Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Not that we can truly rely on a guy that hasn't pitched, but Seth Johnson will be out of options next season and need to be with the big club, correct?  If so, I wonder if they treat him similar to a rule V type 26th man out of the bullpen if he is looking healthy.

He is probably going to begin the year at A+ ball.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wells has proven you can’t rely on him over a full season.

We need to see how Bradish and GRod bounce back in 2024 from workloads in 2023.

Kremer has a 4.5 ERA but his xERA is 5.46 and his FIP is 4.96. His statcast data isn’t good.  I wouldn’t rely on him next year.

Means will be entering his first full year since the surgery.

The MiL pitching depth has potential with McDermott, Povich and Hall but it’s far from anything concrete.

The team has a clear and obvious need for someone at or near the top of the rotation. Whether it be a FA on a 2-4 year deal (likely no more than 3 though) or a trade for a young starter from a team like Seattle, the need is definitely there. 

Not to mention, you don’t just sit on your hands and expect the same outcome after being good. You have to keep improving the team and right now, the Os aren’t going to spend on the offense and they shouldn’t but they need to add a top flight starter and another high end BP arm. 

Those are the 2 obvious and clear needs in the offseason.

You are essentially advocating for them to do what they did after 2012 and 2014…and that is just wrong.

Sounds like your normal approach that Elias does not follow.  Didn't last off season.  Probably will not this off season.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kremer is currently 11-4.   That is not luck.  

He’s gotten 5.75 runs/game in run support.  That’s luck.  

Wells - 4.24

Irvin - 4.44

Bradish - 4.59

Gibson - 5.09

Rodriguez - 5.25

I agree Kremer has been solid, but his 11-4 record has been helped tremendously by his offensive support.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like your normal approach that Elias does not follow.  Didn't last off season.  Probably will not this off season.

Elias tried to sign starting pitching to multi year deals. 

Elias did sign a starter in the offseason.  He did sign a reliever.

So yea, that’s wrong too.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s gotten 5.75 runs/game in run support.  That’s luck.  

Wells - 4.24

Irvin - 4.44

Bradish - 4.59

Gibson - 5.09

Rodriguez - 5.25

I agree Kremer has been solid, but his 11-4 record has been helped tremendously by his offensive support.

Yea but Kremer wills the team to score more runs for him.

• Haha 3

I hate to continue to derail the GRod thread with 2024 rotation talk but since you all started it....

Means is going to be in the final year of his deal next year (someone correct me if I am wrong).  Is Elias just going to let him pitch out his final year? Doesn't sound very Elias like.  So what is more likely, signing him to an extension or trading him? I think if Means looks pretty good when he comes back he is going to be trade bait this winter.  I would like to extend him if he is back to himself but I just don't know if it will happen. 

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I hate to continue to derail the GRod thread with 2024 rotation talk but since you all started it....

Means is going to be in the final year of his deal next year (someone correct me if I am wrong).  Is Elias just going to let him pitch out his final year? Doesn't sound very Elias like.  So what is more likely, signing him to an extension or trading him? I think if Means looks pretty good when he comes back he is going to be trade bait this winter.  I would like to extend him if he is back to himself but I just don't know if it will happen. 

Yes, next year is the last year Means is under contract. 

One consideration is that if Means has a good season he could be qualifying offer worthy. 

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I feel sure letting him pitch out his final year is Plan A.     That guy might rate himself a QO if he returns near enough to full strength.     If Means and Wells look capable the next 2 months, the First Half 2024 rotation looks sufficient, and the sign of improvement is the Lyles-Gibson need no longer existing.    

Means, Santander, Mullins, Hays...I don't see any cases where there is any real pressure to do more or less than let it play out.     There are four Tier 1 cases for trying to acquire extra years.      I'll grant some of my feelings are influenced by the colossal Davis-Machado mistake.    It can be risky to put a big money LTC on someone when you have a bunch of other someones who may be twice as good. 

I don't think even today the Sigbot places much value on FA seasons from Westburg, Cowser or Kjerstad.       Mayo and Basallo are the intriguing 5/6 cases.

Managing Grayson's schedule, the 6 SP in 6 games this week gives an Oakland turn to Irvin and, oh hey I'm sure that's just a coincidence, has him leading off the Toronto series with an extra full tank of gas.     If enough Wins keep coming, everybody could be on a college once a week schedule until the tournament.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would be very surprised by a trade or an extension.

43 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I can’t see him having much of any trade value coming off TJ and being out for over a year and a half. It would definitely be a case of selling low.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Who do you think is available?

I’m pretty interested in keeping Flaherty if he pitches well down the stretch and seems like a clubhouse fit. Not too many free agent pitchers come along who’ve just finished their age 27 season.  

Here’s a good look at the top end of available FA this offseason, which are almost all SP: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/2023-24-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-june-edition.html 

In addition to Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who will certainly be priced out of the Orioles’ range, there’s a good collection of solid SP that will get strong multi-year deals but not approach the top of the market. IMO the Orioles should be leaving the off-season with at least one of these guys, pushing Kremer/Wells/Irvin into 5/6/7 on the SP depth chart.

(With 2024 Age)

Aaron Nola (31)

Julio Urias (27)

Blake Snell (31)

Lucas Giolito (29)

Jordan Montgomery (31)

Eduardo Rodriguez (31)

Sonny Gray (34)

Marcus Stroman (33)

Nola, Urias, Snell and Giolito may pitch themselves out of the Orioles’ price range with strong finishes. Flaherty may pitch his way into this group.

For cheaper, shorter term deals, there’s also Frankie Montas (31) and Tyler Mahle (29) who are good SP that are injured this year and will be looking for deals to rebuild their value. James Paxton (34) has long been good but dealt with a lot of injuries, but is fairly healthy this year.

There are a lot of options to spend money in FA this offseason to add some higher end SP.