Fangraphs top 100

Frobby

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Krjerstad, Stowes, and Mayo have the chance to be a MOO bat.  Mayo's power tools shine brighter than anyone else's, for sure.  

Completely agree. There was a period of time where we thought and hoped it could be Mountcastle. Again, I think Mountcastle has breakout potential, but I'm not sure if he's ever going to be that 40 HR guy. He's a number 5 or 6 hitter on a World Series team. Mayo's bat has the potential where you don't care about defense. You find a spot for him somewhere if the bat turns into that middle of the order potential. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can someone tell me what mediocre twitch is?  

Somewhere between slow twitch (marathon muscles) and fast twitch (sprinter muscles).  It's probably his way of saying that Westburg doesn't have the quick burst speed/agility needed to play 2B/SS to cover the holes (i.e. why he's rated Westburg slower).  But home to second time might be pretty good.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Longenhagen is the only evaluator the whole off season that has had Westburg speed at 40.  Most have him at 55.  This is from when he did the O's ratings.

Can someone tell me what mediocre twitch is?   He says it in Ortiz writeup.

He’s saying that Ortiz’ reactions to the ball off the bat are just okay, not fast, but that he’s able to make up for it with instincts (positioning), body control, quick hands, and a strong arm.

This isn’t a 1:1 comparison, but the best I can do right now is to say think Ramon Urias, whose reactions aren’t that quick, but he makes up for it by catching everything he gets to, having quick hands, and delivering accurate throws. If you look at the advanced metrics, that is one explanation for why Urias looks so much better at third than at second (OAA, etc.). Ortiz has a better arm, range, etc. and that is why I said it’s not a 1:1 comparison, but that’s what Eric is getting at, while not necessarily questioning Ortiz’ ability to stick at short. I don’t have the time to try to find it now but Jon Shepherd said he thought, and that he had talked to scouts that thought, Ortiz would end up at third or second if he continued to put on muscle because of his reactions. I don’t agree with that take and would put significantly more stock in what Tony says than Jon, but it’s out there.

3 hours ago, Sydnor said:

He’s saying that Ortiz’ reactions to the ball off the bat are just okay, not fast, but that he’s able to make up for it with instincts (positioning), body control, quick hands, and a strong arm.

This isn’t a 1:1 comparison, but the best I can do right now is to say think Ramon Urias, whose reactions aren’t that quick, but he makes up for it by catching everything he gets to, having quick hands, and delivering accurate throws. If you look at the advanced metrics, that is one explanation for why Urias looks so much better at third than at second (OAA, etc.). Ortiz has a better arm, range, etc. and that is why I said it’s not a 1:1 comparison, but that’s what Eric is getting at, while not necessarily questioning Ortiz’ ability to stick at short. I don’t have the time to try to find it now but Jon Shepherd said he thought, and that he had talked to scouts that thought, Ortiz would end up at third or second if he continued to put on muscle because of his reactions. I don’t agree with that take and would put significantly more stock in what Tony says than Jon, but it’s out there.

Thanks.  The Mateo, Gunnar, Ortiz comparison at SS is going to be interesting this season.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he has to. He’s a big enough target. SS/3B will be Holiday and Henderson most likely.  The system looks like it could be stocked with outfielders. 

Maybe he makes Mountcastle expendable at some point. 

That will happen as soon as the AS break or by next year some time, maybe OD.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he has to. He’s a big enough target. SS/3B will be Holiday and Henderson most likely.  The system looks like it could be stocked with outfielders. 

Maybe he makes Mountcastle expendable at some point. 

Mayo is a guy that likely gets traded so maybe a little work at those positions, but he should be showcased as a 3b to maintain his value.  If he can show viable at other positions while holding down 3B this year in AA that would be a plus.  

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Mayo is a guy that likely gets traded so maybe a little work at those positions, but he should be showcased as a 3b to maintain his value.  If he can show viable at other positions while holding down 3B this year in AA that would be a plus.  

That only works if his play is worth showcasing.