The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

On 6/11/2023 at 11:38 AM, fansince1988 said:

I was at the game yesterday, honestly was expecting more than 34k. Looks like they were not selling seats in LF upper deck, can't wait for that area to get repurposed. Side note: The concessions on the lower level are amazing compared to the upper level. Upstairs are dreadful. My son was relentless in his demands for chicken tenders. I buckled, and stood in a 15 minute line only to get to the grill area and have them tell me 5 more minutes for tenders. So we waited, and waited, and then the food was blah. They were $14 too. Never again :) 

I was at all three games this weekend. I love the grab your own beer shops. 

17 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I was at all three games this weekend. I love the grab your own beer shops. 

Tell me more, apparently I've missed this. We always sit in Section 10, so we basically go from the south Eutaw gate straight to our seats and rarely venture away from our seats. I always know I should explore more, but if I'm there for a game I want to watch it in it's entirety, but I can always be bribed with easy access to beer. 

7 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Tell me more, apparently I've missed this. We always sit in Section 10, so we basically go from the south Eutaw gate straight to our seats and rarely venture away from our seats. I always know I should explore more, but if I'm there for a game I want to watch it in it's entirety, but I can always be bribed with easy access to beer. 

In the lower concourse, there are many beer stores, where you grab a can or two, self checkout and are back in your seat before the next inning starts ⚾🍺

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

The hottest team in baseball with a big crowd.

I call BS on this. The A's have not drawn well for a long time. Oakland Athletics Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors | Baseball-Reference.com

Maybe it's Oakland, maybe it's because they play in the worst open-air stadium in MLB, maybe it's because the team stinks and is making no effort to improve. Maybe it's all of the above. But the fact they have an awful person as an owner and could draw 27,759 for a well organized protest of that owner doesn't remotely "prov[e] they'd support a team that supports them." That's 27,000-plus for one hyped game. Seventeen MLB teams average over 27,000 fans per home game.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I call BS on this. The A's have not drawn well for a long time. Oakland Athletics Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors | Baseball-Reference.com

Maybe it's Oakland, maybe it's because they play in the worst open-air stadium in MLB, maybe it's because the team stinks and is making no effort to improve. Maybe it's all of the above. But the fact they have an awful person as an owner and could draw 27,759 for a well organized protest of that owner doesn't remotely "prov[e] they'd support a team that supports them." That's 27,000-plus for one hyped game. Seventeen MLB teams average over 27,000 fans per home game.

Their stadium really does suck. I went to a game there in the early 80’s and it was bad then - and 40+ years have gone by since then with no significant upgrades.  I definitely think they could draw much better with an updated stadium.   But the government doesn’t feel it’s worth it, and perhaps that’s a wise decision.  

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Do you think a team in Vegas is going to average 27K a game once the novelty wears off?

I don't.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Their stadium really does suck. I went to a game there in the early 80’s and it was bad then - and 40+ years have gone by since then with no significant upgrades.  I definitely think they could draw much better with an updated stadium.   But the government doesn’t feel it’s worth it, and perhaps that’s a wise decision.  

I have a crazy idea.  Maybe the billionaire owner of the team could build his own stadium.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think a team in Vegas is going to average 27K a game once the novelty wears off?

I don't.

The hockey team draws well.  They are planning on putting it right on the strip.  I imagine they’d  have no issues filling seats.  

• Upvote 1

Oakland is a bad baseball stadium. Now it is Ring or whatever stupid name. Been there twice and dumpier each time. Been a long road and seemed to be looking for a stadium location forever. Jack London square was the last hope,but like the Call of the Wild they have Vegas calling 

Edited by Going Underground