Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

48 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I still think we play our hand for two of these guys (Lopez, Luzardo, Cabrera), and they get to pick 3 of Westburg, Cowser, Mayo, Mateo.

And if you scale it to one, then we only give up two of those pieces.

I think Elias doesn't part with more than one top ten prospect in any deal.  Marlins asked for Arraez.  Twins countered with Kepler.  Typical posturing.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Casas is the only rumored non established MLer that has been mentioned. They are consistently linked to established players in terms of what they are asking.

Now, maybe reports aren’t the same as reality, we don’t know that. What we do know is that reportedly they are targeting established MLers.

The Os have 5 established ML options that make sense for Miami. 

I think you're speculating way too much. The Marlins are probably just as interested in MLB ready prospects as they are established major leaguers. Basically they're looking for players who they can plug into their lineup this season. Players like Cowser, Wesberg, etc. all fit that bill. 

Also, there's no way this team can afford to trade Mountcastle if they're trying to contend this season. They literally have no other depth at 1B. Santander, Urias/Mateo (if they even have trade value), Hays, and Cowser are probably our only trade chips. If I were the Marlins the conversation would start and end with Cowser. 

Edited by HakunaSakata

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would offer 2 of Santander, Mateo, Urias and Mountcastle for Cabrera and see if they bite.

Do we really think it'll take 2 for Cabrera?  Seems like an overpay.  I think Mateo OR Santander for Cabrera straight up could be even, unless I'm missing something.

33 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

General comment. Can we please stop pretending that Urias and Mateo have any significant trade value because (spoiler alert) they do not. 

Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a stat that measures relative player value?  Maybe weigh the player's overall value to some type of constant such as, say, replacement player value?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I think you're speculating way too much. The Marlins are probably just as interested in MLB ready prospects as they are established major leaguers. Basically they're looking for players who they can plug into their lineup this season. Players like Cowser, Wesberg, etc. all fit that bill. 

Also, there's no way this team can afford to trade Mountcastle if they're trying to contend this season. They literally have no other depth at 1B. Santander, Urias/Mateo (if they even have trade value), Hays, and Cowser are probably our only trade chips. If I were the Marlins the conversation would start and end with Cowser. 

I find it funny that you say it speculating too much and your next sentence is “they probably want..”

Im not speculating about anything. I’m saying this is exactly what has been reported. There have yet to be tied to any players with zero ML experience and outside of Casas, every player tied to them is an established Mler.

I keep  seeing you talk about what you would do and what they should do. Guess what, that doesn’t matter. What matters is what they want to do and reportedly, they want to do what I’m saying. 

35 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Do we really think it'll take 2 for Cabrera?  Seems like an overpay.  I think Mateo OR Santander for Cabrera straight up could be even, unless I'm missing something.

It could..and maybe it’s an overpay on paper but I’m not sure we see it that way in a year or 2.

I want the highest upside guy. He has tons of service time and TOR upside. His command and control have to improve. If it does, look out.

I am more than fine “overpaying” for a talent like him.

45 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

General comment. Can we please stop pretending that Urias and Mateo have any significant trade value because (spoiler alert) they do not. 

They aren’t leading a trade for a top guy but they absolutely can be part of a package for a top guy. 

They are young, cheap and play premium positions at varying levels of above average. 

49 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Urias just won a Gold Glove.  Mateo probably should have.  Urias had a 3.6 rWAR season, Mateo had a 3.4 rWAR season.

Explain how they don't have any trade value?  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Urias just won a Gold Glove.  Mateo probably should have.  Urias had a 3.6 rWAR season, Mateo had a 3.4 rWAR season.

Explain how they don't have any trade value?  

One is a significantly below average hitter and the other is around league average. The Marlins have the worst lineup in the NL, they want good hitters. The players they are rumored to be coveting are better hitters than these two. 

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

One is a significantly below average hitter and the other is around league average. The Marlins have the worst lineup in the NL, they want good hitters. The players they are rumored to be coveting are better hitters than these two. 

a8aca265-8432-4ed2-808c-c0292517e25c_tex

You didn't see this movie?  They made a book out of it, too.

Miami has a clear logjam at SP and clear needs in the OF and at SS.  Signing Cueto and trading Rojas have intensified that situation.  Miami has clearly been holding off any trade until they get top dollar.  I don't think the Cueto and Rojas transactions have made things easier for them.  I also believe that Baltimore has been active in the trade market, but are also holding off for top dollar on their trade chips.  I have little to no doubt that the two teams have talked.  Between the two teams right now, it seems to me that things seem to be leaning in Baltimore's direction, as far as getting closer to what they want out of a trade.