Trace Bright 2023

emmett16

Drafted out of Auburn last year.  8 ks through 3ip tonight.   Most swinging. Completely overpowering the opponent.  8 of first 9 batters faced struck out.  Looks like a guy to keep an eye on. 

Not one minute after writing this he went BB, BB, E1, double.  Baseball is funny.  Regardless, good arm on the young man. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Drafted out of Auburn last year.  8 ks through 3ip tonight.   Most swinging. Completely overpowering the opponent.  8 of first 9 batters faced struck out.  Looks like a guy to keep an eye on. 

3 complete innings now.  All outs via strikeout.  Game tied 3-3.

Sat 93-95 with a hammered curveball. I only saw a few changeups. Got 19 swings and misses in just 3.1 IP, striking out all ten of his outs. 

Only blip came when he made an error on an easy play that would have gotten him out of the 3rd inning. Got two strikes on the next guy but hung a curve and the batter hit a bases clearing double down the left field line.

Pretty impressive start for the young man.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Not one minute after writing this he went BB, BB, E1, double.  Baseball is funny.  Regardless, good arm on the young man. 

He’s one who had some velo creep up this past offseason.  Definitely one to keep an eye on!

18 hours ago, btdart20 said:

He’s one who had some velo creep up this past offseason.  Definitely one to keep an eye on!

He was 90-93 early in the year last year but was up to 93-96, touching 97 by year’s end last year. It was hard to judge the stuff by the camera angle though the fastball looked like it had late life and the curveball had good movement. Saying that, 19 swings and misses in 3.1 IP is pretty darn impressive. That says more than anything.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Trace at OPACY in the crowd.    Ben said he knew of him from an Alabama travel team about four years - gave a bullet that he's 94-95 and knows how to pitch.

The CWS video I posted above had Ben in the booth and it sounded like he was quite familiar with Trace and was high on his ability.  The fastball in that video shows a lot of late life.  He has me excited.  

Don't know Bright and hadn't seen much until I saw a highlight about the 10K outing.

On first watch I would be a little worried about future significant shoulder problems given how much he falls off to first.  There's a litany of former minor and major leaguers will a well documented history of injuries with that particular follow through.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Don't know Bright and hadn't seen much until I saw a highlight about the 10K outing.

On first watch I would be a little worried about future significant shoulder problems given how much he falls off to first.  There's a litany of former minor and major leaguers will a well documented history of injuries with that particular follow through.

I would bet that 80% of ML pitchers fall off to one side or the other depending on what arm they throw with.   

Grayson falls off to the side.  Very few pitchers land on balance, squared up to the batter anymore.

Edited by RZNJ

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Such as?

On 4/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, RZNJ said:

I would bet that 80% of ML pitchers fall off to one side or the other depending on what arm they throw with.   

Grayson falls off to the side.  Very few pitchers land on balance, squared up to the batter anymore.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:27 PM, joelala said:

Such as?

It has a lot to do with rotation of the lower body to the upper body.  If you are falling off your lower body is rotating more.  Just think about it logically, the more you rotate the lower body (an falling off does this) the more the upper body lags and the more strain is put on the shoulder.

Here are some sources talking about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445126/

https://danblewett.com/baseball-how-to-pitch-pitching-mechanics-guide/

https://rocklandpeakperformance.com/what-are-most-common-pitching-mechanics-issues/

Not all pitchers fall off hardly.  One of the links above talks about it.  If you looks at many of the healthier pitchers around the game drop and drive and don't fall off.

Look, arm injuries are tough, and there is no concensus as to what causes them.  People much smarter than me do significant scientific studies on it.  In fact, for most pitchers injuries and correct mechanics are completely unique to them.  I dont know about Bright.  It's just an observation that he has a significant fall off and it will be interesting to see if that effects his development.  Among other things it can lead to decreased accuracy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It has a lot to do with rotation of the lower body to the upper body.  If you are falling off your lower body is rotating more.  Just think about it logically, the more you rotate the lower body (an falling off does this) the more the upper body lags and the more strain is put on the shoulder.

Here are some sources talking about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445126/

https://danblewett.com/baseball-how-to-pitch-pitching-mechanics-guide/

https://rocklandpeakperformance.com/what-are-most-common-pitching-mechanics-issues/

Not all pitchers fall off hardly.  One of the links above talks about it.  If you looks at many of the healthier pitchers around the game drop and drive and don't fall off.

Look, arm injuries are tough, and there is no concensus as to what causes them.  People much smarter than me do significant scientific studies on it.  In fact, for most pitchers injuries and correct mechanics are completely unique to them.  I dont know about Bright.  It's just an observation that he has a significant fall off and it will be interesting to see if that effects his development.  Among other things it can lead to decreased accuracy.

Very good info, thank you. 

• Thanks 1