Eric Hosmer?

jrobb21613

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Can you defend Frazier?

Yes, already have. But it comes down to two different ways to go. Playing the prospects in the infield is less reliable on the defensive end. They want the pitchers to get out of innings when they should. Frazier is a contact guy, not a big guy like Hosmer. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, is anybody “all excited” by the Gibson or Frazier moves?   There’s a difference between being excited about these moves and not thinking they’re the worst moves ever made in the history of MLB.

Thank you. People really read what they want to read sometimes.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, is anybody “all excited” by the Gibson or Frazier moves?   There’s a difference between being excited about these moves and not thinking they’re the worst moves ever made in the history of MLB.

I think if we also get Hill and with the exciting signings of Gibson and Frazier this could also happen to the Orioles. 

Padres expected to place 2023 season-ticket sales cap for first time in history. opened. New ticket requests for the 2023 season pushed that total to “more than 20,200” since news of the Soto trade broke.Aug 5, 2022

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Yes, already have. But it comes down to two different ways to go. Playing the prospects in the infield is less reliable on the defensive end. They want the pitchers to get out of innings when they should. Frazier is a contact guy, not a big guy like Hosmer. 

He also has the 9th softest contact rate in mlb last year among qualifiers. And he’s not enough of a needle mover. I haven’t read defensive info on Norby or Westburg but I’m betting they are as good or better than Frazier and can match his offense at very least.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He also has the 9th softest contact rate in mlb last year among qualifiers. And he’s not enough of a needle mover. I haven’t read defensive info on Norby or Westburg but I’m betting they are as good or better than Frazier and can match his offense at very least.

No argument about his EV. He talked about making some changes, and that Elias had the same changes in mind. I do not know what he will be offensively, but he can be a guy who gets on base and hits line drives all over the field. Frazier will bring above average defense to a place where you can value defense higher. But this isn’t his thread. Hosmer is a guy that plays poor defense now, and does not hit near enough for a MLB average 1B. 

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

No argument about his EV. He talked about making some changes, and that Elias had the same changes in mind. I do not know what he will be offensively, but he can be a guy who gets on base and hits line drives all over the field. Frazier will bring above average defense to a place where you can value defense higher. But this isn’t his thread. Hosmer is a guy that plays poor defense now, and does not hit near enough for a MLB average 1B. 

I didn't watch a ton of the Mariners last year so I'm not sure how they were constructed on defense.

But if Frazier is a solid defensive second baseman why did he have 38 games in the outfield?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't watch a ton of the Mariners last year so I'm not sure how they were constructed on defense.

But if Frazier is a solid defensive second baseman why did he have 38 games in the outfield?

The stats support that Frazier is solid, but this is a good question.  I note that only 18 of his OF games were starts.   He had quite a few games where he started at 2B but moved to the OF late in the game; other times, the opposite.  Pretty unusual.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The stats support that Frazier is solid, but this is a good question.  I note that only 18 of his OF games were starts.   He had quite a few games where he started at 2B but moved to the OF late in the game; other times, the opposite.  Pretty unusual.  

I have wondered if his LF/2B switching was a little bit of the draw.     If Clubs do the move of having Austin Hays stand where Rougned Odor stood against lefty pull types, Frazier would figure to have a big edge on Hays handling whatever scalded grounders got past Mountcastle and Urias, and throwing routinely to 1B.     This could also mess up any traditional defense metrics that try to use "outfielder assists" as an input (Adam Frazier, coming for Roberto Clemente's records!).

More in the weeds, come Sarasota will Hays test out an infielder's glove?     The dirt guys usually wear smaller ones, right?    No idea if rules will allow LF/"2B rover" to carry two gloves, or have the bat boy run one out between Byron "I hit flyballs to LF" Buxton and Joey "I don't" Gallo.

Abraham Toro played almost all the other Seattle 2B games, but I don't think he ever started more than a few in a row as Frazier avoided total job loss in the bad year.     If you look at their Batting Orders though, you can see the First to near Last demotion.

Saw this note about Hosmer's fellow thoroughbred from back in the day - it can be rough how the GMs talk at the back end when a small market takes its strategized bite at the apple, it doesn't gel, and then it is the back years.     TBD if he can make it any deeper than Chris Davis' shocking first PA of Spring Training season-ending muscle strain.

Reds GM Nick Krall was non-committal when asked about Moustakas' role in 2023 and said "He is on the roster".

Krall made these comments during the Winter Meetings, so while it is not set in stone, it appears Moustakas' role will be limited in 2023. The 34-year-old is entering the final year of his four-year deal and has dealt with many injuries limiting him to just 140 over the past two seasons.