Orioles interested in Syndergaard?

Snutchy

• Snutchy changed the title to Orioles interested in Syndergaard?
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Holt thinks he can fix him then he could be a great addition.  And when I say fix him I don't mean make him what he was, but rather make him an effective starter.

I don't think this would be a secondary move.

He was fairly effective last season.  I think there's a bit more to be gained on the 3.94 ERA if you can get an uptick in velocity and higher K rate (6.35/9 in 2022).  But he still got 2.2 WAR, so is worth somewhere around 15mil.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have no problem looking at Syndergaard as a possible secondary move for our pitching staff.  I’d be disappointed if he was our biggest pitching signing of the offseason.   

Who would you want/expect that is significantly better? Outside of the big three (Degrom, Verlander, Rodon) I don't see Syndergaard as distinctly worse than any of the remaining guys. Degrom is off the table, and no one has said anything about the O's being in on JV and CR. Syndergaard is younger and has more established upside than Eovaldi and Bassitt. I wouldn't be thrilled either but I wouldn't be jumping up and down for Bassit either. Seems like the any truly exciting scenario would be via "buy side trade" as I think Elias calls it.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His stuff has unquestionably diminished. Don’t see why he would be on the radar.

He's not that far removed from TJ surgery. He has a reputation as being a very hard worker who keeps himself in exquisite physical condition. He is experienced and was rather effective last year without the big FB. If he can dial it up just a bit at selected times and continues to get outs with his secondary pitches he might be a very effective starter. Downside is that he is right-handed and not likely to come cheaply in this market. 

I was surprised he turned down the QO last year, and surprised when LAA beat it by a few extra million for their annual patchwork that doesn't work Trout-Ohtani supporting cast project.

He managed a decent year, but one that makes me think more of Drungo and others evergreen point that velocity can help a young pitcher survive to be an old pitcher by giving him time to figure out how to pitch in MLB.    I think that's approximately what he's done, and he's alright I guess, but too close to Lyles level for much excitement here.    I believe pitchers first year back from TJ might not be their return to as good as they are going to get, but his procedure was March 2020, so last year he was 2+ years past his by Opening Day.

I guess the report signals he may be a BAL favorite in the third or fourth tier.    He pitched in a 6-man rotation on Ohtani's team most of last year.

Edited by Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

He's not that far removed from TJ surgery. He has a reputation as being a very hard worker who keeps himself in exquisite physical condition. He is experienced and was rather effective last year without the big FB. If he can dial it up just a bit at selected times and continues to get outs with his secondary pitches he might be a very effective starter. Downside is that he is right-handed and not likely to come cheaply in this market. 

There is a lot more downside than that.

And Chris Davis kept himself in top physical condition as well.

MLBTR:

Syndergaard, 30, turned in a 3.94 ERA across 134 2/3 innings in 2022, his first full year back from 2020 Tommy John surgery. He started his one-year, $21MM deal with the Angels but was dealt to the Phillies at the deadline. The former Met’s fastball was well down from his pre-surgery days, as it dropped around five miles an hour to sit at 94.5 mph in 2022, while his slider that once sat at 93.1 mph dropped to 85.1. As a result, his strikeout rate fell considerably (16.8 % vs 24.5% in 2019).

Today’s version of Syndergaard might not be the overpowering one that earned the nickname ‘Thor’ at the Mets, but it still amounts to a very valuable pitcher, and he’s still young enough that perhaps he can claw back some of that lost velocity in 2023. MLBTR predicted Syndergaard would receive a three-year, $36MM deal this winter.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1