Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

21 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If he's still producing (obviously not to this level) by June or July, I would think it would make it MUCH easier to trade away someone like Westburg, Ortiz or Norby in a deal for pitching. 

Wait...what?  Don't tell me your trying to get the Jorge Mateo 2023 thread back to talking about Jorge Mateo!  That's crazy!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

To me, this is a distortion of what he said:

“They’re going to do what they can within the system that they’re in,” Angelos said. “Does that mean extensions? Absolutely, I would hope so. But you gotta go with the system you’re in.”

https://fansided.com/2023/03/31/orioles-owner-adley-rutschman-extension/amp/

It’s fine to say those are waffle words and Angelos hasn’t committed to extending anyone.  But he didn’t say we can’t afford to extend anyone or that we won’t.  There are plenty of smaller market teams that have extended players “within the system that we’re in.”

You are correct.  My judgment is for sure clouded but I think for good reason.  This team hasn't signed a single player to a multi-year deal since Cobb, I think?  Zero investment in production value with MASN.  The core is in the majors, take risks and extend them.  Adley should have been extended last year.  I am willing to bet if the O's did approach Adley with an extension, Roch would have tweeted about it to show that we are "serious."

Really have enjoyed watching Jorge Mateo grow as a player.  He showed up as obviously tools when he got here.  Saw one of his first games and it was clear he could fly and had a cannon.  He settled in nicely with the SS role full time.  Many folks would have moved him or just relegated him to the bench.

Who knows if this hot start with the bat is for real.  But I like his work ethic and find him very easy to root for.

It's really a great time to be an Oriole fan.  But a tip of the cap to Mateo for continuing to improve and best wishes to keep it up.

Seems to me that if Mateo posts an .800 OPS this year (which Is a huge if), then the O’s are a playoff team.  It’s that radical of a change to the potency of our lineup.  Obviously there are other factors , but if those come out normal on average the Mateo improvement would carry us far enough, IMO.

(Cue the posts about how the pitching needs to improve.  Yes, I know, but I am confident it will.)

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me that if Mateo posts an .800 OPS this year (which Is a huge if), then the O’s are a playoff team.  It’s that radical of a change to the potency of our lineup.  Obviously there are other factors , but if those come out normal on average the Mateo improvement would carry us far enough, IMO.

(Cue the posts about how the pitching needs to improve.  Yes, I know, but I am confident it will.)

If he has an .800 OPS does he lead the team in WAR? At this point, I'd be thrilled if he ended up in the .720-.750 range with an OBP over .300.

12 minutes ago, LTO's said:

If he has an .800 OPS does he lead the team in WAR? At this point, I'd be thrilled if he ended up in the .720-.750 range with an OBP over .300.

With his defense and speed, I believe an 800 OPS Mateo is like a 6-7 win player, which puts him roughly on par with Adley imo.