Buy Side Trading Partner - Mets?

Just Regular

It looks like Buck and the rest of the Mets leaders don't like James McCann as a nugget as they signed Omar Narvaez recently, and already gave uber-prospect catcher Francisco Alvarez some October at-bats.

Two years ago, McCann was signed for way too long and way too much 4/40, and is now on the back years.     His contract structure also put 60% of the total now as he escalates from 8 to 12.     The Mets at the highest tax level push I believe almost 2-for-1 savings on any contract dollars they don't want they can offload.     Some hedge fund manager of a GM probably sees a zillion ways to extract some value out of this situation.

The Orioles need a backup catcher, and the Mets may have excess SP's right now, with Carrasco having been most mentioned among veterans.    Of course trades must have players on both sides so it doesn't just look like debt being moved around, so I'm going to propose Anthony Bemboom to go to NYM in any deal like this.      Bemboom for McCann, Carrasco and $25mm.

4 years/$40.6M (2021-24)

• signed by NY Mets as a free agent 12/15/20
  • $600,000 signing bonus, paid 1/15/21
  • 21:$8M, 22:$8M, 23:$12M, 24:$12M
  • Upvote 2

The concept here is that McCann is a negative value guy in a lot of ways, so you take him on to get Carrasco for less.  The problem is, you are still having them pay for McCann.

So really, you are saying the Mets cut McCann and then deal Carrasco for Benboom.  That’s a really big no.

Now, if it was we take on all salaries and we just trade them nothing players, that is possible.

Appreciate the ambition, but that trade's not going to happen. I also don't think the Mets would have signed Narvaez if they thought Alvarez was major league ready (on the defensive side). My guess is they either want to get him some catcher reps at AAA or they play to play him quite a bit at DH. 

My first question is whether McCann, ignoring all costs, would be a solid backup ML catcher?

I don't know the answer. Maybe others do.

If that answer is yes, then you figure out a deal. It's just that the deal you proposed is not anywhere near the realm of what's reasonable. If you wanted to offer Bemboom for McCann and $18 million, they'd do it. More money? Who knows. Then you have to offer whatever it would take for Carrasco. 

To be clear, at least partly joking playing around with numbers on either side of an equals sign.

James McCann's field value isn't all the way to zero either even though he's probably played himself out of Starting Catcher and into backup territory.

I'm not sure if it is full Hyun-Soo Kim, but Buck seems not to like McCann and/or the GM has completely moved on.    Its just numbers on a balance sheet.     Carrasco around 1/15 seems to be about fairly priced.    Do the Mets crave that performance for their team (with a high tax on it), or want to let the Orioles play him and pitch a David Peterson type for the MLB minimum?

I don't think Carrasco (if they feel they have other options as good) commands much more trade value than Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo does for us.

But to continue the joke - at that throw it also only increases John Angelos' 2023 payroll by a few million.    It isn't a joke if any of the 14 other AL Clubs arbitrage the scenario to produce more field value for their team.

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

I can honestly say that is one of the most ridiculous trade proposals I have ever seen in my life.

It'd have sounded crazy to me too for the most of my life I believed baseball players were traded for baseball players.

BAL becoming an offshore account NYM can move tax liability....whoda thunk it?

Despite recent hard times, I believe James McCann still solidly a Top 60 catcher, so some team should want to play him, and the rest is just math.

21 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Hats off for the OP  getting close on this one!  No doubt the PTBNL will be someone akin to a Bemboom.

Yep, unfortunately I think OP probably viewed Carrasco as the central piece and McAnn as a necessary evil to get Carrasco. Still much closer than the hundreds of other proposals we've seen. Can Just Regular get us a pitcher????

• Upvote 1

I still think there may be a Carrasco deal to be done with the Mets.  Just may depend on them signing another pitcher first.  It might be something that the two GMs are continuing to work on.  The McCann deal may have just been easier to settle on now so they decided to move with it now.