Hyde Finishes Second in MoY.

Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Francona should credit Tony LaRussa with half the award. Cleveland's playoff berth had as much to do with the dumpster fire on the South Side of Chicago as anything Francona did, IMO.

In fairness, the White Sox had a crazy number of injuries.  Anderson, Moancada, Jimenez and Robert all missed 50-80 games.  

So after 132 games, the Orioles were 71-61 and the Guardians were 68-64.  Over their last 30 games, the Os went 12-18 while the Guardians went 24-6.  So not only is their final record 9 games better than ours, but they finished much stronger.  I am sure the quality of opponents played some role in that, but that is a massive difference in how they closed out the season and if the voting was done right after the regular season, then that may have played a big role in how it played out.  For as much as we accomplished, our closing act was awful.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

In fairness, the White Sox had a crazy number of injuries.  Anderson, Moancada, Jimenez and Robert all missed 50-80 games.  

True enough, but thinking back on that game where LaRussa sent Luis Robert to hit against Felix Bautista when Robert had only one functioning arm, one wonders if manager decisions increased the length and severity of some of those injuries.

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Steaming load of ****. 

Exactly, it's pure crap.  Guy manages a team that hasn't approached 60 wins in years to a winning record and they give the award to the guy who took a 80-win team and managed them to 92 wins. 

Basically the voters are saying that it would have taken divine intervention for Hyde to win it.

43 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

So after 132 games, the Orioles were 71-61 and the Guardians were 68-64.  Over their last 30 games, the Os went 12-18 while the Guardians went 24-6.  So not only is their final record 9 games better than ours, but they finished much stronger.  I am sure the quality of opponents played some role in that, but that is a massive difference in how they closed out the season and if the voting was done right after the regular season, then that may have played a big role in how it played out.  For as much as we accomplished, our closing act was awful.  

You're acting like the two teams were on equal footing.  The Guardians were probably projected to win 85 games, the Orioles 65 at best.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Exactly, it's pure crap.  Guy manages a team that hasn't approached 60 wins in years to a winning record and they give the award to the guy who took a 80-win team and managed them to 92 wins. 

Basically the voters are saying that it would have taken divine intervention for Hyde to win it.

Both teams exceeded their Pythagorean by the same amount.

I think this season, in the American League, you had two deserving candidates for a lot of these awards.

I would have rather Hyde won but this isn't something I can get worked up about.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're acting like the two teams were on equal footing.  The Guardians were probably projected to win 85 games, the Orioles 65 at best.

I have no idea what projection you would view as valid and which would not but here is one.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-predictions-2022-standings-odds-projections/fma2piarlv1zx99jwbokqlb5

Sporting News had Cleveland projected at 67-95 with the O's at 70-92.

Edited by Can_of_corn

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think that's the first time I've ever seen you get upset about an award or something.  Was half expecting some yarn about Seamus McGillicuddy getting shafted for some award in the Federal League in 1831.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both teams exceeded their Pythagorean by the same amount.

I think this season, in the American League, you had two deserving candidates for a lot of these awards.

I would have rather Hyde won but this isn't something I can get worked up about.

After Buck didn't win in '12 I take the attitude that the writers just don't use the criteria I would.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that's the first time I've ever seen you get upset about an award or something.  Was half expecting some yarn about Seamus McGillicuddy getting shafted for some award in the Federal League in 1831.

I shouldn't get upset about awards where one of the O's reps is Roch Kubato. I'm sure he's a decent guy, but I'm just not going to be in alignment with opinions of beat writers much of the time.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea what projection you would view as valid and which would not but here is one.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-predictions-2022-standings-odds-projections/fma2piarlv1zx99jwbokqlb5

Sporting News had Cleveland projected at 67-95 with the O's at 70-92.

Championship Odds in early April had the O's at +30000, Guardians +8000.  O's last in the majors, Guardians 21st.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I shouldn't get upset about awards where one of the O's reps is Roch Kubato. I'm sure he's a decent guy, but I'm just not going to be in alignment with opinions of beat writers much of the time.

Shame he didn't get to vote on RoY where he might have had a bit of a conflict of interest.

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

Agree with this. Once we all take our Orange colored glasses off it becomes clear that Hyde had a very good year but the team's play down the stretch and failure to make the playoffs sealed his fate.