Mansolino on the shift

SemperFi

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's just nonsense right?  What teams are putting unathletic players at second, short, and third?

More teams aren't "sticking big boppers" in right these days over when I was growing up.

The overall athleticism in the sport has never been higher.

Regarding the bolded, it is all relative.  Every major leaguer is an "athlete" even the fat ones.

What he's saying is less athletic guys have been able to get away with playing in the middle infield of late with the increased shifting.  Odor is a good example imo.  Without the shift, Odor is not a 2nd basemen.  With the shift, because of his arm strength, he can play there and even be an asset.  

Middle infielders, particularly 2b, are going to have to start to prioritize range over arm strength with the new rules.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Regarding the bolded, it is all relative.  Every major leaguer is an "athlete" even the fat ones.

What he's saying is less athletic guys have been able to get away with playing in the middle infield of late with the increased shifting.  Odor is a good example imo.  Without the shift, Odor is not a 2nd basemen.  With the shift, because of his arm strength, he can play there and even be an asset.  

Middle infielders, particularly 2b, are going to have to start to prioritize range over arm strength with the new rules.

So close to a perfect post, until you ruined it with the bolded falsehood.  He was not an asset in the field at all, made a few nice plays, but botched a ton more.  By any defensive metric I've seen, and the eye test, he was far from an asset...indeed he was a liability out there.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

So close to a perfect post, until you ruined it with the bolded falsehood.  He was not an asset in the field at all, made a few nice plays, but botched a ton more.  By any defensive metric I've seen, and the eye test, he was far from an asset...indeed he was a liability out there.  

Well, it was a conditional.  As in he was an asset there some of the time.  And his arm undoubtedly was useful some of the time.  But yes, overall, he was a below average defender.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

But that isn't accurate.

Bat first guys have always played in the infield of occasion, with or without shifting.

Dan Uggla, Derek Jeter, these guys didn't have a bunch of shifting covering their defensive shortcomings.  At their best they could hit well enough to provide value despite the defense.

In today's game with the higher K rate and players tweaking their swing to elevate the ball infield defense is arguably less important than ever.

If you can thump and kinda sorta play second they might very well stick you at second with or without the shift.

Now could this push a Odor type who doesn't really do anything well out the door?  Sure.  But I don't think it's going to be a big shift.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's just nonsense right?  What teams are putting unathletic players at second, short, and third?

More teams aren't "sticking big boppers" in right these days over when I was growing up.

The overall athleticism in the sport has never been higher.

I don't think he said that the personnel will necessarily change, just that the athletic players will be "highlighted". More opportunities for the athletic fielders to make plays. Makes sense to me. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think he said that the personnel will necessarily change, just that the athletic players will be "highlighted". More opportunities for the athletic fielders to make plays. Makes sense to me. 

I think Machado making those plays down the rightfield line while in the shift was "highlighted".

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But that isn't accurate.

Bat first guys have always played in the infield of occasion, with or without shifting.

Dan Uggla, Derek Jeter, these guys didn't have a bunch of shifting covering their defensive shortcomings.  At their best they could hit well enough to provide value despite the defense.

In today's game with the higher K rate and players tweaking their swing to elevate the ball infield defense is arguably less important than ever.

If you can thump and kinda sorta play second they might very well stick you at second with or without the shift.

Now could this push a Odor type who doesn't really do anything well out the door?  Sure.  But I don't think it's going to be a big shift.

What isn't accurate?  That the shift devalued the range of middle infielders?

Just because everybody wasn't Ozzie Smith in the past doesn't reflect on that at all.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But that isn't accurate.

The game had a lot more PEDs then. You could live with poor defense at 2B if someone was hitting 25 HR.