2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t know what he’s dealing with.  I’d have to speculate.

Your choice. I think Ced has earned the right to deal with a personal issue without having us try to speculate and pry. But you be you. 

McCann should never be getting DH at bats.  If you are worried about needing an emergency catcher the last thing you should be doing is to DH a below average bat  back up catcher.  The offense is missing another solid bat when we face a lefty starter.  We have Westburg and Ortiz that can play third to give Gunnar day off then either let McKenna play right  and DH Santander or let Santander play right and Dh Urias or Frazier.     Varva doesn’t do much right now except by some rare chance be needed as emergency catcher.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

McCann should never be getting DH at bats.  If you are worried about needing an emergency catcher the last thing you should be doing is to DH a below average bat  back up catcher.  The offense is missing another solid bat when we face a lefty starter.  We have Westburg and Ortiz that can play third to give Gunnar day off then either let McKenna play right  and DH Santander or let Santander play right and Dh Urias or Frazier.     Varva doesn’t do much right now except by some rare chance be needed as emergency catcher.

There's no reason to have him DH'ing. The only value if any, is catching. They have the number 1 farm system, it's time to tap into it.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Usually with a LHP you would like McCann to C but he caught yesterday and today was a day game. McKenna could DH but then you'd be complaining about McKenna. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I've been saying since April that the lineup against LHP is a major issue. McCann is one of the worst hitters in baseball, he shouldn't be getting DH starts - period. It really irks me that Elias and Hyde treat McCann like he's Edgar Martinez against lefties.

Honestly, Vavra at DH against lefties would be better than McCann. At least Vavra can see some pitches and make a pitcher work.

McCann's OPS+ is 44! That's preposterously abysmal. And he's done that mostly getting deployed as the C when Adley DH's and as the DH against LHP. It needs to stop.

• Upvote 1

I agree that McCann should not be DHing.  Time to change that by unitizing what we have on the roster already better or getting more of the young bats in the majors.   McCann should never be in the lineup unless catching or a random pinch hit if it happens to make sense.   But starting at DH should never again happen.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Usually with a LHP you would like McCann to C but he caught yesterday and today was a day game. McKenna could DH but then you'd be complaining about McKenna. 

McKenna actually hits lefties with an .831 Ops vs lefties compared to .522 McCann for OPS against lefties.  I still wouldn’t DH MCKenna at worst you play him in right and DH Santander as it helps your defense some and still a guy that hits lefties decent.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

McKenna actually hits lefties with an .831 Ops vs lefties compared to .522 McCann for OPS against lefties.  I still wouldn’t DH MCKenna at worst you play him in right and DH Santander as it helps your defense some and still a guy that hits lefties decent.  

This year, yes. Hyde obviously does not believe in small samples. I am confident McCann will continue to get ABs vs LHP on days when he can't catch.

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I agree that McCann should not be DHing.  Time to change that by unitizing what we have on the roster already better or getting more of the young bats in the majors.   McCann should never be in the lineup unless catching or a random pinch hit if it happens to make sense.   But starting at DH should never again happen.  

There’s a part of managing that involves keeping all the players involved and content.   I think that’s why McCann gets the occasional DH game.  He’s a veteran and they want to keep him a bit more involved than just being the backup C.  In a vacuum, that may not be the best choice on a given day, but in the long run it may help the team.   Anyway, I think that’s the rationale here.  

• Upvote 1