Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

6 stolen bases.  5 caught stealing.   Statistically, he’s one of the best players in the league right now.   Still 19 years old for all of May.

He’s an athletic fella - don’t let the body fool you.  He’s got some tools.  

I guess the folks who were ridiculing the $1 mm we spent on Willems and saying that we only spent it because we had nothing else left to do with it might need to eat a  bit of crow.  Too soon to say that definitively, but It’s impossible not to like how things are trending with Willems so far this season.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess the folks who were ridiculing the $1 mm we spent on Willems and saying that we only spent it because we had nothing else left to do with it might need to eat a  bit of crow.  Too soon to say that definitively, but It’s impossible not to like how things are trending with Willems so far this season.  

You spend it because you have it and you take a shot on a lottery ticket.

But it wasn’t the plan to do that and it doesn’t justify passing on a higher talent with 1:5 just so you can save money later.(and btw, you could have taken the higher talent and still ended up with Creed)

Again, and apparently this can’t be stated enough, it’s all about the process of the whole thing.  The Os purposely lost. They purposely fielded a team that they knew was no good and by doing that, you only gain 2 advantages. They chose to take one advantage, total draft pool, and use that instead of taking a higher ranked player early, which is their other advantage. You don’t tank seasons for a chance to draft Creed Willems in R8. You tank them to add elite talent into your system, guys you normally can’t get unless you get lucky.

Also, he’s doing well in low A. That’s great. It’s good to see and we all hope it continues but doing well in low A doesn’t mean it will continue as he moves up the chain.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But it wasn’t the plan to do that and it doesn’t justify passing on a higher talent with 1:5 just so you can save money later.(and btw, you could have taken the higher talent and still ended up with Creed)

Again, and apparently this can’t be stated enough, it’s all about the process of the whole thing.  The Os purposely lost. They purposely fielded a team that they knew was no good and by doing that, you only gain 2 advantages. They chose to take one advantage, total draft pool, and use that instead of taking a higher ranked player early, which is their other advantage. You don’t tank seasons for a chance to draft Creed Willems in R8. You tank them to add elite talent into your system, guys you normally can’t get unless you get lucky.

Also, he’s doing well in low A. That’s great. It’s good to see and we all hope it continues but doing well in low A doesn’t mean it will continue as he moves up the chain.

The crow would go down easier if you didn't smother it in sauce.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not just about draft position and drafting the best player, you still have to develop the player. This current O’s system can do that. The previous O’s system couldn’t develop a ham sandwich. 

Is there a system that can develop a ham sandwich?  If so, I suggest we stop wasting money on the draft and international signings!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

You'll notice that some people will never eat crow.   LOL

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And if Cowser turns out better than Lawlar and Creed turns into a ML regular this individual will still not admit that the Orioles were smart.   You see, it wasn't the process that Mr. Genius would have used.    The same genius who wanted Witt over Rutschman, Colon over Machado, Veen over Kjerstad, and Druw Jones over Holliday.     With a track record like that you can see how strongly he feels about his process.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And if Cowser turns out better than Lawlar and Creed turns into a ML regular this individual will still not admit that the Orioles were smart.   You see, it wasn't the process that Mr. Genius would have used.    The same genius who wanted Witt over Rutschman, Colon over Machado, Veen over Kjerstad, and Druw Jones over Holliday.     With a track record like that you can see how strongly he feels about his process.

You aren't beating a dead horse are you?

That upsets some posters.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You aren't beating a dead horse are you?

That upsets some posters.

He’s also wrong and doesn’t provide the context of everything. But he’s a disingenuous   POS, so I’m not surprised.  

Unfortunately, I saw his message because you quoted him because I put him on ignore but it won’t stop him from being the under the bridge troll that he is. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He’s also wrong and doesn’t provide the context of everything. But he’s a disingenuous   POS, so I’m not surprised.  

Unfortunately, I saw his message because you quoted him because I put him on ignore but it won’t stop him from being the under the bridge troll that he is. 

Don't quote me guys.  Save Sportsguy the pain.    He knows absolutely nothing about the draft or the process and he's proven it time and time again and he's got the deck stacked so no matter what happens he wasn't WRONG!    LOL

I will not use acronyms to disguise bad words.    He is what he is.    Not smart.

BTW, Sportsguy says we should have taken Lawlar because he was "higher rated" than Cowser.   Sure, by all of the same guys who said Druw Jones was the clear #1 choice last year.

He can't fathom that the Orioles actually didn't like Lawlar enough to pick him #5 and pay him slot.   They just didn't.

It's simple.   Look at what they've done.   When they saw a player they thought was worthy of draft position and the money they did it TWICE even when that player wasn't the consensus #1 player.    They went with their VALUE.     Could they have been wrong on Lawlar and Cowser?   Of course.   Time will tell.     They OBVIOUSLY didn't feel Lawlar was clearly the best player available at #5.    If they did, they would have taken him.   It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.   It barely takes a functioning brain.   Yet, there is one person around here who still doesn't get it.   

So they took a player they like as much as Lawlar, probably more, saved money, and used some on Rhodes and some on Willems.   As Frobby said, everyone had their pitchforks out last year blasting the pick.    A great start in low A means something but it doesn't mean everything.     Great minor league number for Cowser mean something but they don't mean everything.   At the same time, it's way premature to anoint Lawler as some kind franchise SS.    He had great numbers last year.    He hasn't proven himself in AA yet.   Long way to go.   It just floors me that someone who goes with consensus and has been wrong so many times just keeps doing the same thing again and again.   The definition of insanity ................