Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

15 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

o share that perspective because it’s important to be able to see and understand things from a world view and not just the bubble we live in here in the States. 

Spot on .. and anyway, I've been told by credible sources that political messaging is NOT allowed on here. Ironically, the people that bring these things up actually make it a bigger issue than if they had just kept quiet...  cause now we're talking about it several posts long.

How about this? Everyone just read what people say and if it irks you, then mentally acknowledge, give yourself your virtue signaling point, and then just keep quite about it anyway - move on with your day just like the rest of the world and the rest of the forum.

NOW .. back to Fuji - he's awesome when he's awesome and like a lot of the rest of the O's pitching staff (from what I've observed) can fall into getting shellacked mode. I don't know how to make our pitchers more consistent. I mean, Cano (my least fav pitcher) stinks for several games and then comes in and throws some incredible strikeout pitches that would make even Grandma stand up without her walker. Fuji is not only a great pitcher but has the persona that people like - he's cool. I'd like to see him become well known.

• Upvote 1

JFC.

Anyway, Fuji scares the crap out of me when he enters the game.  I think @Tony-OHmade a really important point earlier though, he can't be used on back to back days...at least that's what the small sample size has shown since he's been here.

And that's fine, but that's not always living in reality if he wants to be a good reliever at the ML level.  I bet that every reliever outside of the closer would prefer not to pitch on back to back days but no one gets that luxury.  

He has some excellent stuff, though I'd like to see more movement on his fastball.  I think it was noted earlier that it's pretty straight.  To my eye, it looks pretty straight, too.

But with a week and a half to go in the season and a playoff berth secured, we've gotta roll with what we've got and he's a significant part of the arm barn, for better or for worse.  

I am hoping he can get some good instruction over the offseason and that he can be a weapon for us in 2024.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

JFC.

Anyway, Fuji scares the crap out of me when he enters the game.  I think @Tony-OHmade a really important point earlier though, he can't be used on back to back days...at least that's what the small sample size has shown since he's been here.

I didn't watch the first part of the season and only started watching recently... what was his record? Did he blow a lot of games earlier on?

Just now, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

I didn't watch the first part of the season and only started watching recently... what was his record? Did he blow a lot of games earlier on?

We picked him up a week or so before the trade deadline from the A's.  It was a bit of an under the radar type of move...when he initially arrived the results were very mixed.  Sometimes he looked great, other times he was wild.  He, IIRC, admitted through his interpreter that he was nervous to come to a team that was headed down the stretch in playoff contention.

I feel like I should look up the stats (I am too lazy to cruise over to bbreference) and his game records before saying this, but I also feel that he's been a bit better over the past 2-3 weeks or so.  Yesterday against the Astros, he looked like the guy who just arrived from the A's before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel like I should look up the stats (I am too lazy to cruise over to bbreference) and his game records before saying this, but I also feel that he's been a bit better over the past 2-3 weeks or so.  Yesterday against the Astros, he looked like the guy who just arrived from the A's before the deadline.

When guys do great for a week or two straight and then start tanking, I'm always curious how much of that goes with them living up the good life: do something awesome, get rewarded with fame, let it go to your head and affect your decisions, start to blow your game. 

I'm not saying that's what's going on, but sports are a mental game as well and I got to imagine that at this level the distractions are many. 

I know he is struggling, and he might not belong in the playoff roster, or at least in a prominent high leverage role. But 101 is 101. There is stuff there. I am curious if they re-sign him and work with him. Give him some “secret sauce.” It’s a legit arm.

His mental make-up is certainly in question, as his confidence runs hot and cold. Did I mention he throws 101?

35 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I know he is struggling, and he might not belong in the playoff roster, or at least in a prominent high leverage role. But 101 is 101. There is stuff there. I am curious if they re-sign him and work with him. Give him some “secret sauce.” It’s a legit arm.

His mental make-up is certainly in question, as his confidence runs hot and cold. Did I mention he throws 101?

Did you take into account how hard he throws? Just curious...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...