Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

18 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I went back and looked at some video from the last couple years and some recent ABs.  Below is a picture of him driving a middle-out FB to LCF for a double in last nights game. He’s on time and in a good power position.   

He starts with his right toe in line with the middle of his back foot.  When he loads and puts it back down it is almost in the identical spot, only difference is that he has opened his foot ~45 degrees.  He’s doing this to be able to clear his hips while creating hip/shoulder separation.  This creates his elite bat speed.  

You hit the outside pitch off you back side,  behind your belly button, almost behind the plate.  So long as your weight is firmly on your back leg you can still cover the outside part of the plate no matter where your front foot is.  A good/typical warm up routine to practice letting the ball get deep/hitting off back side  is to stand completely square with your chest/stomach facing pitcher and to drive balls to opposite field.   To me it looks like he is looking/baiting the pitcher to throw a FB away but has his body positioned and coiled to turn on anything inside.  

IMG_2736.jpeg

Great post. Watching highlights this morning, I noticed that Holliday is very close to the plate with his stance. Not quite on top of it but close. I suppose that allows him to cover the outside pitches even though he pulls off a bit with his swing. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

The ol' Jud Fabian.

Ethan could say it convincingly to be honest. His fallback is going to his hometown college, which is perennially relevant in the NCAA and where his uncle is the head coach.

His father will tell him to sign at 18, reach the majors quickly and become a FA as young as he can to maximize compensation. You are throwing away money when you debut at 24.

14 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Sometimes I daydream about the Orioles finding a way to draft/acquire Ethan Holliday and reunite the brothers on the same team. Jackson called his brother a freak. (...As in freak of nature/physically gifted.) That's saying something.

The Orioles have a great history of brothers playing together on the same team. I'd love to see the tradition rekindled again with a new generation of brothers.

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Great post. Watching highlights this morning, I noticed that Holliday is very close to the plate with his stance. Not quite on top of it but close. I suppose that allows him to cover the outside pitches even though he pulls off a bit with his swing. 

Watch what he does right before he sets.  He takes one measured step to the plate and puts bat on outside corner.  Everything he does is calculated. 

14 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I'm guessing Ethan will be ranked high enough that it’s unlikely he'd fall to us in the draft. Would love to have both of the Holliday kids in our organization.  

Baseball has been doing some progressive things recently. Maybe by then teams will be able to trade in the early rounds.

It would be kind of poetic if bonus pool money from Jackson Holliday or Heston Kjerstad 2024 Rookie of the Year combined with a late 1st rounder gave Elias a viable lump sum, and then by the summer of 2025 the Orioles are such a strong brand Boras tells the other 29 Clubs Ethan wants to float himself to Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:29 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Sometimes I daydream about the Orioles finding a way to draft/acquire Ethan Holliday and reunite the brothers on the same team. Jackson called his brother a freak. (...As in freak of nature/physically gifted.) That's saying something.

The Orioles have a great history of brothers playing together on the same team. I'd love to see the tradition rekindled again with a new generation of brothers.

Too bad the O's can't trade draft picks. I would trade a couple 1st round picks for the chance to draft Ethan.

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

👀

Actually leaning towards no at this point. If he was absolutely torching AA pitching then yea, probably would do it. Say if he had an OPS approaching 1.100 then probably yea. As it stands he is developing very nicely, but is probably not fully ready yet for MLB. 

Promoting Holliday to the majors this season would be insane for a number of reasons:

1) He's not really needed. His production at this time would not be significantly better than what we're getting from Westburg, Frazier, or Urias. 

2) He'd need to be added to the 40 man roster. 

3) Adding him to the team during the 2023 season would cause a roster crunch that might cost us a player we're not prepared to lose just yet. Frazier's gone at the end of the season, and I expect one or two of Urias, Ortiz, or Mateo to be dealt in the off season. That should settle the infield roster in time for 2024 Spring Training. After that we can see where Holliday sits in the pecking order. 

24 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Promoting Holliday to the majors this season would be insane for a number of reasons:

1) He's not really needed. His production at this time would not be significantly better than what we're getting from Westburg, Frazier, or Urias. 

2) He'd need to be added to the 40 man roster. 

3) Adding him to the team during the 2023 season would cause a roster crunch that might cost us a player we're not prepared to lose just yet. Frazier's gone at the end of the season, and I expect one or two of Urias, Ortiz, or Mateo to be dealt in the off season. That should settle the infield roster in time for 2024 Spring Training. After that we can see where Holliday sits in the pecking order. 

4.  They have a guy at SS in AAA with better stats, and who is better in the field.  (Of course, he isn’t as good as a Holliday will be). 

31 minutes ago, baltfan said:

4.  They have a guy at SS in AAA with better stats, and who is better in the field.  (Of course, he isn’t as good as a Holliday will be). 

Do they?

Ortiz:

.341✅ (better by .016) / .392 / .540✅ (better by .008)  / .933

58 runs 

50 RBI

103 Hits

40 XBH (Tweet above is wrong - Holiday has 40 XBH 22 2b 8 3b 10 hr)

10 SB

8 HR

26 BB

The statement that Ortiz has better stats is categorically wrong.  

With all that said, if they are planning to start him in the OD lineup next year they should bring him up and get him some MLB ABS.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1