Advertising on jerseys

eddie83

I hope the O’s never sell the naming rights to Camden Yards.  In addition to being tacky, the sponsorships change so often you can’t keep them straight.  I was in LA a few weeks ago and saw signs for the “Crypto.com Arena.”  I had no idea what that was and assumed it was some new building.  Turns out it was the Staples Center, with a new name.  It’s been that way for a year, apparently. I had no idea.   

The Oakland Coliseum has now had five subsequent corporate names: Network Associates, McAfee, Overstock.com, O.co, and now RingCentral.   Give me a break!

Just now, Frobby said:

I hope the O’s never sell the naming rights to Camden Yards.  In addition to being tacky, the sponsorships change so often you can’t keep them straight.  I was in LA a few weeks ago and saw signs for the “Crypto.com Arena.”  I had no idea what that was and assumed it was some new building.  Turns out it was the Staples Center, with a new name.  It’s been that way for a year, apparently. I had no idea.   

The Oakland Coliseum has now had five subsequent corporate names: Network Associates, McAfee, Overstock.com, O.co, and now RingCentral.   Give me a break!

On the positive side it's funny when the company paying for the name goes bankrupt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I believe you missed one.   I think Oakland Coliseum was UMax Coliseum at one point too.

I try to go out of my way not to learn subsequent names of stadiums beyond the initial one.   Someone is paying to name it that?   Well, give me my cut and I'll call it that too.   I'm not asking a lot.  $5 would do it.   But M&T Bank hasn't sent me a dime, let alone five bucks, so it's Ravens Stadium to me.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Often though teams don't wear their regular season uni's in the preseason.   Uniform changes/unveilings/etc usually happen with the regular season opener.

I just checked. Padres do have a patch on their jersey today.  Of course they announced their deal awhile ago. 

Looks like they have their road tops on for a home game. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

omg, people from Baltimore love to mention Natty Boh (even though it's not made there anymore), Old Bay and Under Armour every chance they get.  And they love to put the Maryland flag on absolutely everything they can, too.

a10MLLojEJGH2nhQ==&ProductNo=91272214

It's a bit absurd.

Thanks for showing us what your mom's underwear looks like.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many times do they name the stadium during the course of a game?

Half a dozen times? And most people ignore it and call it what it is. As Frobby stated, Staples center is the Staples center. Heinz field is Heinz field. I still call Verizon center in DC, "MCI Center" cause that's what it was for me back in the day. And as also mentioned here, it will always be Camden Yards, same with Fenway, same with Yankee stadium. We'd probably get more money for our patch if we kept the imbalanced schedule; 18 times a year vs Yankees and Red Sox. However, you can make an argument that playing teams like the Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, etc evens out the eyeballs and fan bases that will be watching our games. It's intriguing. Hopefully it helps pay for Adley and/or Gunner to stay here long term.

NFL wise, Cincy sold naming rights to their stadium to help them pay Joe Burrow long term. (Guaranteed contracts in NFL have to have the full guarantee paid up front in full into an escrow). I very much would not be surprised if NFL went this route. If MLB teams are drawing 17 mil a year, they could easily pull 30 mil plus.

Use it for the players and not the pockets pleeeeeease! Let's keep the next batch of Hall of Famers. It's been a long time.