A look back at the 2021-22 Free Agent Starters

Frobby

2 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

Folks worry about Rodon’s injury history but give a pass to DeGrom who is a bigger injury risk. Rodon has started 55 games the past two years vs DeGrom’s 26 starts. I am going with Rodon. Probably can get Rodon and a good hitter (Maybe Rizzo) for the cost of DeGrom. Or get Rodon and Clevinger. 
What contracts will DeGrom, Rodon, Clevinger, and Rizzo get?

We want to win a World Series- Lyles is good for a rebuilding team. That was great for the past. Don’t waste money on 

Rodon, Kremer, GROD, Bradish, and a battle for the 5th spot. 

Wells, Voth, and Hall battle for a starting job but can be pushed to the pen. Would give us lots of depth if we add two SPs. Who knows what Kremer and Bradish will do next year. 
Bullpen- Bautista, Tate, Perez, Baker, Wells, Hall, Voth, Akin, Baumann, etc.

Add Rodon, Clevinger (or trade for SP), Rizzo, and backup catcher. That gives us a great shot to fight for the division.

Good post. With Rodon, the last two years were FA years. The previous four are what concern me. Maybe he is the guy he has appeared to be the past two years. They would have to be certain of that. I did not realize that Degrom had injuries in 2021 also. It would all depend on the size and length of the contract, and the medicals.

I like your plan, and it’s not my money, but that would be great. I don’t think Rodon will come much cheaper than Degrom, if at all. I like Clevinger and Rizzo. 

I was a big fan of Dylan Bundy even prior to him being drafted. Obviously, his maximum potential was derailed by injuries. I don’t know if either party would be open to it, but I think I would sign Bundy to a 3 year deal around 5mm and have him be a reliever. 

Edited by sevastras

9 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

The Orioles will not make a deep playoff run with a bunch of Lyles in the rotation. He is a mediocre pitcher at best. We have a bunch of those. Hopefully GROD turns into a TOR pitcher but it will take some time. Let’s use the 10 million toward a stud pitcher. 

I don’t think anyone would argue your point, but we aren’t talking about ‘a bunch of Lyles types’, we are just talking about one who would be our 5th starter. I wouldn’t hate the move, but I feel like we could do better.

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

I was a big fan of Dylan Bundy even prior to him being drafted. Obviously, his maximum potential was derailed by injuries. I don’t know if either party would be open to it, but I think I would sign Bundy to a 3 year deal around 50mm and have him be a reliever. 

I assume you mean a 3 year 5M deal?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I don’t think anyone would argue your point, but we aren’t talking about ‘a bunch of Lyles types’, we are just talking about one who would be our 5th starter. I wouldn’t hate the move, but I feel like we could do better.

I hear ya. I just don’t know really what we will get from Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Voth, etc. I lump all of those as 3-5 type starters. We need a couple of studs who are 1&2. Hopefully GROD can be shut down guy for us and maybe it will happen year 1 from him. If we can’t get Rodon, maybe we trade and get Bieber. Getting two guys that you feel good about and that will throw 6 or 7 quality innings every time will take pressure off the bullpen. 
If we slot Lyles into the 5th spot, who are your 1-4 starters?? How does that rotation compare to like the Astros, Braves, Phillies, Yankees, Tampa, Dodgers, etc?

41 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Getting two guys that you feel good about and that will throw 6 or 7 quality innings every time will take pressure off the bullpen. 

Guys like that barely even exist.  There were 18 pitchers in all of MLB who made 30+ starts and averaged 6+ innings per start.  I doubt we are acquiring two of them.  

59 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

I hear ya. I just don’t know really what we will get from Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Voth, etc. I lump all of those as 3-5 type starters. We need a couple of studs who are 1&2. Hopefully GROD can be shut down guy for us and maybe it will happen year 1 from him. If we can’t get Rodon, maybe we trade and get Bieber. Getting two guys that you feel good about and that will throw 6 or 7 quality innings every time will take pressure off the bullpen. 
If we slot Lyles into the 5th spot, who are your 1-4 starters?? How does that rotation compare to like the Astros, Braves, Phillies, Yankees, Tampa, Dodgers, etc?

I'm sure the Guardians will be happy to give us Bieber! Just need to include Grayson and probably another O's top 10.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Guys like that barely even exist.  There were 18 pitchers in all of MLB who made 30+ starts and averaged 6+ innings per start.  I doubt we are acquiring two of them.  

Fair point. Rodon was close to the six innings mark this year with 17 starts of six or more innings. Clevinger was coming off injuries but still managed above 5 innings. He avg 6 or more innings in 2018 and 2019. Bieber did avg Six plus innings but what package will it take.

28 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

If we take GROD and Gunnar off the table, what package can we offer?  Would Hall, Westburg, Mayo, and another prospect get it done?

Not close IMO. Maybe when Bieber is a year closer to FA. Think about it, if we come off a playoff year with Grayson as our ace and a couple years of control, are you trading for a bunch of 2nd tier prospects? I would think Holiday minimum would be needed to start a conversation.

5 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

I would even be happy with 1 #1/2 starter vs. 3 more #4/5 starter types.

16 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

I’m not sure we can make enough moves in one off season to rival these staffs. We would need to acquire 1 legit guy, another pretty legit guy, and have GRod be really good immediately and Bradish and Kremer be who they were down the stretch for a full year. Not sure all those things are going to happen, in fact I’m quite sure they won’t. But I do think acquiring the starters is the right path because it also solves your bullpen depth issues.

7 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I’m not sure we can make enough moves in one off season to rival these staffs. We would need to acquire 1 legit guy, another pretty legit guy, and have GRod be really good immediately and Bradish and Kremer be who they were down the stretch for a full year. Not sure all those things are going to happen, in fact I’m quite sure they won’t. But I do think acquiring the starters is the right path because it also solves your bullpen depth issues.

Maybe one big time starter in the off-season then another at the trade deadline. Houston got Verlander and Grienke during the season. The good thing is that we are in position right now.