What is the real reason for our off season?

DocJJ

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Astros FIRST extended Altuve in 2013.

The 2013 Astros lost 111 games.

Good try? Tho.

His extension in 2013 was for 4 years with two option years.   He only had two years of service the only thing the extension did was give them an option to pick up 2 more years.    He got a 4 year deal worth 12.5 million total over those 4 years he was already under team control for.  Not much of a risk when the contract was guaranteed for the amount he was already under team control for the only actual extension was a non guaranteed option years.  

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

His extension in 2013 was for 4 years with two option years.   He only had two years of service the only thing the extension did was give them an option to pick up 2 more years.    He got a 4 year deal worth 12.5 million total over those 4 years he was already under team control for.  Not much of a risk when the contract was guaranteed for the amount he was already under team control for the only actual extension was a non guaranteed option years.  

Still more than the O's seem willing to do.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm hardly surprised that a team making a concerted effort to win is bringing in more revenue than a slightly larger market team that has been actively tanking for years.

That's part of what is so insulting when Elias talked about how team payroll will go up after attendance goes up.

Very true.  CoC do you know where that quote may lie?  I read it but when I tried to find it for reference and quote I couldn't.  I tried multiple searches, if you could find it I would appreciate your help!!

There is a big advantage to being a division winner. Elias does not believe they are at that point yet. He has said as much. There is risk in acquiring a FA arm and he does not believe they are at a point in time to get into a bidding war to accomplish that. 

The club has not reached their peak. They are on the upswing. In terms of regular season peak that is still probably at least 2 seasons away. He does believe the club can make the postseason. That his is goal. He does not believe they are at a time to be aggressive with trades. Another year to observe the young talent and see where they stand while also competing at the same time. The moves he has made are upgrades over the players they replaced and have not cost the team any flexibility. Improving the depth of the roster. He has young talent in system which can make an impact this year. 

He believes the club can be in playoff position with what they have and with a little bit of luck - Means - and young players on the horizon like Cowser and Westburg he can see the roster improving as the season goes along. He will still be in a position to make trades the rest of the off-season and into the season up to the trade deadline. He is holding his assets and has no urgency to move them unless he is overwhelmed. 

He will add another starter. Perhaps he feels he can get similar production for a fraction of the cost and risk.  The question at the trade deadline will be if the team he constructed will be good enough for it to matter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Very true.  CoC do you know where that quote may lie?  I read it but when I tried to find it for reference and quote I couldn't.  I tried multiple searches, if you could find it I would appreciate your help!!

My Google-fu is mighty.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-payroll-young-core-analysis-20221214-nnpcashs7nhnnli3ooek2hfoqa-story.html

He added the team’s payroll would increase as revenues and attendance do, expecting those numbers to rise with the club’s improvement.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Awesome

So when do we trade for a Verlander or Cole? Because I don't see that happening. 

They probably didn’t in Houston either .. after losing 100 plus four years in a row. 
And then 80 plus win seasons for two years and then 2017 when they traded at the deadline in Aug for Verlander and won 101 games
Make no mistake, Elias will not be content just with a team that contends.  But we may not see a big trade like that this offseason. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

They probably didn’t in Houston either .. after losing 100 plus four years in a row. 
And then 80 plus win seasons for two years and then 2017 when they traded at the deadline in Aug for Verlander and won 101 games
Make no mistake, Elias will not be content just with a team that contends.  But we may not see a big trade like that this offseason. 

You don't know the man.

That is pure speculation.

He certainly was content with missing the playoffs when his team had at least some chance late in the season.

Maybe he's content to build this team as well as he can with this budget with an eye towards a better gig down the road.

That's my pure speculation.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:
21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Again, thanks couldn't find it as I thought it came from Angelos- Elais said 'team payroll will go up after attendance goes up'- 

Doesn't that run counter intuitive to most business models run on capital (debt) in that you invest (ie payroll) to grow revenue.  I would think that most models like that will not be the most successful.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't know the man.

That is pure speculation.

He certainly was content with missing the playoffs when his team had at least some chance late in the season.

Maybe he's content to build this team as well as he can with this budget with an eye towards a better gig down the road.

That's my pure speculation.

He was part of St Louis and Houston organizations and has approached the rebuild with same methodology .. i will wait for the results of the next three seasons and see.   
All GMs have budgets.. this is not unique to Baltimore. Do I wish he had more resources? Who doesn’t.. but I will speculate that he is more competitive than you think he is and at least is not actively looking to be Toronto’s President. .. yet