Kyle Bradish 2022 Deep Dive and A Game Plan for 2023

nvpacchi

Wonderful stuff.

With better placement of the slider and sinker down in the zone, I think it would stand to reason that his average 4s fastball might play better up in the zone than before. 

With the development of the rest of his arsenal, do you think that 4s FB can play up "as is" or does he still need to work on tweaking it to be an effective change of eye level?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Wonderful stuff.

With better placement of the slider and sinker down in the zone, I think it would stand to reason that his average 4s fastball might play better up in the zone than before. 

With the development of the rest of his arsenal, do you think that 4s FB can play up "as is" or does he still need to work on tweaking it to be an effective change of eye level?

In theory that does sound good, but the one thing I noted is that he threw his 2 and 4-seamer at about the same vertical height, but was able to get one to move left (cut) and one to more move right (sinker). I wonder if tunneling those pitches in the same area is what help them both play up a bit in September?

The sinker (it's more of a traditional two-seamer than a sinker) is not really great with it's movement, so I think throwing it in the same area vs high for the 4-seamer and Low for the sinker (2-seamer) help them "tunnel" a bit then move in different directions. that can not be easy on hitters.

• Upvote 1

@nvpacchi Nice!

Some notable points from your research: 

* His body position on the rubber also looks more closed as well. 

* The release point cluster in Sept/Oct looks really tight, which hints at repeating his throwing motion consistently... 

* Interesting note about his changed slider profile. 

Ultimately, you're right that it's more about quality of contact/pitching more.  Probably a bit of the mental approach of "Trust your stuff and hit the mitt!"  In another thread, I noted that the sinker was unveiled in September only.  The BB% and K% regressed pretty significantly from that point on, but his batted ball metrics improved significantly as well.  And the sinker was only thrown to RHB (only 1 to a LHB). 

The change in EV allowed in the second half was noticeable as well.  FIP of 3.73 in the second half (3.54 after the sinker was introduced).  More GB and a much improved HR/FB ratio as well.  

A lot of really good reasons to be excited to see what Bradish has in store for 2023!  A top 50-60 SP (i.e. an SP2) is a pretty lofty statement!  I like it!  I'm hoping for a strong #3 in 2023.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

@nvpacchi Nice!

* The release point cluster in Sept/Oct looks really tight, which hints at repeating his throwing motion consistently... 

Ultimately, you're right that it's more about quality of contact/pitching more.  Probably a bit of the mental approach of "Trust your stuff and hit the mitt!"  In another thread, I noted that the sinker was unveiled in September only.  The BB% and K% regressed pretty significantly from that point on, but his batted ball metrics improved significantly as well.  And the sinker was only thrown to RHB (only 1 to a LHB). 

The change in EV allowed in the second half was noticeable as well.  FIP of 3.73 in the second half (3.54 after the sinker was introduced).  More GB and a much improved HR/FB ratio as well.  

A lot of really good reasons to be excited to see what Bradish has in store for 2023!  A top 50-60 SP (i.e. an SP2) is a pretty lofty statement!  I like it!  I'm hoping for a strong #3 in 2023.

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In theory that does sound good, but the one thing I noted is that he threw his 2 and 4-seamer at about the same vertical height, but was able to get one to move left (cut) and one to more move right (sinker). I wonder if tunneling those pitches in the same area is what help them both play up a bit in September?

The sinker (it's more of a traditional two-seamer than a sinker) is not really great with it's movement, so I think throwing it in the same area vs high for the 4-seamer and Low for the sinker (2-seamer) help them "tunnel" a bit then move in different directions. that can not be easy on hitters.

How he tries to use the sinker and four seam in tandem may be the most interesting early season development for him.  As btdart pointed it out, it is a bit surprising he only threw one sinker to lefties.

25 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

@nvpacchi Nice!

thanks! yeah I agree I went a little bullish saying he has #2 upside - certainly lofty! Having 2 above average breaking balls certainly helps set him apart, but getting that command in sync is huge for it to come true.