Ramon Urias 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He is the most underrated player on the team but what is his long term outlook compared to what we have. He can’t be the long term third baseman and is the glove good enough for second and even if it is, do we want him over Westburg?

I think his value to us is continued good performance and then use him a trade for pitching.  

Not disagreeing with you it’s just a team that would likely trade for Urias would be “contending”.  Those types of teams just don’t trade away pitching. They don’t. So we’re looking at a prospect return, when right now we need MLB immediate help. 

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not disagreeing with you it’s just a team that would likely trade for Urias would be “contending”.  Those types of teams just don’t trade away pitching. They don’t. So we’re looking at a prospect return, when right now we need MLB immediate help. 

You can get prospect pitching, especially if it’s close to ML ready.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He is the most underrated player on the team but what is his long term outlook compared to what we have. He can’t be the long term third baseman and is the glove good enough for second and even if it is, do we want him over Westburg?

I think his value to us is continued good performance and then use him a trade for pitching.  

At this point I'd definitely want him over Westburg. Westburg would be lucky to have a 3.5 WAR season once in his entire career. He's got a good arm but he's not a particularly good fielder and won't stick on the left side of the infield from what I've seen. He has to really hit and hit for power to be a valuable big leaguer. He could very well do that and I'd like to see him get the chance to but I think people's lofty expectations for Westburg don't really match his prospect status. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, LTO's said:

At this point I'd definitely want him over Westburg. Westburg would be lucky to have a 3.5 WAR season once in his entire career. He's got a good arm but he's not a particularly good fielder and won't stick on the left side of the infield from what I've seen. He has to really hit and hit for power to be a valuable big leaguer. He could very well do that and I'd like to see him get the chance to but I think people's lofty expectations for Westburg don't really match his prospect status. 

Lots of things on here I disagree with but the true issue is that Urias isn’t a 3.5 WAR second baseman. He has no future, with the Os, as a third baseman.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of things on here I disagree with but the true issue is that Urias isn’t a 3.5 WAR second baseman. 

Are you sure?  In 2021 he was worth 2.0 rWAR in 85 games, playing more than half his games at 2B.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Are you sure?  In 2021 he was worth 2.0 rWAR in 85 games, playing more than half his games at 2B.

Yes, I don’t think his defense holds up enough.

We also saw over a larger sample size that he isn’t as good a hitter.

So what you are saying is can he play everyday at a position that he isn’t as good defensively and hit as well as he did in 2021?  Evidence says no although I guess it’s fair to say we don’t have enough evidence to say for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, I don’t think his defense holds up enough.

We also saw over a larger sample size that he isn’t as good a hitter.

So what you are saying is can he play everyday at a position that he isn’t as good defensively and hit as well as he did in 2021?  Evidence says no although I guess it’s fair to say we don’t have enough evidence to say for sure.

I’ll admit I’m just playing devil’s advocate a bit.  But the guy has been worth 5.7 rWAR in 214 major league games, and seems to get very little respect.  I think he’s capable of hitting better than he did in 2022, though his 103 OPS+ wasn’t too shabby.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll admit I’m just playing devil’s advocate a bit.  But the guy has been worth 5.7 rWAR in 214 major league games, and seems to get very little respect.  I think he’s capable of hitting better than he did in 2022, though his 103 OPS+ wasn’t too shabby.  

Which is why I said..he’s the most underrated player on the team

Concerned that Urias’s trade value gets diminished with the WBC knee insurance.

Excited for Ramon’s 2023 season. His immediate reaction to that 387’ home run shows his awareness of where he can hit a pitch, based on the ballpark and pitcher. Should of picked him over Hay’s for career year poll!

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You can get prospect pitching, especially if it’s close to ML ready.

He could make sense as part of a three team deal.

For example, Houston or LAD gets Urias in exchange for a prospect(s) that goes to Brewers in addition to another prospect(s) from Orioles farm, Brewers send one of their top ML arms to Baltimore 

• Upvote 1

Really nice day for Urias in the home opener, smacking two doubles and making two nice defensive plays, including a critical rally killing DP in the 8th inning with the O’s clinging to a 1-run lead.   And he did it with his parents seeing him play at Camden Yards for the first time.  
https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/jimmy-cordero-in-play-run-s-to-ramon-urias

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QU27STNi75U

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really nice day for Urias in the home opener, smacking two doubles and making two nice defensive plays, including a critical rally killing DP in the 8th inning with the O’s clinging to a 1-run lead.   And he did it with his parents seeing him play at Camden Yards for the first time.  
https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/jimmy-cordero-in-play-run-s-to-ramon-urias

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QU27STNi75U

Hi. What was the first defensive play (not the DP)?

• Upvote 1