2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

22 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I guess since I am 66 and have rooted for 60 years, I am probably more anxious to see a winner right now now than 20 years ago . My days of patience are at an end though I have endured many bad seasons lol . 
My response was to the post about being excited simply because kids are called up .. no I will be excited if they help us win games.

Fair enough. I suppose there's a dark reality where these guys come up and don't do anything of significance and are unlikable, a la the current Blue Jays.

I guess sports fan nirvana for me is being a Ravens fan. The team is in it every year/game, stocked with homegrown players we've seen come up and who want to be there, and goes all the way every once in awhile. That's all I'm really hoping for with this crop of O's.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gross. 

There's definitely something icky about any change in baseball. My reflex is still to clutch my pearls whenever I see a random NL team on our schedule.

But it's for the better. The parity in the NFL/NBA make for a better product. Baseball seems to know it as they've been inching that way with fewer divisional games and with soft caps.

8 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Fair enough. I suppose there's a dark reality where these guys come up and don't do anything of significance and are unlikable, a la the current Blue Jays.

I guess sports fan nirvana for me is being a Ravens fan. The team is in it every year/game, stocked with homegrown players we've seen come up and who want to be there, and goes all the way every once in awhile. That's all I'm really hoping for with this crop of O's.

I like the Ravens fine if football is what one likes.  The Colts leaving and the NFL left me cold for many years. 
NFL teams however are not stocked with “homegrown “ players.  
We want the rookies to do well and hope they provide a winning boost. But that is why they play the games. 

29 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

7/06 lineup at Yankees Stadium with no Mateo or Frazier starting. 

With Hays missing time for what, the fifth straight game counting the game he left?

This is my gripe with how they have managed personnel - it's too SLOW. Either his hip is more serious than they initially thought, they misdiagnosed him or they are holding him out of these games to give him extra time before the All-Star game to feel comfortable that if he gets into the game that he won't further aggravate the hip, which is what I hope. I don't think they want to deprive him of what could be his only chance to play in the game and I support that completely.

They clearly were not intending to play McKenna regularly though as evidenced by Frazier getting a start in RF on Monday. It shouldn't have taken them until Wednesday to get Cowser into a game. He should have been on a plane Sunday afternoon. I understand that they may have wanted to the timing to be perfect, to be more deliberate so that when they promoted him that it would be for good. I get that but the overall lack of urgency is worrisome and makes me question if/when an opportunity to improve the club presents itself, will they hum and haw over it and miss it.  

6 minutes ago, banks703 said:

With Hays missing time for what, the fifth straight game counting the game he left?

This is my gripe with how they have managed personnel - it's too SLOW. Either his hip is more serious than they initially thought, they misdiagnosed him or they are holding him out of these games to give him extra time before the All-Star game to feel comfortable that if he gets into the game that he won't further aggravate the hip, which is what I hope. I don't think they want to deprive him of what could be his only chance to play in the game and I support that completely.

They clearly were not intending to play McKenna regularly though as evidenced by Frazier getting a start in RF on Monday. It shouldn't have taken them until Wednesday to get Cowser into a game. He should have been on a plane Sunday afternoon. I understand that they may have wanted to the timing to be perfect, to be more deliberate so that when they promoted him that it would be for good. I get that but the overall lack of urgency is worrisome and makes me question if/when an opportunity to improve the club presents itself, will they hum and haw over it and miss it.  

Get off my lawn. 

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Appears they "misdiagnosed". Sometimes injuries are worse than they let on. I am more interested in how they play it when Hays is healthy again.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

At this point Hays should just be put on the IL.  He'll still be eligible to come back after the All Star break.

If he is on the IL during the game is he allowed to participate? I genuinely don't know the answer and am asking. 

4 minutes ago, banks703 said:

If he is on the IL during the game is he allowed to participate? I genuinely don't know the answer and am asking. 

No the moment they put him in IL, the lesgue will replace him on the All Star Roster with someone else and Hays wouldn't be an all star anymore.