Does this team still need another RH bat?

interloper

I was playing around with possible lineups against lefties and was struck by how much we're missing a Mancini-type if we want to stack the lineup with right-handed bats.

Here's an example of a possible lineup against a lefty, give or take your preference of how it's ordered. 

CF Mullins (L)
CA Rustchman (S)
DH Santander (S)
1B Mountcastle (R)
LF Hays (R)
3B Henderson (L)
2B Urias (R)
RF McKenna (R)
SS Mateo (R)

Right away, we see an issue with DH/RF and the presence of McKenna. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand that Stowers hits lefties and would be much preferred in the DH/RF slot here! But based on Hyde's track record, he's probably going to opt to start a RHH. Having both Mateo and McKenna in there is pretty brutal, and so I wonder if there's room for a RHH despite all the LHH talk/acquisitions. 

In theory, Mancini fits of course, but it seems like he's going to the Cubs and I'd rather have more of a straight platoon guy instead of feeling obligated to start someone every day. Also I don't think he wants any part of the wall. 

On the farm, the best fit is maybe Westburg at DH with Santander in RF. Bit of a waste for Westburg but at least he'd be playing. Thoughts? 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

BTW I think this is basically the reasoning behind the ill-fated Aguilar move. Unfortunately, it's clear Stowers would have been the better choice against lefties. But there's not much use going down that rabbit hole. It is what it is. 

On the free agent market, here are some RHH:

Drury (2B/3B/OF) - probably commands a multi-year deal though
Voit (DH) - a straight DH, and a poor 1B
Sano (DH/1B/RF) - can he come back from knee injury?
Myers (1B/OF) - might have some competition - .815 OPS vs LHP is kind of nice tho

• Upvote 1

Problem is, the natural guy to replace vs LHP is Mullins, but we don't have a great option to play CF. One thought I had was that could be a role for Joey Ortiz. He had a .980 OPS vs LHP last year in about 100 AB's. 

Everybody else other than Gunnar is RHB or SH, so if we want to replace them it would be for an overall upgrade at the position rather than a DH-type. 

Stowers has reverse splits so I'd like to see him fail before bringing in a DH-type. In general I'd rather have a surplus of LHB's than RHB's. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

BTW I think this is basically the reasoning behind the ill-fated Aguilar move. Unfortunately, it's clear Stowers would have been the better choice against lefties. But there's not much use going down that rabbit hole. It is what it is. 

On the free agent market, here are some RHH:

Drury (2B/3B/OF) - probably commands a multi-year deal though
Voit (DH) - a straight DH, and a poor 1B
Sano (DH/1B/RF) - can he come back from knee injury?
Myers (1B/OF) - might have some competition - .815 OPS vs LHP is kind of nice tho

Would have much rather have had Drury than Frazier, even on a 2 year deal.  He mashes lefties and is more versatile than Frazier.

I am really curious to see McKenna and Mullins usage patterns v. LHP in the early going.    By the end of the year McKenna was getting a decent amount of starts and even hitting leadoff occasionally.

Mullins' use maybe getting curated some is part of why I am rooting for Gunnar-Adley 1-2 most days.     Would also buy Hyde a little time pushing McKenna's 3rd PA to whatever right handed middle reliever is going to crush him in the 5th or 6th inning if the CF was down in the order some.