Ryan McKenna 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

In sports you have to learn to take the good with the bad. McKenna saved a couple runs with a few good plays earlier in the game. One of them was a spectacular diving web gem of a catch. Unfortunately, for the final out, he took his eye off the ball when it was absolutely crucial to catch it.

I guarantee you he won't ever take his eye off the ball again. Nobody likes to feel like you've cost your teammates a victory.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

In sports you have to learn to take the good with the bad. McKenna saved a couple runs with a few good plays earlier in the game. One of them was a spectacular diving web gem of a catch. Unfortunately, for the final out, he took his eye off the ball when it was absolutely crucial to catch it.

I guarantee you he won't ever take his eye off the ball again. Nobody likes to feel like you've cost your teammates a victory.

Yes he will. Every second he is in the major leagues is a blessing. He clearly takes that for granted.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

And yet I vaguely remember McKenna dropping a ball once before in his Oriole career.   Anyone else remember that?  I haven’t been able to confirm it.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And yet I vaguely remember McKenna dropping a ball once before in his Oriole career.   Anyone else remember that?  I haven’t been able to confirm it.

But did it cost the team the game?  If you just drop the ball and it isn't the difference maker in the game it doesn't hit as hard.  /s

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But did it cost the team the game?  If you just drop the ball and it isn't the difference maker in the game it doesn't hit as hard.  /s

No doubt. Just pointing out that I think it happened before.

It’s unusual to happen once to most outfielders.  Twice to a defensive replacement would be really odd.

Edited by RZNJ

Errors happen to every player. Even Willie Mays made 143 errors with a 981 fielding percentage. Brooks made 263 (!) errors and a 971 fielding percentage and won 16 gold gloves. Errors happen. 

That being said, I've been clear that I didn't want McKenna on the team before yesterday's error. I believe we've seen his ceiling, and I think (I don't know for sure) that there is more potential overall value from someone who plays average defense and can OPS 750.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Errors happen to every player. Even Willie Mays made 143 errors with a 981 fielding percentage. Brooks made 263 (!) errors and a 971 fielding percentage and won 16 gold gloves. Errors happen. 

That being said, I've been clear that I didn't want McKenna on the team before yesterday's error. I believe we've seen his ceiling, and I think (I don't know for sure) that there is more potential overall value from someone who plays average defense and can OPS 750.

I bet nearly all of those Mays errors are on a bad throw to the infield or misplaying a single into a double.

People who are saying "it's an error, it happens" I dunno, man... Wild throws and bad hop grounders happen, I've seen outfielders drop running catches, or misplay the ball when they're trying to catch and set up for a throw in one motion, or lose balls in the sun, or let it drop because of miscommunication with another fielder, but I can't remember ever seeing a guy camped under a ball, no sun, no throw to make, and just have it clank off the glove like that.

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

I bet nearly all of those Mays errors are on a bad throw to the infield or misplaying a single into a double.

People who are saying "it's an error, it happens" I dunno, man... Wild throws and bad hop grounders happen, I've seen outfielders drop running catches, or misplay the ball when they're trying to catch and set up for a throw in one motion, or lose balls in the sun, or let it drop because of miscommunication with another fielder, but I can't remember ever seeing a guy camped under a ball, no sun, no throw to make, and just have it clank off the glove like that.

I wonder if it had happened to Mountcastle if those folks would still be shrugging it off?

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Errors do happen. This one happened at the absolute worst time so it is magnified. 

The reason McKenna should be replaced isn't because he made an error that cost the O's the game. He should be replaced because he's not good and can probably be replaced with a player who provides more value in other ways.