Saturday April 1: Orioles vs Red Sox

SteveA

8 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Down and in at 100 wasn't exactly grooved.

It was in the middle of the plate, but down. Not the worse pitch. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the pitch call. Duvall is a great fastball hitter. But saying that, he's not really getting his splitter over a lot and throwing a lot of uncompetitive pitches.

26b60a84-94f3-4973-97cd-f3fa7cf46d95.jpg

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

But there are going to be plenty of games they lose where they don't score 8 runs.  In the games you do score 8 runs and have 6 run leads, you have to get those W's.  This was a big loss. 

They survived the same situation on Thursday, but not today. Tomorrow is the rubber game.

9 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The offense didn't score after the 4th inning and they lost. On the bright side, the difference between 1-1 and 2-0 is nonexistent in a 162-game season.

It will be when they finish 1 game out of the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was in the middle of the plate, but down. Not the worse pitch. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the pitch call. Duvall is a great fastball hitter. But saying that, he's not really getting his splitter over a lot and throwing a lot of uncompetitive pitches.

26b60a84-94f3-4973-97cd-f3fa7cf46d95.jpg

I agree and didn't like the pitch call either. Duvall was sitting dead red on the fastball. Bautista could have gotten Duvall to swing out of his heels with his splitter.

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

It will be when they finish 1 game out of the playoffs. 

It will be a great summer of baseball and fun playoff chase if we miss out by one game I will enjoy watching the team again this year sure beats watching a 100 loss team.  

On 4/1/2023 at 7:19 PM, Moshagge3 said:

Who was the White Sox outfielder who dropped Stowers' fly ball before the game-tying HR? McKenna's fly ball made that look like a screaming sinking drive with an xBA of .998.

I believe it was Adam Engel.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:00 PM, ChuckS said:

35 years.

Are you suggesting a walk-off loss just like this has happened before? Many times?

The closest I can think of was during the 21-game losing streak in 1988.   Tied 3-3 with 2 out and one on, KC hit a routine fly ball to LF.  Jeff Stone lost it in the lights and the runner scored all the way from first.  KC held on for the 4-3 win.  That was horrible because we’d already lost 8 in a row.   But this was worse IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The closest I can think of was during the 21-game losing streak in 1988.   Tied 3-3 with 2 out and one on, KC hit a routine fly ball to LF.  Jeff Stone lost it in the lights and the runner scored all the way from first.  KC held on for the 4-3 win.  That was horrible because we’d already lost 8 in a row.   But this was worse IMO. 

My memory isn’t quite that sharp. I was also five years old at the time and mostly limited to weekend day games. 

We’ve had more heart wrenching losses than Saturday but I can’t remember such a terrible defensive miscue at the end of a game directly resulting in a loss like that