Game 2 Thoughts

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes, and let’s not forget that it’s the second game in a row where a fielder blew what should have been the 27th out.  In the previous game, Mateo fielded a tailor-made easy DP ball, stepped on the bag for the 26th out, had plenty of time and bounced the throw to 1B.   Honestly it was almost as bad a play as McKenna’s, except it wasn’t followed by a 2-run homer but by a strikeout, so we’ve already forgotten it.  

Exactly. That's why I don't want to be down on Bautista. His defense let him down in both opportunities, and honestly, as much as it's heresy to talk badly about Adley, the 1-0 fastball call to a dead fastball hitter with power when the next batter was less of a threat, was not a great pitch call. 

I get not wanting to get behind 2-0, but no way I'm calling for a fastball there. Batters had an xSLG of .139 against Bautista's splitter last year.  Pitch calling late in games is sometimes about risk management. Calling for a split finger there makes the worse case scenario most likely 2-0, in which I would have thrown another split.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I feel like for whatever reason, our outfielders have had the more difficult plays to make.   Obviously not McKenna’s, but the two Mullins plays, at least one of the Hays plays and arguably both, and one of the Santander plays were on screaming liners.  I feel like our batted balls have been more clear cut, either homers or uncatchable balls or routine flies.  In a two-game sample, that kind of stuff can happen.  

Fair enough. I don't really remember a lot of tough chances for their outfielders, but I also saw Santander misplaying easy plays, including one in front of him that was a total misplay. Did Santander play much left field in spring training? I wonder how much pre game work, if any Santander did before the Fenway start to get used to seeing the ball coming off the bat? My guess due to the cold, not any. 

Either way, I'll assume Stowers will get the start today and it will be interesting to see if he plays left field or right field.

Here’s a thought I had during Game 2: when did Adam Duvall become Babe Ruth?   This guy crushed us in spring training, and has been crushing us these two games.   I have a feeling he’s the 2023 version of JD Martinez/Randall Grichuk/Gleyber Torres etc.  

Also, that homer was crushed, but an inch lower and it’s a double.  So much bad karma in that sequence of plays.  

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am wondering if that’s the reason Mullins and Hays have each misjudged two balls in the first two games.  The ball is simply traveling further than they expect.   It’s possible, but hard to say based on two games.  

There were five shutouts on Thursday and in 10 of the games the losing team scored two runs or less. Maybe in Boston ,the wearher, bad pitching, the ballpark?

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

There were five shutouts on Thursday and in 10 of the games the losing team scored two runs or less. Maybe in Boston ,the wearher, bad pitching, the ballpark?

On Saturday also 10 games where the losing team scored two runs or less. Two 2-0 shutouts. The Boston against Orioles series might be the outlier. We shall see but too early to make any judgements  

Edited by Going Underground

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a thought I had during Game 2: when did Adam Duvall become Babe Ruth?   This guy crushed us in spring training, and has been crushing us these two games.   I have a feeling he’s the 2023 version of JD Martinez/Randall Grichuk/Gleyber Torres etc.  

Also, that homer was crushed, but an inch lower and it’s a double.  So much bad karma in that sequence of plays.  

Dude slashed .213/.276/.401/.677 last year and of course becomes Babe damn Ruth against us. Then again, with these superballs, I think we're going to see a lot of Babe Ruth's this year. MLB appears to have messed with the balls once again and now we're going to end up with clown show games with double digit games everywhere. 

I hope these games are aberration because as much as I like offense, these balls are flying way too much in April.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

On Saturday also 10 games where the losing team scored two runs or less. Two 2-0 shutouts. The Boston against Orioles series might be the outlier. We shall see but too early to make any judgements  

I hope you're right. Maybe its just the Red Sox and Orioles pitching is terrible, but those balls seem to really carry and the EVs seem very high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I feel like for whatever reason, our outfielders have had the more difficult plays to make.   Obviously not McKenna’s, but the two Mullins plays, at least one of the Hays plays and arguably both, and one of the Santander plays were on screaming liners.  I feel like our batted balls have been more clear cut, either homers or uncatchable balls or routine flies.  In a two-game sample, that kind of stuff can happen.  

The automatic double had an expected batting average of .140. It was a relatively easy fly ball out. It didn't look as bad as the McKenna error because Hays somehow didn't get within 5ft of the ball. 

The Tigers have scored two runs and tbis:

The good news about the start to the Royals’ 2023 season is that the pitching staff, a unit that entered this year needing to see vast improvements, owns a 1.50 ERA with 17 strikeouts through two games.

The bad news is that the Royals have lost those first two games, including Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to the Twins at Kauffman Stadium. Kansas City has been shut out in each of its first two games of the season for the first time in the franchise’s 55-year history, becoming the sixth team since 2000 to be held scoreless in their first two games.

I'm not freaking out over McKenna's play.  The dude made a spectacular play earlier in the game.  If the Orioles want to win games, how about not giving up 7 runs in the first 8 innings?   The starting pitching is mediocre.  The bullpen is missing a couple of arms and maybe due for some regression.  Unless they turn this around there will be many 10-9, 9-8 games this year.  

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Which was their point

No.  Their point was we need to turn things around or we’ll be playing a lot of high scoring games.   Two games is hardly a trend.   It’s just ridiculous to be making proclamations based on two games.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wouldn’t be the beginning of the season if people didn’t go completely over board on small sample sizes.

And with high expectations but low certainty how things will play out, the overreactions are going to be in overdrive. Probably for most of the season.