Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Grayson is not throwing his CU. Why? This was his our pitch, now he is using the slider more.

If this a development thing? Throw a ton of fastballs and work on the slider to righties more? Does he not have a feel for the CU right now?

He always threw the slider more in the minors.  The curve is a good pitch though.  

I was tracking his pitch usage in his first 7 starts this year, and he threw the slider more than the curve in 5 of those 7 starts.  His curve usage varied a lot from game to game: 6, 3, 1, 13, 11, 5, 18.   So I’m guessing it has more to do with game planning or what he has a feel for on a given night, rather than development.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He always threw the slider more in the minors.  The curve is a good pitch though.  

I was tracking his pitch usage in his first 7 starts this year, and he threw the slider more than the curve in 5 of those 7 starts.  His curve usage varied a lot from game to game: 6, 3, 1, 13, 11, 5, 18.   So I’m guessing it has more to do with game planning or what he has a feel for on a given night, rather than development.  

Change up, not curve.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Change up, not curve.

Ah.   Anyway, I just spent a few minutes updating my pitch usage log for all of Grayson’s games:  And yes, that was his lowest change up usage (11%) and highest slider usage (35%) of the season.  Since returning, his change up usage has gone 33/31/22/18/11% while slider usage has gone 9/14/15/16/35%.   So, slider usage has been increasing but that’s the first time since returning that he used the slider more than the change.  I think it’s a good sign, shows he’s gaining confidence in the slider.  It’s looked much better since he returned.   I don’t think it reflects any lack of confidence in the change up.  

The biggest usage change since Grayson returned is that he’s virtually scrapped the cutter.  He didn’t throw one at all yesterday, and his 5 starts have gone 1/0/3/4/0%.   Good riddance, I say.   Not a bad pitch to throw a couple of times a game, but not a pitch he should be relying on heavily at all.  

I will update the electronic spreadsheet I started before and post it shortly. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

In five starts since returning, Grayson has allowed 0 home runs.

In his previous five starts before being sent down, he allowed 11 home runs.

Wonder how many of those 11 homers were on the cutter?  I think it was most of them.

From my eye test, it looks like the slider has been used around the zone a lot more. During his struggles, there were a lot of ball-to-ball sliders that were wasted pitches. Looking at zone%, his slider has been 40% and 45% his last two starts. In some early starts, this was generally lower and I saw some games that were as low as 20. It was never getting hit hard, but it was getting him into bad counts.

(On that note, is there a site that can let me select multiple games to compare before and after his break?  I only see a way to look at one game at a time on Statcast.)

Here's the updated pitch usage chart for Grayson:

Date	FB	Cutter	Change	Curve	Slider
4.05	49	5	17	6	23
4.11	46	1	18	3	31
4.16	40	17	29	1	13
4.23	45	5	18	13	18
4.29	45	11	25	11	8
5.04	42	22	25	5	6
5.09	31	20	26	18	6
5.15	41	9	24	8	19
5.20	53	15	13	3	15
5.26	59	18	14	2	6
7.17	49	1	33	8	9
7.22	46	0	31	9	14
7.28	57	3	22	3	16
8.02	57	4	18	5	16
8.08	47	0	11	6	35

• Thanks 1

I don't understand why everyone (Orioles pitchers seemingly) is in love with cutters in the first place. For most, it's probably not even their third or fourth best pitch. For Grayson, that was definitely true. I think you keep it in your back pocket only for extreme scenarios. Grayson in particular should definitely stick to almost exclusively his 4 seamer, slider, changeup, and some curves.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Change up, not curve.

Usually that's CH. I was thrown off as well.

One possibility is Houston has a pretty RH heavy lineup. He was throwing the change up a lot to RHB earlier in the season but maybe they don't want him doing that. He did throw a couple to Abreu I believe later in the game. 

Grayson always seems to match up against some other team's ace. It is uncanny. Tonight is just his 16th MLB start. Take a look at some of the pitchers he's faced of with:

Jacob deGrom

Dylan Cease

Eduardo Rodriguez

Zach Eflin

Shohei Ohtani

Alex Manoah

Jon Gray

Shane McClanahan

Gerrit Cole

Framer Valdez

Yu Darvish

Edited by TommyPickles

On 8/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, CaptainRedbeard said:

Grayson’s Stuff+ since coming back from AAA has been electric. Overall he’s been 126, behind only Bradish and Bautista at 130 in that timeframe. 

By pitch:

Fastball: 121

Cutter: 89

Slider: 138

Curve: 155

Changeup: 126

Whew. That’s quite the arsenal. Just ditch the cutter. 

I could not agree with you more. When your slider is a 138 and your curve is 155, why in the world would you throw a cutter?  According to Baseball Savant his 4S has nearly 11 inches of horizontal break and only drops 13 inches. Seems like the cutter is just not needed.