“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

We hope.  There are no guarantees.  They threw away a potential playoff spot last year because of the attitude “everything will be good long term”.  That’s the wrong attitude.

You're right there are no guarantees, but as is too often you engage in gross hyperbole.

They didn't "throw away" a potential playoff spot last year.  They traded away two guys at high value, who both immediately cratered, and actually played better after the deadline deals.

Now, I'm not saying sit on your hands and do nothing.  But I am saying they should not be maximizing wins this year to the detriment of wins in future years, and many of these FA contracts recently handed out are going to do exactly that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Its all calculated risks, like Elias said yesterday.      In a debrief of Elias' bigger 2022 decisions, there's also months-long deployment choices around Grayson Rodriguez and Gunnar Henderson alongside those with Trey Mancini and Jorge Lopez.

The process to maximize the chemistry of the 2022 clubhouse would have been helped competing harder, at the cost of forgoing Povich, Johnson and an improved shot at controlling Grayson Rodriguez's 2029 season.

39 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The Orioles are never going to sign a pitcher like that unless a new billionaire buys them. 
Plus TOR pitchers are overvalued as to needing them to win the WS  .. look at Verlander 16-11 in playoffs , Scherzer 7-7 , Verlander 1-6 in WS ? 
Either way .. the only TOR we will ever see here will come from Norfolk. 

M*A*R*K    C*U*B*A*N 🙏

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Gunnar's 21.  Grayson is going to be on a pitch limit.  Hall hasn't established  role yet.  Three top 5 picks figure to debut in the next 2 years or so.

This team's going to continue to improve internally for several years now.

So then we’re picking the last 2-3 years of Adley’s time with the O’s as the time when we want to see big signings? The window is open now. We can’t assume Adley will be extended, if we’re all being honest with ourselves I think we all know he won’t be extended. At least we should all be in ‘believe it when I see it’ mode. So that means we’ve got 5 more years with a crazy good talent. Use those 5 years and don’t make excuses for the club as to why they should keep kicking the can down the road. There’s always going to be a reason to hold back. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Let's stipulate Verlander and Degrom won't come here. Who do you sign? Do you really want Rodon for 7 years?

I know overpaying is "cost of doing business." But let's also stipulate you are allowed one bad contract at a time. You are asking ownership for $20-$30M per and they say they are willing to give it to you, but this is it, no do overs. Is Carlos Rodon the guy you want to overpay for, and do you really want to do it now? 

I think you’re right that Rodon for 7 years is a hard pass. I’m not saying they need to be stupid. I’m saying they should target the players that can push this team into true competitor status and make it happen. This includes trading for the right guys too. I’m arguing that pay roll should be significantly increased and they should start taking some risks. Again, not stupid like 7 years for Rodon. But I don’t see why the O’s couldn’t have signed Yoshida if they wanted a lefty corner outfielder slugger. They have the pieces to make a Reynolds trade happen. I don’t really want to go down the list of potential moves but sitting on your hands and signing Cordero is not the way to do it. Not when they’re as close to being legit as they are right now. I’m just flabbergasted at the audacity of the organization to be so vehemently risk adverse when they’re currently in a position where they have no other significant contracts on the books in the near future.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

There is no shortage of folks wanting to buy teams, why let a wildcard like Cuban in?

You think he's going to revitalize the appeal of the sport with the young?

You don't think Mark Cuban is one of those groovy hep cats that appeals to hipsters, dweebies, and wasteoids alike?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

There is no shortage of folks wanting to buy teams, why let a wildcard like Cuban in?

You think he's going to revitalize the appeal of the sport with the young?

He wants to win! He has very deep pockets! He doesn’t need to take money from the club like the current ownership group.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He wants to win! He has very deep pockets! He doesn’t need to take money from the club like the current ownership group.

He doesn’t spend a ton of his wealth on his team. He owns a team in a league with a salary cap. Cuban actually seems too smart to dump a ton of his own money into the payroll of a sports team. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I also think he’s way too smart to dump a ton of his own money into baseball salaries. 

If he spends what’s available it’s a big improvement from where we are now. As revenues increase from the improved product more revenue will be available for payroll. The $210 million from National TV and Revenue sharing won’t be stuffed in his pocket. Revenues this year are estimated to be at $275 million and that isn’t counting $30 million from the Disney deal that will certainly disappear. 

****** And he won’t keep the MASN profits from the Orioles that could be used as resources****

It doesnt have to be Cuban but I think he’d be a huge upgrade from the Angelos family

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, oriole said:

So then we’re picking the last 2-3 years of Adley’s time with the O’s as the time when we want to see big signings? The window is open now. We can’t assume Adley will be extended, if we’re all being honest with ourselves I think we all know he won’t be extended. At least we should all be in ‘believe it when I see it’ mode. So that means we’ve got 5 more years with a crazy good talent. Use those 5 years and don’t make excuses for the club as to why they should keep kicking the can down the road. There’s always going to be a reason to hold back. 

The window is open now.  Exactly.  It's open whether you sign Bassit or not.

Ultimately, the franchise will not be successful because of the FAs it does or does not sign.

And, again, that doesn't mean do nothing and sit on your hands.  But the thing about  FAs is that it isn't only a matter of when, but it's a matter of who.  I don't see a lot that makes sense on the FA market this year; if it made sense to sign a middle infielder then it would be very different.