Orioles get Pie for Olson and prospect

dsizzlevt

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll wait to decide on whether I like the trade when I see who the prospect is. Pie for Olson is a fair deal, but that extra player worries me.
It's "Class A right-hander Henry Williamson".

In anticipation of your next question:

No, I have no idea who that is either.

Wow.

I'll wait to decide on whether I like the trade when I see who the prospect is. Pie for Olson is a fair deal, but that extra player worries me.

Very good weekend for AM, though. We are now pretty much set, long-term, in the OF with Markakis, Jones, Pie, Reimold, and Montanez. Next up is solidifying the IF.

This could mean Scott's days in Baltimore are numbered. No real fit for him after 2009 here IMO. It would be nice if we could get a good MI prospect back for him (Donald?).

We also need another starter now.

Hopefully this leads to a chain of moves. I think many may have rushed to judgment on AM. ;)

The Cubs have reached agreement with the Orioles on a deal that will send Pie to Baltimore for left-hander Garrett Olson and Class A right-hander Henry Williamson, according to major-league sources.

We wouldn't have been able to claim him.

Also, we don't know if Chicago would have dealt him for another young pitcher to send in a likely Peavy deal.

True. And didn't someone say all of the NL teams get a shot at him first if he was on waivers? My mistake..

And SG, do you see this leading to a potential two or three more deals?

It seems as now that the Tex saga is gone, Markakis is locked up, Andy Mac is starting to settle down and wheel and deal.

I agree... a mistake. Don't we have a zillion young outfielders now? This must be Plan C - load up with young outfielders instead of young pitchers?!? I find it a little hard to believe that Pie is going to be 1/2 as good as Nick or Adam or why wlse did the Cubs give up on him? Unless some serious trading (unloading) takes place soon, this was a mistake. IMO.

I don't think it's so much as the Cubs "giving up" on him, as much as they don't have the time to invest in Pie. We do. I really like the move. I wish Olson the best, but I just don't he had what it takes to pitch in the AL East. A change in scenery should help him.

Whoa! This move would seem to require other moves for the O's, like getting another starter and possibly trading Scott or Freel. Looks like Andy's got some things up his sleeve!

It could also make it easier to move Roberts without requiring a 2Bman to come back in the trade since Freel is available to play 2B. Just a possibility... :D

Well I am shocked. But I wonder if AM will add someone new now to the ST invite, perhaps someone we all wanted to see.

I am also wondering what he has left now in his small little smirk. I was one of the ones who wanted to see Reimold get every shot at taking the LF duties, and hell, he still could. But now I am wondering if he could be what a few teams are looking for in an right-handed outfielder.

I hope Am has a few more of these unexpected Sunday deals ready to go soon.

I hope we trade Scott for a pitcher.

It better be a very good pitcher.

It looks to me like AM's got the OF as good as it could possibly be re: both short-term goodness and long-term potential.

You need 4 OF'ers, and I like these 4. "Get the talent and sort it out later", etc.

I always agreed that Pie was worth taking a shot on, just not for a major O's piece.

In effect, AM traded an iffy-P for an iffy-OF'er who has a much higher upside.

I think it's safe to say that AM would not have done this if he didn't see Pie as a pretty good bet (and/or Olson as not a good bet).

On the downside, if AM'd had timed things just a wee bit differently, we could have had both Cherry and Pie.

Clearly, the man doesn't have much sense of humor.

Whoa! This move would seem to require other moves for the O's, like getting another starter and possibly trading Scott or Freel. Looks like Andy's got some things up his sleeve!

I thought the same thing. Maybe a signing like Looper or one that seems to all of the sudden make sense, Randy Wolf a lefty. A Gutsy move by AM. Obviously he likes Pie. Defensively the best outfield in the AM. My guess is Wigginton is out of the picture, Huff to first, and Scott to DH. All of the sudden we become a very fast team. Nick, Adam, Brian, Freel, Pie all can run although some need to go to Brian's remedial base stealing school. There seems to be more coming.

As for Garrett, I think he could turn out to be good although I am not sure he fits Wrigley. IHe is a great fit for San Diego though.

Good move by MacPhail here. BTW, the other "prospect" was Henry Willamson so no loss there.

I'll have more soon, but I think this pretty much speaks volumes on what the Orioles think of Olson's long term ability in the majors.

But why is that opinion better than what the Cubs think of Pie?

Archived