Orioles get Pie for Olson and prospect

dsizzlevt

Color me stunned. That came out of left field.

And really, this trade is Olson for Pie... I've never even heard of the guy they're trading with Olson.

Regardless, I'm happy. We're gonna have a ridiculous outfield defense. Now here's to hoping Pie can learn to hit at the major league level.

If Pie does immediately get thrown into the starting line-up, does he just play left or move Jones over to left? I seem to recall way back last year people saying that Pie would be the better fit in CF. Jones has been really good in center though.

:laughlol::wedge: Literally!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am probably in the minority here but I am not in favor of this deal. I feel we already had our LF options covered in house with Scott, Reimold, and Montanez. I would rather have had Cedeno since we are much thinner in depth at middle infield. Olson may or may not become a John Maine redo in the National League. He struggled with us last year but is still young and has potential. Whether he ever achieves that, only time will tell. Now what do we do with our rotation? Guthrie, Uehara, and...? Oh well. Hopefully it will work out to our benefit. My feeling is we may have other moves still to be made before this particular step can be fully examined. AM is keeping busy, that much is obvious.

I agree with you. I viewed Olson and Pie both as nice prospects with future upside and based upon the O's pitching problems, I think Olson is more valuable to them than is Pie.

I guess I'll start getting my arm ready to take that #3 starter spot as I'm not sure there is anyone else.

I am probably in the minority here but I am not in favor of this deal. I feel we already had our LF options covered in house with Scott, Reimold, and Montanez. I would rather have had Cedeno since we are much thinner in depth at middle infield. Olson may or may not become a John Maine redo in the National League. He struggled with us last year but is still young and has potential. Whether he ever achieves that, only time will tell. Now what do we do with our rotation? Guthrie, Uehara, and...? Oh well. Hopefully it will work out to our benefit. My feeling is we may have other moves still to be made before this particular step can be fully examined. AM is keeping busy, that much is obvious.

1) I don't think you are in the minority.

2) Montanez isn't an everyday options.

3) The Orioles may have the same defensive concerns about Reimold as Tony and others do, so maybe they see him as a spot starter and DH?

4) Maybe Scott is being dealt for another area of need?

Ultimately, this move tells me one thing...AM feels Pie represents a greater upside than Olson does and that Pie is a guy that has too much talent for him to pass up.

I am sure MacPhail recognizes the risk in this move, both short and long term but it tells me that he feels that talent is the #1 priority...sort out the positions later.

I think it also speaks volumes about how he feels about the rest of our young pitching.

This is an incredibly smart move by MacPhail IMO....It is also a move that ignores the short term and concentrates on the long term and you have to love that he is doing that even if you don't like the trade itself.

BTW, I have to admit that I would have been surprised to not see Pie on this team in 2009, one way or another...It seems as if AM is enamored by him and with no place to play, he was an obvious target.

Yep...But I will say this...If there isn't a better package out there, I would still rather have the 4 I said and Olson than BRob and Pie by themselves.

That being said, this should obviously mean that Peavy to the Cubs is likely to happen and because of that, the Cubs likely wouldn't have the interest in BRob because of salary so it all becomes a moot point.

Yeah, I would think that Peavy deal is definitely going to go through now. I don't think the Cubs have much need for Olson.

Color me stunned. That came out of left field.

And really, this trade is Olson for Pie... I've never even heard of the guy they're trading with Olson.

Regardless, I'm happy. We're gonna have a ridiculous outfield defense. Now here's to hoping Pie can learn to hit at the major league level.

If Pie does immediately get thrown into the starting line-up, does he just play left or move Jones over to left? I seem to recall way back last year people saying that Pie would be the better fit in CF. Jones has been really good in center though.

I wonder this two. If Pie has blazing speed maybe he should move to CF although Jones looked very smooth out there last season. That is a nice dilemma to have worrying about where to play to potential Centerfielders in the outfield.

I really, really like this move.

I think this move pretty much ends any chance of us going after Wigginton, as Scott likely moves to DH primarily now. I think that is a good thing.

Pie, Jones, and Markakis from left to right will be one hell of a defensive outfield. Competing with Seattle for the best in baseball, IMO, but we'll have a lot more offense out of our group than they will.

Color me more concerned about the pitching after this trade. :confused:

As much as it's nice to acquire young players, though I don't see Pie being much, that just removes one more potential pitcher for the Orioles. Maybe Olson doesn't pan out in the AL, but the thought of Liz in the rotation just gives me horrible chills.

I really hope we have somebody on the trading block for a pitcher, or we have some FA in mind that can eat innings, because it's going to be ugly.

Wow.

I'll wait to decide on whether I like the trade when I see who the prospect is. Pie for Olson is a fair deal, but that extra player worries me.

Very good weekend for AM, though. We are now pretty much set, long-term, in the OF with Markakis, Jones, Pie, Reimold, and Montanez. Next up is solidifying the IF.

This could mean Scott's days in Baltimore are numbered. No real fit for him after 2009 here IMO. It would be nice if we could get a good MI prospect back for him (Donald?).

We also need another starter now.

Hopefully this leads to a chain of moves. I think many may have rushed to judgment on AM. ;)

I think the events of the last 24-hours, Markakis extension and acquiring Pie, definitely gets MacPhail a reprieve from the "he hasn't done anything to improve the long term talent of our organization" criticisms at least for a little while.

Definitely still a lot more to do, but both these moves are very positive, IMO.

As much as I love this deal' date=' it surely would have been interesting to see if Pie was waivered in the near future...[/quote']

We wouldn't have been able to claim him.

Also, we don't know if Chicago would have dealt him for another young pitcher to send in a likely Peavy deal.

Oh just great. We give up pitching for Pie. Goodness. This was a mistake. IMO

I agree... a mistake. Don't we have a zillion young outfielders now? This must be Plan C - load up with young outfielders instead of young pitchers?!? I find it a little hard to believe that Pie is going to be 1/2 as good as Nick or Adam or why wlse did the Cubs give up on him? Unless some serious trading (unloading) takes place soon, this was a mistake. IMO.

Wow.

I'll wait to decide on whether I like the trade when I see who the prospect is. Pie for Olson is a fair deal, but that extra player worries me.

A class A player named Williamson, according to Rosenthal's article.

Personally, I've never even heard of him so that helps a little considering we just created another void in the chasm that is our pitching rotation.

Archived