Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think voters these days aren't really looking at W/L record too much unless someone wins 20 which is becoming exceedingly rare.

Pluses:  Good ERA, if he can somehow get under 3.00 that would go a long way.  Strong WHIP.  Pitching like a #1 starter for a team that has strong playoff chances.  If he keeps dealing against good teams, that'll help him.

Minuses:  Relatively unknown, not enough innings (he's 37th in the AL right now), not enough strikeouts.  He's actually got as many strikeouts right now as Felix Bautista does.

I don't think there's a chance he gets into the top 5, but if he received a vote and finished somewhere in the 10-12 range, I could see that happening.

It’s way too early to know.  As of now, he doesn’t qualify for the ERA title because he’s only thrown 91.1 innings in 92 games played.  But if he overcomes that hurdle and knocks another couple tenths of a run off his ERA, I could see him getting some votes.   It depends on how several of the pitchers who are having good seasons so far finish the year.  

• Upvote 1

Bradish is really trending nicely. His peripherals look solid.

However, the statcast batted ball data isn’t great and he doesn’t miss enough bats.

He’s a very solid starter but he is a ways away from a true #1. Love the progress though.

Edited by Sports Guy

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he keeps going like this, I wonder if he'll get some down ballot CYA votes.  I don't see him finishing in the top 5 but I wonder if he gets any recognition.

I went to remind myself how the voting works.  Each voter picks a 1-5, and typically, 10-12 pitchers get at least one vote.   So yes, I’d say Bradish could get a few down ballot votes if he does well down the stretch.  

I wouldn’t leave Tyler Wells out of this conversation, either. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish is really trending nicely. His peripherals look solid.

However, the statcast batted ball data isn’t great and he doesn’t miss enough bats.

He’s a very solid starter but he is a ways away from a true #1. Love the progress though.

There is probably some guy in the minors right now who would make Bradish look like a total scrub. Bench Bradish. Put in the kids.

28 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Since we're all now suddenly goo-goo for Bradish...

Gerrit Cole or Kyle Bradish?  Ok, still Cole. 

But is the match-up gap really that crazy?

Cole vs. O's offense

Bradish vs. NYY offense

Well the Yankees are currently in last place and not in a Wild Card spot. So right now we don’t have to worry about that too much.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well the Yankees are currently in last place and not in a Wild Card spot. So right now we don’t have to worry about that too much.

The main idea still stands.  

Eflin/Gausman/Gray/Valdez/Eovaldi/Kirby vs. the O's offense or Bradish vs. the TB/TOR/MN/HOU/TEX/SEA offense?  (I just took the highest fWAR for the SP.)

Yes, there are better pitchers (and tougher offenses).  But there are few slam dunk matchups.

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The main idea still stands.  

Eflin/Gausman/Gray/Valdez/Eovaldi/Kirby vs. the O's offense or Bradish vs. the TB/TOR/MN/HOU/TEX/SEA offense?  (I just took the highest fWAR for the SP.)

Yes, there are better pitchers (and tougher offenses).  But there are few slam dunk matchups.

And this is a big reason why the NEED for an ace in the playoffs is overrated. Obviously you want the best players you can but I feel good about a few of our starters in the playoffs. Want to upgrade  for sure but not a slam dunk that an upgrade is available at a price that’s worth it.