Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Frazier hit his 3rd homer of the year today, tying his season total from last year. 

It’s interesting to note that going into today, rWAR had Frazier at 0.7, fWAR had him at 0.1.   That’s a rather huge discrepancy 1/6 of the way though the season.   The main reason is the different defensive metrics.  Personally I think the truth lies somewhere in between, but I’d say fWAR is a bit closer to the truth.   

After the game, Frazier said his swing adjustments for the 2023 season was the reason for the success (for the home runs + added power), and he credited the Orioles hitting coaches for helping him find that swing.

Edited by Billy F-Face3

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

His defense bothers me not his bat, especially his double play turn. 

Fangraphs has a stat called DPR that measures runs gained/lost through proficiency at turning double plays.  Frazier is at 0.0, so exactly average per this stat.  Here are my own opinions:

1.  Frazier is excellent at starting double plays.  He’s quick, his throws are accurate, and he makes the backhand flip with aplomb when that’s required. 

2.  When Frazier is the pivot man, he gets his throws off quickly but his arm is a bit below average.  

Put the two together, and the DPR stat matched my eye test.  

By the way, O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average team.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has a stat called DPR that measures runs gained/lost through proficiency at turning double plays.  Frazier is at 0.0, so exactly average per this stat.  Here are my own opinions: By the way, O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average team.  

I wonder if this was true last year as well? Might it be influenced significantly by defense at 3B and SS making more plays at a GG rate? Could something like that be teased out of the advanced data?

Edited by AnythingO's
typo

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

I wonder if this was true last year as well? Might it be influenced significantly by defense at 3B and SS making more plays at a GG rate? Could something like that be teased out of the advanced data?

Which part are you wondering about from last year, Frazier or the Orioles?  Frazier was +0.8 on DRS last year. O’s second basemen were 3rd in DPs last year, about 18% above league average.  So, the second basemen are slightly ahead of last year’s pace.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which part are you wondering about from last year, Frazier or the Orioles?  Frazier was +0.8 on DRS last year. O’s second basemen were 3rd in DPs last year, about 18% above league average.  So, the second basemen are slightly ahead of last year’s pace.  

this part: " O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average"

Is that because of SSS and more appropriate balls in play to all 3 IF positions or that our SS and 3B are starting more DPs because of GG defense.

7 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

this part: " O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average"

Is that because of SSS and more appropriate balls in play to all 3 IF positions or that our SS and 3B are starting more DPs because of GG defense.

Well, I don’t think we are getting better defense at SS/3B than we got last year.  If anything, it hasn’t been as good as last year.  What I can’t say is whether the increase in DP’s is just a matter of more good opportunities arising.  For example, Gibson has induced a ton of DPs.  10 of the team’s 28 DP’s have come with him on the mound. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has a stat called DPR that measures runs gained/lost through proficiency at turning double plays.  Frazier is at 0.0, so exactly average per this stat.  Here are my own opinions:

1.  Frazier is excellent at starting double plays.  He’s quick, his throws are accurate, and he makes the backhand flip with aplomb when that’s required. 

2.  When Frazier is the pivot man, he gets his throws off quickly but his arm is a bit below average.  

Put the two together, and the DPR stat matched my eye test.  

By the way, O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average team.  

I'm glad you posted that, because I did not agree with the other poster's comment about Frazier's defense at all.

(Turning to a more generalized comment/post...) Frazier gets too much shade from some people, but he's actually quite a good player to have. Where the real criticism comes in is the log jam in the organization at his position and the unnecessary use of funds for the salary budget. But with that said, Frazier himself as a player has proven to be very helpful in contributing towards team wins. How many times did he get on base today? I believe he got on base 4 times and scored 4 runs. (A 100% conversion).