John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I am pretty sure it did happen. There are a few people who were in the original ownership group who are no longer listed, and I recall that Angelos’ original ownership interest was in the low 60’s.   To my recollection, the details of the original group were laid out in the Bankruptcy Court filings when the group bought the team.  I looked at it once, but it’s been a long time.   

From memory, besides Clancy's 24%, there were about 10 minority owners with 1% stakes and Pam Shriver had 2%. So that would be 36% max to others and 64% to Peter. I remember several of the 1% owners had sold back to PA over the years.

32 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

From memory, besides Clancy's 24%, there were about 10 minority owners with 1% stakes and Pam Shriver had 2%. So that would be 36% max to others and 64% to Peter. I remember several of the 1% owners had sold back to PA over the years.

Steve Geppi was a part of the ownership. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Steve Geppi was a part of the ownership. 

Lol.

I was at the Chris Rock concert last year and he was in the front row. The first comedian was calling on random people to ask what they did.  He introduced himself as a former Orioles owner instead of saying CEO of Diamond Comics.

John just comes across as a tool.  These Angeloses, nothing changes.

I wonder if Dan had massaged John's ego a little by prefacing the question with, "John, this is fabulous thing you've done here..." if, after pontificating about his commitment to social issues, John would have actually answered the question. 

Any link to the the Athletic article without the paywall?  Would love to read it.

58 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

John just comes across as a tool.  These Angeloses, nothing changes.

I wonder if Dan had massaged John's ego a little by prefacing the question with, "John, this is fabulous thing you've done here..." if, after pontificating about his commitment to social issues, John would have actually answered the question. 

Any link to the the Athletic article without the paywall?  Would love to read it.

check your inbox

• Upvote 1

I for one don't think this reflects well of Dan or John.  Both had opportunities to do this better.  Both came off looking like tools.  Dan got some debate here a week or so ago.  

I posted then that when he is doing bio stuff on players he is fantastic.  But that too often he seems to be almost personal on the team stuff as if he is still bent out of shape over friends let go.

I don't mind the attachment to friends.  But the org has been bad enough long enough that the idea that humans working in the org could be let go should NOT be something to hold on too.  

And John, bless his heart, destroyed everything possibly good from the charity event AND his role in the MLB as an acceptable owner.  So...I guess there was something good from the exchange.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I for one don't think this reflects well of Dan or John.  Both had opportunities to do this better.  Both came off looking like tools.  Dan got some debate here a week or so ago.  

I posted then that when he is doing bio stuff on players he is fantastic.  But that too often he seems to be almost personal on the team stuff as if he is still bent out of shape over friends let go.

I don't mind the attachment to friends.  But the org has been bad enough long enough that the idea that humans working in the org could be let go should NOT be something to hold on too.  

And John, bless his heart, destroyed everything possibly good from the charity event AND his role in the MLB as an acceptable owner.  So...I guess there was something good from the exchange.

You’re quite right, they both handled this very poorly. Dan’s question, was actually more like six long hard questions in one. His tone was combative from the beginning, and after this exchange, I doubt John is more available than he has been to any media. Why would ownership comment on things under or involved in litigation? Connolly acts like someone owes him something. 

What ownership really is available to the media these days? Most hire guys to handle that and and stay out of their way. Isn’t that what we’d like anyway? But John had to pontificate, and he came across like a wealthy spoiled child. And the whole woke lesson he taught, good grief. 

Why did Dan make it about himself? I remember the days when reporters reported news instead of being the news. Not a fan of Dan, mostly because of his personal jabs at the team. That, along with the wokeness of the athletic. Canceled them long ago, and they’re barely afloat. 

I get all of the shots at the Angelos family, mainly at Peter. John has been overseeing the rise of this team with Elias in charge. The Orioles invest in the poor or underprivileged, so can we just celebrate that for one day and put the knives away?

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, waroriole said:

I like how he got in a jab about John not passing the bar exam. Pretty sad considering he had all the prep classes he wanted at his disposal, a father as a lawyer, and no work/financial requirements  to take him away from study time. 

John actually failed it not once, but three times.

A few interesting tidbits in this follow-up article in the Sun today. 

"...Louis Angelos’ inciting lawsuit included claims that his brother could move the Orioles or sell them.

“Relatedly, the Orioles’ dispute with the Washington Nationals over the regional Mid-Atlantic Sports Network is reportedly creating issues for the Nationals’ attempts to sell.” 

Edited by HakunaSakata

47 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

A few interesting tidbits in this follow-up article in the Sun today. 

"...Louis Angelos’ inciting lawsuit included claims that his brother could move the Orioles or sell them.

“Relatedly, the Orioles’ dispute with the Washington Nationals over the regional Mid-Atlantic Sports Network is reportedly creating issues for the Nationals’ attempts to sell.” 

I thought this from the Sun was also interesting. Even though he said inappropriate to discuss the Orioles,he later on discusses the Orioles.

Angelos made clear he didn’t want to talk about subjects “between the lines” Monday, though unprompted he noted the Orioles’ top-ranked minor league system and 31-game improvement from 2021 to 2022. But his rebuke prevented questions about the 2023 team, notably those related to a payroll that Cot’s Baseball Contracts projects to be the second-lowest opening day figure of MLB’s 30 teams. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

I thought this from the Sun was also interesting. Even though he said inappropriate to discuss the Orioles,he later on discusses the Orioles.

Angelos made clear he didn’t want to talk about subjects “between the lines” Monday, though unprompted he noted the Orioles’ top-ranked minor league system and 31-game improvement from 2021 to 2022. But his rebuke prevented questions about the 2023 team, notably those related to a payroll that Cot’s Baseball Contracts projects to be the second-lowest opening day figure of MLB’s 30 teams. 

I noticed that line too. He looks like he's about 5'5" tall so I imagine he carries that soapbox around with him to give him a few extra inches. 

• Like 1