Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Spoken like a true Orioles fan!

Yea I keep rooting for him to fail and maybe even break his arm but maybe it isn't going to happen....

OR maybe I meant I keep thinking in the back of my mind his less than stellar peripherals will show itself.

11 hours ago, dystopia said:

I think our offense is too. Kremer’s been really solid, but nothing earth shattering. Our offense has come to play on days he’s pitched. 

His Era for August is around 2. His first 3 or 4 starts were the reason his ERA is 4.20. So yes he’s been more than really solid. It’s true that he’s getting good run support. I saw a stat on tv tonight that hisERA over the last 10 starts are 2.90.

19 hours ago, wildcard said:

Glad to see some positive posts on Kremer.  I have been in his corner all season. April wreaked is ERA which I thought would be a repeat of his 3.23 last year but he has really pulled it together after April.

3.46 after April is probably even a little better than last year’s 3.23 when you consider that leaguewide ERAs are up by  0.38 runs/game this year.  Of course, April still counts, so his overall ERA will be up significantly from last year, even relative to the league.   He still might nose his ERA under 4.00 if he continues pitching as he has since May 1.

All these guys are passing career highs in IP. Their arm's haven't had this type of workload before. It's a tight rope we have to walk though so I won't get so upset when Dean, Kyle, GRod struggle a bit. Gibson, Flaherty don't get the free pass because they are the vets. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Dean was solid but not spectacular last night. 4.2 IP no runs, 4 hits with 5 Ks. But he walked 3 guys and threw 92 pitches. Needs to go deeper. 

Not sure I understand why he was lifted in the 5th. I did not see the game. Was he gassed?

Pitch count and matchup. He wasn't going to start a new inning already close to 100. Hyde gave him a chance to finish six but he gave up the infield hit to the RHB load the bases. Hyde determined that would be Kremer's last batter and had Cionel ready to face the LHB to get out of the jam. Perfectly played by Hyde IMO. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

He was getting squeezed on a few calls in the 4th and was visibly upset at the ump after one of the walks. Holy came out and spoke to him but he then seemed more rattled on the infield hit (a play he could have made). I think Hyde saw him unraveling and decided to pull the plug.

That's not really how it works. I believe going into the 5th Hyde was aware of pitch count and figured it was likely Kremer's last inning. I think he saw Moustakas ahead in the lineup and figured that he would bring in Perez if it gets that far, making Rengifo Kremer's last batter. He would have had to start warming Kremer after the first walk or perhaps even earlier. Managers don't have the luxury to go batter by batter and make a subjective judgment as to whether a guy looks tired or frustrated.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if he was thrown off some by WBC instead of spring training. Since April it's seemed like a steady uphill battle to get his ERA to it's current level. If you toss out his April, the rest of this year would put him just a bit higher than last year's 3.23 ERA. Overall he has solid numbers for a 4th starter and has been even better than that since July if he can sustain it for a while. 

Palmer said he was way short innings due to the WBC and his participation with Israel 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

3.46 after April is probably even a little better than last year’s 3.23 when you consider that leaguewide ERAs are up by  0.38 runs/game this year.  Of course, April still counts, so his overall ERA will be up significantly from last year, even relative to the league.   He still might nose his ERA under 4.00 if he continues pitching as he has since May 1.

Dean should get a turn against the Cards next week, followed by Houston, Cleveland and Boston to end the season.

At 154 2/3 innings, he'll need to go at least five in these next four starts to have a chance at 175 innings. If he can manage to keep the earned runs to no more than 7 over those 20 innings, he'll pitch himself to an ERA under 4.00 for the season, which is pretty impressive considering he started the year with a 6.67 ERA through his first six starts.

I mentioned it yesterday but I'll add it here again.. Dean's progress (and I realize that his ERA is up from last year but he's on track to throw about 50 more innings than last year and as you mention, league-wide ERAs are up .38 run/per game) and his ability to elevate his game when it seems the O's needed someone to do it, to keep from suffering from losing streaks, etc... has been one of the more important developments for the team this year. If the O's make no moves with the starters going into 2024 they potentially have a starting five of Means, Bradish, GrayRod, Kremer and TWells all of which have either career ERAs under 4.00 (Means), have pitched to an ERA under 4.00 this year (Bradish, TWells and potentially Kremer) or have pitched to an ERA under 4.00 since being recalled from Norfolk (GrayRod).

If we believe that the current versions of these guys are who they are, and we think that they can pitch to the same success in 2024, the O's would be the only team to trout out 5 starting pitchers with ERAs under 4.00. Not the Braves, not the Twinkies, not the Marlins, not the Mariners.. no other team could do that.

Obviously lots of question marks (Means and TWells health, can Kremer finish out the year as detailed above, are Bradish and GrayRod really this good, etc.) and we're only six days into September 2023 but I like what I've seen from the starting staff this year and feel good about it going forward. I hope that management prioritizes an upgrade to the rotation but if these are the guys that we think they are, who are going to pitch us into the post-season and ultimately are who we go with into 2024, I will still feel good about the rotation.

What a difference less than two seasons can make. Seriously. Dean deserves as much of credit to stabilizing and improving the rotation as anyone. I was very critical of him his first few starts but man, he's really delivered in his last 22 outings. 

Edited by banks703

• 2 weeks later...

Lost in all the late inning heroics, Kremer pitched an excellent game today, allowing 1 run on 2 hits in 5 innings before being pulled after a leadoff walk in the 6th.  I’ve said this before, but Kremer seems to come up big in big games.  And he did that today.  

• Upvote 1