New rules impact on stolen bases

ChuckS

11 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I doubt they'll increase the default pitch clock time since that would do too much damage against the game time problem they're trying to solve. But I could see them getting a bit more generous about pausing the clock after things like wild pitches or awkward swings, or more generous about the 8 second rule on the batter that they called Devers out on yesterday.

The bufeddled look--not angered, just utterly mystified--on Devers' face as he very slowly meandered back to the dugout was priceless. I don't think I've seen anything like it from a player during a game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I personally think that at some point they are going to increase the pitch clock by 5 seconds. Might add 25 minutes to a game? (300 pitches x 5 seconds / 60) 

I think, or hope based on minor league experience, that the current time is here to stay and by May nobody will think much of it.  It's just how the game is played.  And in a year or so we'll look back and wonder why the heck it took so long to think of this.

• Upvote 3

This was my first experience with watching the new rules in play and it will take me time to adjust. I was forced to watch on MLB extra innings..hence Sox announcers. The didn't care for the Devers call, but he was admiring the long foul ball he hit the previous pitch. They were complaining that the pitcher wasn't even on the rubber yet. I do like the shortened time between innings and for the most part the better pace of the game. I didn't care for lack of replays..like AR's first inning HR, not that the Sox announcers would have said much. I don't need to see replays over and over again, but one good time is plenty. What are they going to do when a player has a milestone game and fans want to give him an ovation?? Umpire's discretion?? Announcers will have to adjust too, they really don't have much time to complain about close pitches before the next pitch happens. I also enjoy not watching batters adjust their batting gloves after every pitch.

22 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I was skeptical that the new rules would have a huge net impact on the game, but if today’s game is any indication, the impact will be huge.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen four uncontested stolen bases in one game, let alone one inning.

I can see Mullins and Mateo each stealing 50+ under the new rules. Another reason why we may not see Mateo’s playing time reduced by much. 

Im not sure but I think all 5 SB's were uncontested? To me thats a little more of a dramatic difference than I was expecting. 

If this trend holds faster players will see a big increase in value.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think, or hope based on minor league experience, that the current time is here to stay and by May nobody will think much of it.  It's just how the game is played.  And in a year or so we'll look back and wonder why the heck it took so long to think of this.

Yeah, the game still took 3:10 even with the faster pace. I dont want more time added to the pitch clock.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know. The initial move was necessary but seemed a bit excessive to me. Let's see how many key moments this season are spoiled by a walk or a strikeout based on a pitch clock violation. Especially come playoff time. Could you imagine a pitch clock violation strike 3 ending a game a team needed to win to make the playoffs? Or in an extreme case, a game 7 of a World Series?

I'm not suggesting a return to the past, just a tweaking of the dials. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I doubt they'll increase the default pitch clock time since that would do too much damage against the game time problem they're trying to solve. But I could see them getting a bit more generous about pausing the clock after things like wild pitches or awkward swings, or more generous about the 8 second rule on the batter that they called Devers out on yesterday.

On The Compound podcast this week, Zach Short (who's in AAA with the Tigers and was responding to Ian Happ's take on it), talked about how he fully expects ML umpires to loosen up as the season progresses, based on what happened in the minors. 

As he expressed it, and I agree, the umpires had to be really strict during spring training and only gradually ease up to make common sense calls to reset the clock for things like getting brushed back and losing your helmet, or something happening on the field, or an outfielder making a play and then being next up, that kind of thing.  He said in a month no one will even notice it -- based on how things unfolded in the minors. 

It was also pointed out that it's likely that some umps will continue to be really strict with exactly 8 seconds, whereas others might be more lenient about 7.5 or whatever.  That could then lead to some interesting ejections if Managers feel their guys aren't being treated like their opponents. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mateo or Mulins will break Aparicio's Orioles' record of 57 stolen bases.

Completely agree but only if Mateo isn’t traded at the deadline. I could see him shipped off after increasing his value while other teams like the Dodgers get desperate to trade. They’ve got a lot of talent that would be advantageous for us to increase and bolster our window of opportunity.