It’s only spring training but …..

RZNJ

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you’re cool if he hits .150?   

I’m happy pairing Adley with a veteran who knows the hitters and the nuances of the major league game.  I think Handley is a viable option for 2024.   Remember, this is a guy who went unclaimed in the Rule 5 draft.  

How many at bats has he caught with Judge in the batters box?  You think he's got some special insight in how to get him out?

I'm betting the team gets together with the catcher and pitchers and gameplans the approach.

It's 2023 nobody is calling pitches based on what Judge did in a particular at bat in 2019.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not convinced whatever back up C we have, including McCann, is going to be that Much better offensively.

McCann had a bad year last year, and if that was the beginning of the end for him, perhaps Handley could beat it.  But I don’t think that’s likely or should have been Plan A.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many at bats has he caught with Judge in the batters box?  You think he's got some special insight in how to get him out?

I'm betting the team gets together with the catcher and pitchers and gameplans the approach.

It's 2023 nobody is calling pitches based on what Judge did in a particular at bat in 2019.

Look, these guys all have tons of data and information and video, etc.  But if you think that makes major league experience irrelevant to calling a game, I’m just going to have to disagree with you.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, these guys all have tons of data and information and video, etc.  But if you think that makes major league experience irrelevant to calling a game, I’m just going to have to disagree with you.  

I think that while the added experience is useful you have guys in the minors that could do a better job managing a game than some guys that are in the majors.

Just because a guy is a ML vet doesn't means he is inherently superior in that regard.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s a huge logical leap.  I’m glad he’s looked good in 38 spring plate appearances, but that doesn’t make him major league ready.  If he is, he’ll prove it as the year goes along.

I'm more so talking just pure eye test here. The quality of the ABs, poise at the plate, the excellent contact he's making, etc. I just think the guy looks like he would have had he played the last two years. It's pretty remarkable. 

But of course he'll have to prove it outside of a few ST ABs. If you ask me though, that's going to be a lock if he stays healthy. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm more so talking just pure eye test here. The quality of the ABs, poise at the plate, the excellent contact he's making, etc. I just think the guy looks like he would have had he played the last two years. It's pretty remarkable. 

But of course he'll have to prove it outside of a few ST ABs. If you ask me though, that's going to be a lock if he stays healthy. 

Well, that would be a great development.  

On 3/19/2023 at 9:13 AM, RZNJ said:

One thing I just noticed.  McCann’s career CS% is 37.  Last year it was 72%!    God bless Buck and his tttp.    8 stole bases and 21 caught stealing.  That’s actually kind of amazing.

I was really impressed with these numbers and was tinkering around and tried to find these stats.  I can't find these numbers anywhere... MLB.com or anywhere else.  Baseball-reference shows McCann with a  career  caught stealing average of 33.7% vs. league average of 28% (Career).  That is 3% below 37.  Last year he caught only 8 of 34 which is 23.5%.  So he was just average.  His 'best' year was 2016 when he was only 26 and threw out 45% .  His AS year, he was only 4% better than league average defensively.  So when his offensive numbers are high his defensive numbers seem to be low.  

So did the O's FO sign him for his offense, defense, or mentoring.  Let's see if we get our monie$ worth...  From reports, he seems like a guy fans can cheer for and is good in the clubhouse.  But is that enough for what the Hangout fans want?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CHIP said:

I was really impressed with these numbers and was tinkering around and tried to find these stats.  I can't find these numbers anywhere... MLB.com or anywhere else.  Baseball-reference shows McCann with a  career  caught stealing average of 33.7% vs. league average of 28% (Career).  That is 3% below 37.  Last year he caught only 8 of 34 which is 23.5%.  So he was just average.  His 'best' year was 2016 when he was only 26 and threw out 45% .  His AS year, he was only 4% better than league average defensively.  So when his offensive numbers are high his defensive numbers seem to be low.  

So did the O's FO sign him for his offense, defense, or mentoring.  Let's see if we get our monie$ worth...  From reports, he seems like a guy fans can cheer for and is good in the clubhouse.  But is that enough for what the Hangout fans want?

Either I’m going crazy or there was a glitch on baseball reference that day. No wonder I thought was amazing!