Hyde Finishes Second in MoY.

Can_of_corn

8 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Buck has won four times in 4 different decades with 4 different teams. How's that for a legacy? Does it get him in the HoF if he never wins it all?

Who knows? I think most of us see the playoffs as the slightly weighted coin flips that they are, but will whatever committee tasked with voting on managers in 10 years?

My guess is the managers from this era who go in are going to be the ones with the most rings. I think Bochy goes in despite an overall record below .500.  Piniella and Leyland have a World Series each, a season or two more games managed than Buck, and they're not in.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The votes take place before the playoffs.  The Mets improved by 24 games and won 101, which is hard to do.  The Braves caught them, but it was mostly because they got red hot, not because the Mets faltered.   The Mets went 18-13 in Sept./Oct.  So, Buck was a reasonable choice.   It was a close vote.

Ah ok, that makes a little more sense then. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How is he going to win if the O's do reasonably well next year? He will have managed the up-and-coming team of young stars to contention and perhaps the playoffs, as is expected.

I guess that's the narrative for Francona and he won, so why not?  Buck didn't win for the plucky upstarts who played Lew Ford in a postseason game against the Yanks, he won for having the best record in the AL East.  But I'd argue his work in '12 was as impressive or more so than in '14.

I think if the O's had snuck into the wild card, it would have been Hyde's year. To win next year the O's definitely have to make the playoffs, and be more in the spotlight than they were this year. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Adley only finishes second in the ROY voting.

Hyde only finishes second in the MOY voting.

Next you’ll be telling me that Lyles only finished second in the Cy Young voting!

The real test, IMO, will be Odor's performance in the LICBP (Largest Intangible Contribution by a Bad Player) balloting. If he doesn't win it, something's wrong.

And how about this for some off-season entertainment: an eating contest among MLB's top innings eater (most IP or fan selection from a screened group)? Could be a highlight of the Hot Stove season.

• Haha 1