What do you want to see happen this spring?

jamalshw

This is not about what we expect to happen, but if you had to choose a couple things you'd like to see this spring, what would they be? 

For me, I'd like to see, mine revolves around three key players: 

1. Kyle Stowers - I'd like to see him have a great spring, get plenty of ABs against LHP and earn himself the chance to start some agianst them, and get some time at 1B. With Hays/Mullins/Santander/McKenna/Frazier/Vavra all likely to at least get some time in the OF and with Cowser on the way, I'd like to see Stowers get more ABs and spelling Mountcastle at 1B may be the option here. If Stowers can can be the backup 1B, that also minimizes the need carry a backup 1B on the roster and opens up the last spot to any position. Do I think this happens? No. But I'd like to see it.  

2. D.L. Hall - I'm going to assume Rodriguez makes the Opening Day roster (assuming health) based on what has been said to date on him. I do think Hall starts in the minors unless he bumps someone like Akin from the pen. That said, I'd like to see him show improved command this spring and cement himself as a rotation option rather than a bullpen one. I don't expect him to win a spot in the rotation nor am I even looking for that, but I'd like to see him slow enough command improvement that he solidifies himself in the team's mind as a starter. He can go to AAA and be the next man up when someone goes down in the rotation. Having him be a starter goes a LONG way for this team and minimizes the chances we see Zimmermann or Watkins in the rotation at any point in 2023. 

3. Gunnar Henderson - We all know he's on the team and going to be a key part of whatever success the Orioles have in 2023, but I'd like to see him given a legit chance to take the starting SS job and show he can handle the position well defensively. I get that Ortiz is a superior defender (as is Mateo), but Ortiz is starting in AAA and I'd prefer to see a lineup with Henderson at SS and Urias at 3B (at least some of the time) rather than Mateo at SS and Henderson at 3B. I'm fine with some moving around, obviously, but would prefer to not see Henderson stuck at 3B and Mateo in the lineup most nights (despite how fun he is to watch defensively and on the bases--that would also allow Mateo to serve as a defensive replacement late in games and a pinch runner). 

• Upvote 2

This spring revolves around DL Hall for me.

Obviously you want to see guys look good and feel comfortable, make good impressions, etc…but Hall looking better, having better command, etc…would be great to see.

ST is largely a waste in terms of judging things but a guy like Hall it likely has a level of importance to it that it doesn’t to most players.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to just see everyone get through healthy.  Which already looks to be an issue with Tate and perhaps Bautista but whatever.  

I find ST to be incredibly boring on practically all fronts, from the performances and the ST heroes on down to the position battles to the positive reports in regards to everyone looking great to the games to the debating on who's "going north."  The OD roster is perhaps the stupidest thing to debate of all, the roster shuffling happens almost immediately after the first series of the regular season.  

I really can't find one redeeming quality about ST unless you're going to Florida to see it in person and the fact that the actual season is getting closer.  

So...yeah, just no major injuries.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to just see everyone get through healthy.  Which already looks to be an issue with Tate and perhaps Bautista but whatever.  

I find ST to be incredibly boring on practically all fronts, from the performances and the ST heroes on down to the position battles to the positive reports in regards to everyone looking great to the games to the debating on who's "going north."  The OD roster is perhaps the stupidest thing to debate of all, the roster shuffling happens almost immediately after the first series of the regular season.  

I really can't find one redeeming quality about ST unless you're going to Florida to see it in person and the fact that the actual season is getting closer.  

What can you tell from the video? Looks good coming out of their hands? 😆

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This. I was not expecting to see news today of Tate and Bautista both being injured. That’s two key bullpen pieces whose spring training could be impacted thanks to injury.

Besides health, I’d like to see progress by the prospects and rookies. DL Hall doesn’t need to be dominating. Hall being healthy and available this year is most important after last season’s limited availability. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This. I was not expecting to see news today of Tate and Bautista both being injured. That’s two key bullpen pieces whose spring training could be impacted thanks to injury.

Besides health, I’d like to see progress by the prospects and rookies. DL Hall doesn’t need to be dominating. Hall being healthy and available this year is most important after last season’s limited availability. 

I agree he doesn't need to be dominating, but I think this year is bigger than just availability (which given he's going to be slow played this spring is already off to a bad start). Obviously health is huge, but beyond that, I think this year the Orioles could make the decision to go with him as a back-end reliever over a starter based on what he shows in terms of command, particularly with his secondary pitches. Obviously, developing a pitching prospect into a shutdown back-end reliever is still a win, but it's a bigger win if he's a top/mid-rotation starter. 

GrayRod to be healthy and look dominant.  We've heard nonstop about the guy dominating in the minors.  It's past time to see him against major leaguers.

I'm interested to see how Jackson Holliday looks against major league pitching.  I'm excited that he could be ready as soon as next year, imo.  Likely he only gets into a couple of games, but will be nice to have a look.

Agree with the DL Hall comments.  It was disappointing to hear about his lower back issue and I hope it doesn't hold him back for too long.  Was really dreaming on him breaking camp in the rotation.  Rodriguez-Hall-Irvin-Gibson-Kremer/Bradish could be a sneaky good rotation.

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Givens signing makes more and more sense.

• Upvote 2