Are the Orioles a legitimate playoff contender (Going into Spring training)?

Tony-OH

Are the Orioles a legitimate playoff contender?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Orioles a legitimate playoff contender?

• Yes - they will be in the playoff hunt in September
    • No - No they will be out of the playoff hunt by September

10 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Is there a 40% chance we'll still be in the playoff hunt in September?  Yes.  But I don't think there's a 40% we'll make the playoffs.

ALE - NYY/TOR... TB

ALC - CLE

ALW - HOU

I rank the next tier of playoff contenders as:  SEA, LAA, MN, O's and TEX.

Let's go!

I forgot to mention the Angels but I agree that they could make some noise.

I voted "no", but it's not out of the question either. I think the biggest hurdle will be the improvements that all of the teams that they're chasing has made. 

Obviously they need the pitching to be as good, and most likely better than last season. I think there's some room for improvement on the offense this season without even considering some of the prospects waiting in the wings. It's actually shaping up to be an exciting season in 2023.

YES.  The O's played at a 89 win pace after Adley was called up.  

Lost - Lyles, Mancini and Lopez

Added - GRod, Gibson, Irvin, Givens, Gunnar, Stowers, McCann and Means for half a season plus depth from Westburg, Ortiz, Norby and Hall.

That should increase the 89 wins to 92 wins.

They will be a legit playoff contender in Sept.

I voted no. People underestimate how much went right in 2022. I expect more injury issues (we're already seeing it) and substantial regression from some of Kremer, Bradish, and Voth. I also don't have a lot of confidence in the off-season additions making a big impact. I think they're most likely to be somewhere in the 70-80 win range, probably on the fringes of contention in Sept, but not at that 40% threshold. There's definitely a path to more wins, but I don't consider it a likely one for this year.

I like our position players and how we match up particularly defensively and our infield depth. I like the depth of pitching we have. I'm reminded of the late 1950's early 1960's Baby Birds. I'm voting yes with fingers crossed betting this team's upward trijectory matches the history I noted. Going to be a fun team to follow so at least, everyone enjoy the ride!

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I voted yes, based on the growth and improvement of the existing players.  It's not just 1 or 2 guys, we have about 10 guys that have a good chance to make an impact.  If we are close at the deadline, I imagine we make a blockbuster trade.  

I have seen nothing from ownership or the front office that leads me to believe they will make a blockbuster trade.

Hope you are right and that it pays off.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have seen nothing from ownership or the front office that leads me to believe they will make a blockbuster trade.

Hope you are right and that it pays off.

I mean they have to, don’t they?  Having a half dozen players blocked in AAA doesn’t do anyone any good.  Elias can is on record saying they plan to use prospect capital to acquire outside talent.  I don’t think he is lying.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I mean they have to, don’t they?  Having a half dozen players blocked in AAA doesn’t do anyone any good.  Elias can is on record saying they plan to use prospect capital to acquire outside talent.  I don’t think he is lying.  

#1-#3 starter.

I think Elias is too risk adverse to do a "blockbuster" deal and I don't think ownership will take on the type of contract you generally see in a "blockbuster" deal.

Some smaller deals?  Sure.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

#1-#3 starter.

I think Elias is too risk adverse to do a "blockbuster" deal and I don't think ownership will take on the type of contract you generally see in a "blockbuster" deal.

Some smaller deals?  Sure.

Are you suggesting that Elias will never do a blockbuster deal?   Or just that he won’t do one this year?