Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Given the existence of the DH, I would not expect Mountcastle to be traded.

I would expect both O'Hearn and Mountcastle back next season. O'Hearn will be in his 3rd season of arbitration, but with a $1.4M salary in 2023, I don't expect his salary to be prohibitive. Mountcastle will be in his first season of arbitration.

If they need to trade someone at the deadline because everyone is playing well to make room then so be it, but you don't create a hole in the offseason that you hope to be able to be able to fill it by June.

Right but you also have Cowser and Kjerstad to consider.

They won't be part time players and before her returned from the minors, Mountcastle was an obvious trade candidate with his free swinging and low BA.

I dont think his skill sets match up well on this team personally.

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

They won't be part time players and before her returned from the minors, Mountcastle was an obvious trade candidate with his free swinging and low BA.

And Stowers.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Given the existence of the DH, I would not expect Mountcastle to be traded.

I would expect both O'Hearn and Mountcastle back next season. O'Hearn will be in his 3rd season of arbitration, but with a $1.4M salary in 2023, I don't expect his salary to be prohibitive. Mountcastle will be in his first season of arbitration.

If they need to trade someone at the deadline because everyone is playing well to make room then so be it, but you don't create a hole in the offseason that you hope to be able to be able to fill it by June.

Totally agree here. Mountcastle has really come on strong and I think it’s a question of what value would he bring back in a trade? I think less than he could provide staying here.

17 hours ago, casadeozo said:

I think I might disagree with you on this point. While I get frustrated with him, I actually think he works well with the positional talent we have, and what is coming. Most of these guys are solid to high OBP players, so pairing that with a guy who has a lower OBP but higher contact to damage ratio actually works well. The issue has been that he was one of 5-6 low OBP guys in the lineup, and hitting in a premium spot. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Stowers is an afterthought at this point.  I just don’t think he’ll ever get regular major league playing time with the Orioles. 

I tend to think you're right, but I also think he's in the group that's creating a backlog between the majors or AAA, so a trade or trades are possible.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:14 AM, LookinUp said:

I tend to think you're right, but I also think he's in the group that's creating a backlog between the majors or AAA, so a trade or trades are possible.

You're right, but so far Elias has been very conservative with trades.  He's avoided dealing with the position player logjam so far, but he'll have to address it this offseason.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

OPs just under 850 in AAA now. K rate is down too.

BA is under 240 but I bet the BABiP is low.

Definitely still developing. No rush with him. For me, he's a 2nd half call up next year. For many orgs, he might be called up this week. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

Definitely still developing. No rush with him. For me, he's a 2nd half call up next year. For many orgs, he might be called up this week. 

I hate the word rush. I don’t think it reasonably exists.

I think a better way to say it is that I’m not in an immediate hurry to bring him up and by immediate, I’m talking OD next year.

That being said, if the Os deem this offseason as being the time to trade Mountcastle because they feel his value is high and they want to strike while the iron is hot, I am more than fine with it and Mayo can start OD for us.

We will see how he ends the year but if he has another month of strong play in AAA he won’t need much more time down there, at least offensively.

I would like to see the org tell him to work on playing first all offseason.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I hate the word rush. I don’t think it reasonably exists.

I think a better way to say it is that I’m not in an immediate hurry to bring him up and by immediate, I’m talking OD next year.

That being said, if the Os deem this offseason as being the time to trade Mountcastle because they feel his value is high and they want to strike while the iron is hot, I am more than fine with it and Mayo can start OD for us.

We will see how he ends the year but if he has another month of strong play in AAA he won’t need much more time down there, at least offensively.

I would like to see the org tell him to work on playing first all offseason.

Sure. I could see him here on opening day. I could also see him traded, though I think both are unlikely. And it's been said in other threads I'm sure, but it makes sense for the penny pinching owner to trade "expensive" arbitration guys and pay less for guys like Mayo to be on the team. We'll see.

Absent a scenario like the one you mentioned with Mountcastle, I think he could definitely use an offseason and a couple of months in AAA to continue his development. I could see him crushing AAA next year and essentially be a Westburg-like call up in terms of playing time and production.