Dodgers Actively Looking for CF to Replace Bellinger…..Would you trade Mullins?

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It is crazy how deep they are that May could be expendable. Hate to lose Mullins but I'd be interested. A sneaky move might be something like Mateo for Buehler. Who says no to that one? 

As for the Pirates, the face of their franchise has publicly said he wants to play for another team. We'll see. 

The Dodgers. Instantaneously. I know Buehler is hurt but that’s still not realistic. When he’s healthy he’s one of the five to seven best starters in the game and Mateo, while a good fielder and exciting, has one year of full time starting experience under his belt as a 27 year old. It would be shocking if that trade happened. But also amazing and I’d love it. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It is crazy how deep they are that May could be expendable. Hate to lose Mullins but I'd be interested. A sneaky move might be something like Mateo for Buehler. Who says no to that one? 

As for the Pirates, the face of their franchise has publicly said he wants to play for another team. We'll see. 

Reynolds was born in Baltimore 🤔

May seems like the most logical move for the Dodgers given his recovering from TJ. The O’s (or any receiving team in a trade for May) would be taking an obvious risk to a deal for him but the dude is a bonafide TOR talent that has proven his ability to pitch in MLB. I would be somewhat nervous of a Mullins for May straight up just because of the risk but I would still do that deal 100 times out of 100. The risk/reward is far too great. 

Buehler is an interesting idea though he gives you nothing at all for this upcoming year. I would have to think on a Mateo for Buehler deal and would probably eventually pull that trigger but I think something like that depends on how serious the O’s are about contending for the playoffs this upcoming year. If that is a legitimate focus and goal for the team for 2023 I don’t know that it makes sense. It’s interesting though. I probably do that deal but can see why the O’s would not do it.  

22 minutes ago, joelala said:

The Dodgers. Instantaneously. I know Buehler is hurt but that’s still not realistic. When he’s healthy he’s one of the five to seven best starters in the game and Mateo, while a good fielder and exciting, has one year of full time starting experience under his belt as a 27 year old. It would be shocking if that trade happened. But also amazing and I’d love it. 

I can see this side of it as well and agree that LAD probably say no. From the O's side though, I still am not sure that it makes a ton of sense if their goal for 2023 is to contend for the playoffs. If the playoffs is a legitimate target for the team, I think you have to receive ML (at least ready) assets in return for any of your ML assets.

Additionally, this is Buehler's second TJ. Statistically a third injury risk is significantly higher than a second injury. At this point you might consider Buehler damaged goods, which, in theory could bring down his value dramatically. 

25 minutes ago, joelala said:

But Buehler has only one year of control left after he comes back, he will be damaged goods, and even when back he is probably 5th or 6th on their depth chart. Buehler for Mateo sounds crazy based on pedigree but it's not so crazy. Trade Simulator gives Buehler a 4 vs 3.2 for Mateo. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

But Buehler has only one year of control left after he comes back, he will be damaged goods, and even when back he is probably 5th or 6th on their depth chart. Buehler for Mateo sounds crazy based on pedigree but it's not so crazy. Trade Simulator gives Buehler a 4 vs 3.2 for Mateo. 

GIF by Paramount Movies

I know, I know.  Sorry.  Someone had to do it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Dodgers will be looking to trade prospects, not core members of their starting rotation. Makes more sense for them to go after Reynolds and offer prospects until Pittsburgh says yes. 

It makes sense for who?  The Dodgers?  Pittsburgh?  If they want to just keep adding prospects, then they could just offer it to whatever team has the more valuable CF.  

39 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Affirmative .. The controversial idea of them throwing in Bauer was only that if the Dodgers really valued Mullins, throw in another guy from their side to sweeten the deal (though I argue Mullins for May straight up is favorable to the O's). Given that they are going to cut ties with Bauer anyway and once he is reinstated he will recoup salary from LAD, they will more than likely want to get something for him. Braddish? Kremer? Mateo?

LAD have two holes at SS and CF. The Orioles have holes in the rotation. Controversial thought aside, whether or not Bauer is an option for Baltimore is irrelevant if in a deal with them there are two starters coming back to Baltimore. May + for Mullins and Mateo makes a lot of sense from and for both teams. 

Is it realistic? Probably not but if you could pair Dustin May with Grayson Rodriguez to anchor your rotation for the next three to five years, without giving up any of your top rated young talent, I think you have to do it. 

I started a similar thread last week guessing that LAD would be interesting trade partners.

Potential LAD needs - Fangraphs projects Muncy (DH), Trayce Thompson (CF), Lux/Taylor (SS/2B), Vargas (3B), and Outman (LF). 

I think they would be more interested in dealing prospects (and Bauer) than current rotation members.

As for Bauer - I think he's still a TOR arm.  His reputation is mud.  I don't think he fits the character/PR image, but he's the type of talent/value that Elias hunts for.  Maybe we'll see what Elias actually values more in the coming months...  Bauer has a Youtube channel where he brings in HS and college hitters to pitch against them.  He's engaging and the kids seem to enjoy the opportunity to take BP against a guy like him.  

52 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It makes sense for who?  The Dodgers?  Pittsburgh?  If they want to just keep adding prospects, then they could just offer it to whatever team has the more valuable CF.  

I started a similar thread last week guessing that LAD would be interesting trade partners.

Potential LAD needs - Fangraphs projects Muncy (DH), Trayce Thompson (CF), Lux/Taylor (SS/2B), Vargas (3B), and Outman (LF). 

I think they would be more interested in dealing prospects (and Bauer) than current rotation members.

