International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

14 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

If they pull off one or more of these, it will slightly lessen the sting of a weak off-season, with the results TBD years from now.

It’s all too easy for us to remember when the team’s idea of “international signings” meant claiming Rio Ruiz off waivers in 2018, or getting Miguel Gonzalez from the Mexican league in 2011. 

Just for the sake of clarity, Rio Ruiz is from California, he was a 4th round pick of the Astros back in 2012 (when Elias was scouting director there), he wasn't an international signing. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the current international free agency system benefits current MLB players more than an international draft would?  Just wondering why the players are so dead-set against an international draft.

I think it’s just a freedom to choose your team thing.  The money part could be made neutral very easily.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if the money was neutral owners wouldn't be pushing for a draft.

I’m not so sure.  The current system lends itself to a lot of corruption and causes teams to have to make verbal commitments on players way in advance.  They’d probably prefer to choose in a more orderly way.   But I’m not saying you’re wrong.  There could be a money angle too.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not so sure.  The current system lends itself to a lot of corruption and causes teams to have to make verbal commitments on players way in advance.  They’d probably prefer to choose in a more orderly way.   But I’m not saying you’re wrong.  There could be a money angle too.  

I think it would also eliminate re need to commit to 14 year olds too. Being able to draft them as 16-17 year old kids is much better. Still a big projection gamble, but certainly better than 14.

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think it would also eliminate re need to commit to 14 year olds too. Being able to draft them as 16-17 year old kids is much better. Still a big projection gamble, but certainly better than 14.

Are they really committing to 14 year olds?

If they "commit" to a 14 year old and when he reaches 16 he is, for whatever reason, obviously no longer a prospect are they going to honor that commitment?

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they "commit" to a 14 year old and when he reaches 16 he is, for whatever reason, obviously no longer a prospect are they going to honor that commitment?

You’d have to ask someone who really knows, but my sense is that if teams make promises they don’t keep, it gets around.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

My understanding is, it depends. The teams are not wanting to sour their reputation out there with trainers, parents and players. Some do fall off completely, and some sign elsewhere. Some sign with the original organization, but at a lower figure than initially discussed.

Basallo and Maikol Hernandez were supposed to be committed elsewhere, but ended up signing with the Orioles. Sometimes, teams will drop a commit to free up money to sign a top end guy. That is what happened with the two I mentioned, at least that was what I heard. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’d have to ask someone who really knows, but my sense is that if teams make promises they don’t keep, it gets around.   

So if a kid is clearly not a player at 16, out of shape or whatever, the team is still going to throw a bunch of money at them?

I'll just disagree.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if a kid is clearly not a player at 16, out of shape or whatever, the team is still going to throw a bunch of money at them?

I'll just disagree.

Go ahead.  I made it pretty clear that I don’t actually know.  In any event, it’s better for the teams If they can wait until the kid is 16 to commit.   

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They can test for Bone Age and project how much more growth someone is likely to have.

Not saying the O's are doing that but it is a thing.

For the record I was 5'10" at 12 and topped out at 5'10 1/2".

Same here, 5’9 at that age and peaked at 5’10. Disappointed that I never made it to 6 ft despite the early growth potential.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s just a freedom to choose your team thing.  The money part could be made neutral very easily.  

It's a money thing, and not really for the kids.  Like AAU here in America now, tons of folks in the international baseball market benefit from the MLB dollars...think of all the handlers and the like who each get their palms greased so teams can have access to the kids.  If a draft was implemented then fewer others would get cash, mainly just the kids and their agents.  All the culture around baseball in some of these other countries rely upon those extra, and largely untracked, payments and benefits.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

But that's just it.  Many people profit off of that corruption, including friend and family of current MLB players, thus the players are against going to a more orderly and/or fair way.