Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be shocked if Cowser turns into a McKenna at the major league level. Even while he was terrible at the major league level, he has a well above average walk rate and his hard hit percentage of 42.5% is well over the MLB average of 36.2%. His arm strength is at 92 percentile and he has above average speed. 

Defensively, this play, which statcast said should be caught 85% of the time hurt his OAA or he probably would have been a 0 OAA guy. When I look at his jump components his reaction time of -1.2 ft/sec is what stands out and a lot of that could be him adjusting to seeing balls out of the upper decks. I will bet those numbers will improve. He did make this nice 3-star catch.

Now, I have no idea whether you are going off gut feel or maybe just your own eye test from watching baseball for so long (which is fine), but I'd be willing to bet Cowser is going to end up a much better major league player than McKenna. 

Despite his struggles, he put up a .302 XWOBA (.315 MLB avg). Ryan McKenna is a career .274 XWOBA guy including a .277 this year. Cowser under perfomed his XWOBA by .080 points while McKenna has exceeded his XWOBA by .031 points making Cowser very unlucky and McKenna somewhat lucky this year. 

I'm going to double all of this in Cowser's post since this is Santander's.

You realize you are essentially talking to OldFan, right?  

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

You're really going to imply that Tony of all people is fixating on stats?  He probably does more in-person scouting of Orioles prospects and players than anyone not affiliated with a baseball club.

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

You're really going to imply that Tony of all people is fixating on stats?  He probably does more in-person scouting of Orioles prospects and players than anyone not affiliated with a baseball club.

His whole argument was based on stats.  Look at Cowser's major league slash.  Pee Wee Herman could beat that.  It cracks me up why anyone gives a damn what I think of Cowser.  You want to believe he's the future of O's outfield, enjoy.  I think he's going to be a mediocrity with warning track power.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

His whole argument was based on stats.  Look at Cowser's major league slash.  Pee Wee Herman could beat that.  It cracks me up why anyone gives a damn what I think of Cowser.  You want to believe he's the future of O's outfield, enjoy.  I think he's going to be a mediocrity with warning track power.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think the O’s should hire you as a major league scout, since you’re able to predict a player’s future based on how he looked to you in his first 77 PA in the majors.  That’s a very useful skill you’re wasting posting on OH.

I don’t know if he’ll be a starting major league OF or not.  What I do know is, 77 PA isn’t enough for me to tell.  But I clearly don’t have your scouting acumen.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think the O’s should hire you as a major league scout, since you’re able to predict a player’s future based on how he looked to you in his first 77 PA in the majors.  That’s a very useful skill you’re wasting posting on OH.

I don’t know if he’ll be a starting major league OF or not.  What I do know is, 77 PA isn’t enough for me to tell.  But I clearly don’t have your scouting acumen.  

There is zero chance the Orioles would ever hire someone that posts here.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

The idea that Santander is the best hitter we’ve had since Eddie is laughable.  The guy has a career OPS+ of 109 and a career best of 125.  Here’s a partial list of Orioles who topped that:

Ripken 112/162

Anderson 110/156

Palmeiro 127/145

Hoiles 119/162

Tettleton 128/150

Alomar 122/136

Markakis 113/136

Tejada 119/131

Mora 109/155

That’s without me thinking very hard about it.

On the current team:

Rutschman 124/130

Henderson 122/125

Again, not a single one of them is a SWITCH HITTER. Therefor, they do not qualify as the best switch hitter we've had since Eddie Murray.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Some one flashed a lot of stats at me proving Santander couldn't possibly drive in a 100 which I predicted at the All Star break.  I watched Moneyball a half dozen times.  Movies aren't real.  

Unless someone else did something, I believe you are inaccurately describing an exchange we had when you said, back on July 10, that Santander was “on pace” for 100 RBI.  I pointed out that he wasn’t.   He was on pace for 91 at the time.  You then said you weren’t talking mathematically but that you thought he’d accelerate to get to 100 RBI.  I said I thought the odds were against him but I hoped you were right.  Nobody “flashed a lot of stats” at you.  Nobody said Santander “couldn’t possibly” get to 100 RBI.   In fact, I said it was “definitely possible.”   That whole exchange starts here and continues onto the next page.  

Fast forward to today.  Santander has 79 RBI in 133 games.  That’s a 96 RBI pace. He’ll need 21 RBI in the final 29 games to get to 100.   To me the situation is pretty much unchanged: it’s definitely possible, but not likely.  And I still hope you’re right and that he does get to 100 RBI.  That can only be good to the Orioles.  

• Upvote 2