Phillies vs Astros World Series just looks weird

Tony-OH

I know I'm old, but man, a Phillies vs Astros looks like a great NLCS matchup! lol

It's still hard to see the Astros in the AL after all these years.  

In other news, this will be the 3rd time the Phillies have been in the World Series since playing the Orioles in 1983 while the Orioles have not returned. Ask 13 year old me when the Orioles won that year whether I thought that would be possible and i would have laughed at you.

Of course an expansion team from 1996 has won two WS (Marlins), another has been in one (Rockies) and Washington has one.

Let's hope we can get on a new run over the next decade and change all that.

• Upvote 1

Trey, take careful notes on how the Club equips you to handle a few All-Star caliber pitchers.    We're going to need the big conference room for your intake interview.

Trey + Dusty make it an easy call who to root for, and after all these Orioles years, rooting for "Goliath" will be a nice palate cleanser.     Bryce gets to have same moment of his baseball life as I hoped Manny would get, and in both cases just as a pure fan of baseball excellence, seeing their growth from 20 to 30 has been a pleasure.

For anyone keeping count at home, here's a quick rundown from a FG commenter where many of the Trash Can principals are these days:

Most of the main characters have moved on. Hinch is in Detroit, Cora is in Boston, Beltran and Luhnow are off in purgatory, Springer is a Blue Jay, Correa is a Twin, Marwin Gonzalez is…somewhere.

I think Bregman and Gurriel are the only ones who benefitted from it who are still there. Altuve wasn’t involved (and actively opted out, and was classy about his apologies and not passing the buck when the team was caught). Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker and Jeremy Pena and Chas McCormick weren’t around. 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m pulling for the Astros because of Trey and Philadelphia sports fans are generally insufferable. 

I'd never root for the Yankees, but I would have been slightly amused to see a NYY-PHL World Series, for the sole reason just to see the carnage caused by their two fan bases along that 100 mile stretch of 95.

I'm a little surprised they weren't more flexible with the start date of the Series, given the quick endings to both LCS on the same day.  They could have bumped it up to Wednesday, both teams would have still had two days rest, and the series might end before Halloween if its another short one. 

As it stands, we get four days rest for both teams.  Hasn't that been a stated issue for the bye teams that lost in the division series, all the time off before then leading to rust?  I don't buy into that anyway but it was avoidable here.   The tickets typically say TBD for the date and time anyway, so can't imagine that was the issue.

Anyway.  Just strikes me as odd to have that layoff.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I'm a little surprised they weren't more flexible with the start date of the Series, given the quick endings to both LCS on the same day.  They could have bumped it up to Wednesday, both teams would have still had two days rest, and the series might end before Halloween if its another short one. 

As it stands, we get four days rest for both teams.  Hasn't that been a stated issue for the bye teams that lost in the division series, all the time off before then leading to rust?  I don't buy into that anyway but it was avoidable here.   The tickets typically say TBD for the date and time anyway, so can't imagine that was the issue.

The TV deals probably dictate what dates are used.

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

They have always scheduled the World Series ahead of time as long as I can remember, and if the LCS's end early, there is a layoff.   I think having both LCS's end this early is somewhat unprecedented.

In the last 20 years, the ONLY time both LCSs went 5 games or less was 2014 (KC swept Balt 4-0, San Fran beat SL 4-1).  

The ALCS ended on Oct 15, the NLCS ended on Oct 16, and the World Series started on Oct 21.  So that was the exact same layoff we are dealing with this year.   In fact the Royals actually had an additional day off than either team this year.

On 10/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, Fiver6565 said:

Especially with a gameless Sunday and November around the corner.

Edited by LA2

Astros pinch-hit for Trey with Aledmys Diaz in the 10th with 2 down and 2 runners on. WP by Robertson moved both runners into scoring position--but Diaz grounds out to end the game. Great comeback against Verlander (gave up 5 of the 6 runs) for the Phillies and their fans!

On 10/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m pulling for the Astros because of Trey and Philadelphia sports fans are generally insufferable. 

Unfortunate that his bat has gone cold: 0-16 in the postseason. Pinchhit for in the 10th with 2 runners on with another right-handed hitter with similar career stats vs. RHP. Will be interesting to see whether Baker moves away from Trey rest of the Series, especially after week performance during the regular season: .176 / .258 / .364 / .622 (8 HRs, 18 walks in 186 PAs).

Trey...just oy.

Hard to blame Dusty though, the first four plate appearances didn't look promising in any way here. 

I was surprised looking it up just now to see the Bregman "double" had an xBA as high as .140.     That really looked like a guy knowing his park just trying to get it in the air towards Schwarber and that wall.     I thought it might have been an xBA more like .010, a can of corn in 29 other parks.

The Altuve "single" courtesy of Brandon Marsh was down at .090.

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Trey...just oy.

Hard to blame Dusty though, the first four plate appearances didn't look promising in any way here. 

I was surprised looking it up just now to see the Bregman "double" had an xBA as high as .140.     That really looked like a guy knowing his park just trying to get it in the air towards Schwarber and that wall.     I thought it might have been an xBA more like .010, a can of corn in 29 other parks.

The Altuve "single" courtesy of Brandon Marsh was down at .090.

Trey looked as terrible at the plate as I have ever seen him look.  He swung at virtually every pitch, all breaking balls off the plate and was trying to pull everything.   He is in a horrendous slump apparently. 

You know he is playing bad when the only comment announcers made every time he came up was “well, he beat cancer. “

still hope he breaks out.. and I still think Astros have this ..