What would you do this offseason?

NJOriolesFan

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But Elias would never do that trade because his focus is not just one year.  His focus is a ten year run.

I think Elias can address the current and future needs of this team.   He can use a strong system to upgrade this team for the "now" and still continue to build with younger players through other moves.   

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I think Elias can address the current and future needs of this team.   He can use a strong system to upgrade this team for the "now" and still continue to build with younger players through other moves.   

I agree.  And he will do that by not making this trade.

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It's not a bad deal, but it's a bit too rich for my blood. I like Lopez, but he's got some flaws and while Floro has been a steady reliever for quite some time, I'm not sure the duo is enough for that package for me. I don't mind Hays and Westburg, but the add-on of Beavers is a bit too much. The third player in that deal would probably have to be a bit lower end for me to bite. I think a package of a Hays/Urias/Mateo/etc level Major Leaguer and a high end prospect (Westburg/Ortiz/etc) makes sense as the baseline. 

I still think that’s a little rich for Lopez.  Let’s not forget he’s only thrown more than 111.1 innings once in his career.   I think I could argue with a straight face that three years of Hays is as valuable as two years of Lopez, especially when you consider that Lopez will cost more than Hays in 2023 and 2024.  Now, I do think Miami would want a second piece, and I’d be willing to give them one, but it would probably need to be someone outside our top 10.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You realize those are very good, right?   

No, I guess that I don't realize that. I just found out about ERA+ a month or so ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a 108 ERA+ mean that he was a slightly above average pitcher last season? I get that 126 and 138 are pretty good.

12 hours ago, tabletop said:

No, I guess that I don't realize that. I just found out about ERA+ a month or so ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a 108 ERA+ mean that he was a slightly above average pitcher last season? I get that 126 and 138 are pretty good.

Just for a sense of scale, here’s a few sample career ERA+ numbers:

Scherzer 135

Kluber 126 

Darvish 120

Ray 109

Gausman 106

So, 108 is a pretty decent number   Not the ace of a staff, but a pitcher any team would be happy to have.