Orioles pursuing Wacha?

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They tore the team down.  They built an A+ farm system.   They put together a young team that surprised last year with 83 wins.  They've done things the right way as far as the farm system and infrastructure for procuring and developing talent goes.   They seem genuinely interested in building something that will last.   Yep.   I give them the benefit of the doubt.

They’ve done a great job emulating the A’s to this point. 

I thought Gibson was the Lyles replacement. Why do we need two of them? Actually I haven't understood yet why Wacha is considered any better than Lyles, who was good for 179 & 180 innings the last two seasons as opposed to Wacha's 124.67 & 127.33. When one factors the consequences that has on the bullpen and the extra responsibility of spot starters it makes me wonder.

Edited by LA2

56 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Huh?

It’s almost like you are suggesting for fans to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In your opinion, why do they deserve that? What have they done, other than a total tear down (which cost them nothing) that gives you confidence in their competence. 

The fact that the team won 83 games last year in the toughest division in baseball, and has the best farm system in MLB?

Honestly, I’m extremely confident in their competence.   I’m less confident in their willingness to spend money.  But given the good position they’ve put the team in, yes they will get the benefit of the doubt from me.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The fact that the team won 83 games last year in the toughest division in baseball, and has the best farm system in MLB?

Honestly, I’m extremely confident in their competence.   I’m less confident in their willingness to spend money.  But given the good position they’ve put the team in, yes they will get the benefit of the doubt from me.

That’s 83 wins without subtracting anything off the MLB team or from the farm. Signing Wacha buttons up the pitching staff and allows us to get to the deadline without making any trades. At the deadline we’ll have a better idea how Hall and Means are looking. 

Wacha doesn’t cost a pick. Eovaldi does. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

They tore the team down.  They built an A+ farm system.   They put together a young team that surprised last year with 83 wins.  They've done things the right way as far as the farm system and infrastructure for procuring and developing talent goes.   They seem genuinely interested in building something that will last.   Yep.   I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm well past giving any benefit of the doubt to the Angelos clan. Beyond that, for me, one of the things Elias gave up by taking this tear-it-down-to-the-studs approach to a rebuild is benefit of the doubt. If you're going to make me suffer through those awful teams up to last year, then you need to come through with championship-caliber results on the other side. I don't want a team that pats itself on the back for managing to stay on the fringes of contention with a miniscule payroll. Elias and ownership absolutely, positively need to stick the landing here, or else it was all meaningless. I consider it fair to view things with a critical eye until they prove willing and able to achieve that. 

Just now, deward said:

I'm well past giving any benefit of the doubt to the Angelos clan. Beyond that, for me, one of the things Elias gave up by taking this tear-it-down-to-the-studs approach to a rebuild is benefit of the doubt. If you're going to make me suffer through those awful teams up to last year, then you need to come through with championship-caliber results on the other side. I don't want a team that pats itself on the back for managing to stay on the fringes of contention with a miniscule payroll. Elias and ownership absolutely, positively need to stick the landing here, or else it was all meaningless. I consider it fair to view things with a critical eye until they prove willing and able to achieve that. 

Something tells me that all of us Oriole fans have been through the same suffering.    I couldn't stand Peter Angelos meddling.  Thinking he knew better than everyone else.   Disregard for the farm system and the Latin American free agents.   

When people lump all of the Angelos "clan" in together it seem pretty ignorant to me.   John Angelos is the antithesis of his father when it comes to running the team.    I'm thankful that he took over and had the balls and brains to hire Elias and say "do things your way".    The team is a good position.  Talent on the current 25 man roster.   A well stocked farm system.   A low payroll.  Things are in a good place.   Now, with one "lift-off" comment and no major acquisitions, posters such as yourself, are making demands for compensation for all of their suffering.    With ZERO acquisitions this team would be fun to root for and watch next year.   I realize that's not enough for you and many others.   You demand a championship caliber team.   Hey!  Wouldn't we all like that?

You don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I'm not sure what good it's going to do you.   Seems a lot easier to sit back and actually see what the end result is than venting each day on here about things that haven't happened yet.  

I mean Elias and his crew get the benefit of the doubt for competence, sure. They lost a few hundred games intentionally to pull it off, but the talent evaluation and development has been great and as a lifelong fan since the early 90’s, I am truly grateful for that finally.

I don’t give them the benefit of the doubt for valuing 2022 or 2023 though. That isn’t just an Angelo’s family thing. It’s a fallacy that adding to this years team and not taking away from last years, robs the 2024-2027 teams, as Elias put it. I’m tired of the disingenuous lies. 

Edited by Slight Upward Arc

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

The line between your jokes and non-jokes is getting thinner and thinner.

The line in question was clearly not a joke.

You just didn't want to admit you failed to understand what I said so you knowingly falsely claim it was a joke to try and shift the blame for your misunderstanding instead of just admit you made a mistake.  Instead it's my fault you "didn't get the joke"

Kinda sad you won't even own up to something that insignificant.