Feinsand : Orioles best fit for Nathan Eovaldi

Roll Tide

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'm not sure about that. MLBTR has Eovaldi projected at 2 years, $17 million per and Syndergaard at 3 years, $12 million per.

I'd take that Syndergaard deal in a heartbeat and maybe ever try to tack on a club option for a 4th year. If he regains some of his earlier form or discovers another gear with his reduced stuff through more experience using it, that contract could be quite a bargain.

If the team doctors are comfortable with Syndergaard’s arm then I’d jump all over him at that price. 

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.  I imagine they will end up with pretty similar deals.  I only think Syndergaard will be more attractive because of the lack of pick associated with him.  

I agree about the lack of a compensation pick, it is definitely part of why Syndergaard is my preference if we aren't going to play in the deep end of the free agent pitching pool. Eovaldi isn't so much better than Syndergaard that he is worth a draft pick and I think Taillon and Walker offer less upside than Thor.

Of course, I'd really rather just Cowboy Up and make a WOW offer to Verlander that gets him to sign here but I suspect that that isn't in the cards.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was really good in 2021.

He's about what I expect.

Heck maybe we get lucky and he goes off and has another great year.

Not a bold move by a team that is going for it.

What would be a bold move? 1/$75M for Verlander? $300M for Degrom? We are going to have to outbid everyone else for the top pitchers. 

43 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I would be fine with Syndergaard as well.  I think I would prefer him slightly.  Syndergaard is going to cost more and might have more suitors as well.  He's almost exactly 2 years younger and put up a 1.8 WAR last year compared to Eovaldi's 1.5 and carries a 16.7 carrer WAR vs. Eovaldi's 15.8.  You get a little more K per 9 and BB per 9 with Eovaldi but similar production overall.  

You really can't compare their career WAR. Syndergaard is not the pitcher he used to be. I also think the draft pick is less of a factor now that it is a #3 pick. That said I do not feel strongly about one or the other.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I also think the draft pick is less of a factor now that it is a #3 pick. 

Joey Ortiz was a 4th round pick. Just saying.

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I have too much respect for Elias to make those jokes now. 

I suspect it was more of a Peter thing than a DD thing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Eovaldi is one of these pitchers who can drive you crazy.   Super talented, but inconsistent game to game and even within starts, and often hurt.  Unfortunately, that seems to be a pretty common thread among the second tier pitchers.

Sounds like Ubaldo 2.0

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Made me do a double take as well. 

I never would have guessed it before looking at their stats. FWIW, I don't think Eovaldi would be as wild as Ubaldo if he played here. Ubaldo was very up and down with some very good seasons and also very bad ones. 

But, the potential is there for Eovaldi to allow too many baserunners especially if he starts to degrade as pitcher in his mid-30's. 

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I never would have guessed it before looking at their stats. FWIW, I don't think Eovaldi would be as wild as Ubaldo if he played here. Ubaldo was very up and down with some very good seasons and also very bad ones. 

But, the potential is there for Eovaldi to allow too many baserunners especially if he starts to degrade as pitcher in his mid-30's. 

That control is the only major difference.  Eovaldi gives up 1.6 less walks per 9.  That’s pretty significant.    

Edited by emmett16