How will the OF/1B/DH plate appearances be allocated?

Frobby

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Assume there are approximately 3,450 plate appearances available between the three OF spots and 1B and DH.   How many of those will go to:

Mullins (672 last year)

Santander (647)

Mountcastle (609)

Hays (582)

McKenna (172)

Stowers (98)

Frazier (121 at those spots for the Mariners)

O’Hearn (145 for the Royals)

Rutschman (97 at DH)

Others

Recall that Mancini got 411 PA last year before he was traded.  “Others” who got PA last year in these spots included Vavra (52 at these spots), Nevin (46), Aguilar (49) and numerous others getting an occasional day at DH.

Mullins 675

Santander 625

Mountcastle 525

Hays 575

Rutschman 125

Stowers  425

McKenna 125

Frazier  75

Moustakas  300 (bring him in to platoon at 1b/dh)

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I wonder if the data shows how Hays/Stowers and Mounty/the alternatives do against certain types of pitchers?  Neither Hays nor Stowers really scream "platoon", but maybe one is solid against 4Seamer and the other is better against Cutters?  So, the usage wouldn't be the lefty/righty matchup but the predominant pitch.

The Orioles seems to value the pitcher's splits more than the hitter's splits in making lineups. 

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Another point to this would have been an addition of JD Martinez/Justin Turner/M. Brantley.  

The first two would have chewed up a ton of DH at bats. That then impacts how Santander is used. He would be mainly a regular RF at that point. There would be no choice. No way could Brantley have played LF here. That impacts things as well. I would have been fine adding someone who is a DH type but it has trickle down impacts. Someone would have been dealt away or you have weakened your OF defense. Obviously it takes at bats away from someone at the least. 

I was not impressed with Stowers glove last year at all. He made some nice plays in a game late in the year but overall he struggled. Hays I thought did slip some but not as much as the metrics show. The new LF has created a need for a better glove at Camden. 

Stowers made some goofy plays in Norfolk last year.  If they value D as high as it seems he could be odd man out.   Westburg better take note and work his tail off on his defensive game.  

Just now, wildcard said:

Mullins 500 Platooned

Mounty  450

Santander 350  Traded at deadline

Hays 300   Injured

Stowers 400 

Cowser 300

Westburg 300

Adley 150

McKenna  150

Norby 150

Short of the Hays injury prediction, this is what I'd LIKE to see happen.

But unfortunately their FA choices make it unlikely that two of Norby, Westburg, Cowser see significant AB's with the big club.