G-Rod Debut Date?

yark14

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh? Are you suggesting that what he does in Spring Training has more weight than his entire minor league career?

He's already "earned it".

Agree 100%!! Question, he needs to be on OD roster for O's to potentially earn another pick but if he had a "tired arm" IL couple of weeks, does that stop the clock re: earning another year of control? I am assuming he has to do a Mil "rehab" stint. Does the Mil time count as time off the MLB roster???

Edited by AnythingO's
spelling

17 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Agree 100%!! Question, he needs to be on OD roster for O's to potentially earn another pick but if he had a "tired arm" IL couple of weeks, does that stop the clock re: earning another year of control? I am assuming he has to do a Mil "rehab" stint. Does the Mil time count as time off the MLB roster???

If he's on the IL or doing a rehab in the minors he's earning ML service time.  He'd have to get sent down to stop the clock.  Means' clock is running while he's recovering from surgery.

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:14 PM, Moose Milligan said:

This place is going to melt down when he hits his innings limit for the year, they shut him down while he’s in a ROY race and we’re in a playoff race. 

He’s going to get 115-130 innings this year, it seems those are the estimates. Whether or not those innings are more valuable in the beginning, middle or the end of the year is anyone’s guess. 

This is why I could see them keeping him down for a few months. Service time + innings control.  

Are there any documented instances of using the IL for service time manipulation? Like truly made up injuries? I think the players union would go absolutely nuts if that happened. While I am normally not opposed to maximizing the team's interest within the rules that would be a step too far for me. Stooping to such levels would certainly poison the relationship with the best pitching prospect we have had in many years. While it's a longshot, I would still like to keep open the possibility of an extension and I can't imagine him staying if we go to such lengths.

If we want to go for the extra year, I would just do so with no reason given, as is our right, rather than make up injuries. Fortunately, the draft pick for ROY candidates gives Elias an incentive to ignore service time and start him if he is ready.

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Are there any documented instances of using the IL for service time manipulation? Like truly made up injuries? I think the players union would go absolutely nuts if that happened. While I am normally not opposed to maximizing the team's interest within the rules that would be a step too far for me. Stooping to such levels would certainly poison the relationship with the best pitching prospect we have had in many years. While it's a longshot, I would still like to keep open the possibility of an extension and I can't imagine him staying if we go to such lengths.

If we want to go for the extra year, I would just do so with no reason given, as is our right, rather than make up injuries. Fortunately, the draft pick for ROY candidates gives Elias an incentive to ignore service time and start him if he is ready.

They aren’t going to make up an injury to keep him down. They would just say they have 5 starters that are throwing really good right now and it can be chilly in Baltimore to start the season and are protecting him from injury. As far as made up injuries go, I’m sure Chris Davis had a few of those. Although I don’t think hurt pride is an acceptable injury.

38 minutes ago, sevastras said:

They aren’t going to make up an injury to keep him down. They would just say they have 5 starters that are throwing really good right now and it can be chilly in Baltimore to start the season and are protecting him from injury. As far as made up injuries go, I’m sure Chris Davis had a few of those. Although I don’t think hurt pride is an acceptable injury.

I know there have been questionable injuries to avoid options or DFA's. I am asking if there has ever been a made up injury to gain an extra year of service time. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if Gibson gets through another inning or two, Grayson will be on a round trip.  

I don’t know I think if he doesn’t have to use Voth and only need to use two pen guys then we can go Kremer and Voth as piggyback type game.  Each guy giving you 3 or 4 innings.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if Gibson gets through another inning or two, Grayson will be on a round trip.  

Everyone has been announcing it. I don’t think even the Orioles wanna take the bad PR hit that would come with calling him to Texas and then sending him back to Norfolk without pitching. 

36 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t know I think if he doesn’t have to use Voth and only need to use two pen guys then we can go Kremer and Voth as piggyback type game.  Each guy giving you 3 or 4 innings.  

No.   He's not going to go Kremer on 3 days rest.    Fantasy land.   And then what?   Irvin on 3 days rest on Opening Day at home.

Stop the silliness.   No one pitches on 3 days rest in the 2020s.   Starting pitchers get babied.