As for Bauer - I think he's still a TOR arm.  His reputation is mud.  I don't think he fits the character/PR image, but he's the type of talent/value that Elias hunts for.  Maybe we'll see what Elias actually values more in the coming months...  Bauer has a Youtube channel where he brings in HS and college hitters to pitch against them.  He's engaging and the kids seem to enjoy the opportunity to take BP against a guy like him.  

The Dodgers are reportedly going to cut Bauer loose upon his reinstatement. I agree that they would prefer to get something for him but I doubt any team is going to willingly take on his salary and/or the potential PR challenges that come with him. I think we all know my position on Bauer but even so, I don't think that you give the Dodgers anything for Bauer. They need to incentivize their trade partner to take him. With the plethora of starting options available to them, one could argue that May is the highest risk for the Dodgers and thus the easiest for them to part with in a trade. 

If you're the Dodgers do you turn down Mullins, Mateo and Kremer/Braddish for Bauer and May?

Dustin May is a talent, but he is someone who in the past has thrown more sinkers than 4-seam fastballs.*

I kind of thought if you didn't pitch like Tyler Glasnow or Felix Bautista or Kyle Bradish, you weren't doing it right and they wouldn't want you.

*this may also have been true of Pittsburgh Gerrit Cole

More seriously, it seems like any Club in the market for a genuine CF would try for Bryan Reynolds first.

The BTV algorithm guesses May about the same as Mullins, Trevor Rogers and Pablo Lopez, so for Elias could be an Either Or if those were all possibilities.

May has some of the best stuff in all of baseball and has a non-zero chance to be the Dodgers best pitcher this year. His upside is enormous, the Dodgers aren't trading him for Cedric Mullins.

Trevor Bauer is a serial harasser of women  online, had a restraining order filed against him by a woman in Ohio even before the most recent allegations against him in California, and is a straight up despicable human being.  I've stuck by the Orioles for 40 years but would 100% drop the team and boycott all games, merch, etc if they acquired Trevor Bauer from the day arrived.

4 minutes ago, CanadianOriole said:

May has some of the best stuff in all of baseball and has a non-zero chance to be the Dodgers best pitcher this year. His upside is enormous, the Dodgers aren't trading him for Cedric Mullins.

Trevor Bauer is a serial harasser of women  online, had a restraining order filed against him by a woman in Ohio even before the most recent allegations against him in California, and is a straight up despicable human being.  I've stuck by the Orioles for 40 years but would 100% drop the team and boycott all games, merch, etc if they acquired Trevor Bauer from the day arrived.

Do you mean the woman who filed the restraining order without any specific allegations against him but also at the time the restraining order was filed she omitted the fact that she hadn't actually seen him in person for over a year? Is this the woman who was arrested for showing up to his apartment underaged piss-drunk, assaulting him and was arrested for underage drinking due to her "extreme state of intoxication" and her refusal to leave his apartment? Is this the same woman who when he texted her ridiculous texts (is this what you mean by online harassing?) in a very clear attempt to get her to leave him alone, she responded to him that it was "kind of hot that I bother you that much aw" ? Do you mean the woman who demanded $3.4 million from him to not publicly broadcast details of their relationship? 

Do you mean this woman?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

The Dodgers are reportedly going to cut Bauer loose upon his reinstatement. I agree that they would prefer to get something for him but I doubt any team is going to willingly take on his salary and/or the potential PR challenges that come with him. I think we all know my position on Bauer but even so, I don't think that you give the Dodgers anything for Bauer. They need to incentivize their trade partner to take him. With the plethora of starting options available to them, one could argue that May is the highest risk for the Dodgers and thus the easiest for them to part with in a trade. 

If you're the Dodgers do you turn down Mullins, Mateo and Kremer/Braddish for Bauer and May?

I don’t think I’d want that deal if I’m the Orioles. I think your over valuing May. His career 2 WAR is 1.8 and he has 4 years of control ….but at what value? He’s pitched 143 innings over 4 seasons.

I have to think Kremer is more valuable right now alone. I’d raid their farm system if they want Mullins and Mateo. Miller, Stone, and 2-3 others.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think I’d want that deal if I’m the Orioles. I think your over valuing May. His career 2 WAR is 1.8 and he has 4 years of control ….but at what value? He’s pitched 143 innings over 4 seasons.

I have to think Kremer is more valuable right now alone. I’d raid their farm system if they want Mullins and Mateo. Miller, Stone, and 2-3 others.

I tend to think systems like the Yanks and Dodgers are always overrated because of the systems.  However, on pure stuff, May is elite.  It'll be if he's on the field and can hone it.  Kinda like Joba Chamberlain a few years back.

If they want Mullins and Mateo, I'm requiring May be the centerpiece coming back with 2-3 from the farm.

All this is hypothetical though.  We haven't even heard the Dodgers are interested in either guy, but that they're looking for a CF, and that teams are interested in Mateo.

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Looks like ARZ CF and TOR C may be matching up as some of the game's big up the middle talents find Clubs that will use them.     Heyman tweet doesn't have detail, but Passan saying Gabriel Moreno the centerpiece, so TOR basically continuing to sharpen around their young core.

For Morenoi and Guriell.  Good deal for AZ imo. 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, banks703 said:

Do you mean the woman who filed the restraining order without any specific allegations against him but also at the time the restraining order was filed she omitted the fact that she hadn't actually seen him in person for over a year? Is this the woman who was arrested for showing up to his apartment underaged piss-drunk, assaulting him and was arrested for underage drinking due to her "extreme state of intoxication" and her refusal to leave his apartment? Is this the same woman who when he texted her ridiculous texts (is this what you mean by online harassing?) in a very clear attempt to get her to leave him alone, she responded to him that it was "kind of hot that I bother you that much aw" ? Do you mean the woman who demanded $3.4 million from him to not publicly broadcast details of their relationship? 

Do you mean this woman?

…Trevor, is this you?