It feels like the Orioles are not quite sure what to do with themselves

interloper

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

True.  The bullpen has a MR hole, but that's frustrating because the rest of the team is pretty damn good.  You can point out a particular flaw without saying the whole team is screwed.  

And to be clear, I'm not saying the whole team is screwed with this OP. Just that they seem to be tripping over their own feet when it comes to both execution and roster management. I do think it will iron out eventually, but it's frustrating to watch. Tonight is another lineup that kind of makes no sense. And so it goes. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

And to be clear, I'm not saying the whole team is screwed with this OP. Just that they seem to be tripping over their own feet when it comes to both execution and roster management. I do think it will iron out eventually, but it's frustrating to watch. Tonight is another lineup that kind of makes no sense. And so it goes. 

Boston was a tough series because their old team is healthy early in the year.  I don't see that continuing.  We pretty much dominated Texas and even had game 3 2-2 after DeGrom was vintage DeGrom.  Let's see how we do in this oakland series.  I think it's a get right spot for us.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This post is right on point for me. At some point you need to really lift off, and that means moving legitimate prospects for legitimate major league players so are you not seven deep in major league infielders. And where is our good hitting outfield prospect that can play plus defense defense? Cowser? He's found AAA hard so far. Haskins (4th OF type)? Kjerstad? They rightfully moved him to 1B mainly. Beavers? Fabian? 

I think Westburg needs to start playing a lot of LF and RF and honestly Norby does too or else you make a decision which one you will live with the glove with at 2B and he's your guy next year. Ortiz is already ready to play major league SS and is as good and maybe more consistent than Mateo.

This. At some point we have to acquire a top starter and give up some of our excess infielders. Call me crazy, but I would literally trade Holliday for Dylan Cease straight up 1 for 1. But he's untouchable they say? Why should anybody untouchable? A #1 starter is going to require a blue chip prospect. Why would any team come off of an ace for anything less than a blue chipper?

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who would you take in a series from 10 years ago?

Chris Tillman vs Max Scherzer

Wei-Yin Chen vs Justin Verlander

Bud Norris vs David Price

Are those the odds that our front office is making team building decisions on? … I hope not

• Upvote 1

Bradish should be back on 4/19.  Does Grayson stay up?  Does that knock Kremer or Wells to the pen, which would help solve our middle relief issue?  Also, do we just scrap Hall as a SP?  The rotation and bullpen could get a lot better really fast.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bradish should be back on 4/19.  Does Grayson stay up?  Does that knock Kremer or Wells to the pen, which would help solve our middle relief issue?  Also, do we just scrap Hall as a SP?  The rotation and bullpen could get a lot better really fast.  

Wells is everyone's assumed choice, but if he has another good start and Irvin and has another bad start then I would consider moving Irvin to relief. 

I'm still of the belief that you want your best pitchers, pitching the most innings for you and those are your starters.  If that keeps Wells from rejoining the bullpen, so be it. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Wells is everyone's assumed choice, but if he has another good start and Irvin and has another bad start then I would consider moving Irvin to relief. 

I'm still of the belief that you want your best pitchers, pitching the most innings for you and those are your starters.  If that keeps Wells from rejoining the bullpen, so be it. 

I know but Irvin faced some tough match ups.  Plus, Wells/Kremer fits better in MR/SU.  

• Orioles' Mychal Givens: Slated for bullpen work

Rotowire  APR 7, 2023

Givens (knee) will throw a bullpen session Saturday, Rich Dubroff of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

Givens' recovery from left knee inflammation has been coming along more slowly than expected, but being able to throw from the bump again is an encouraging sign. The veteran reliever figures to need at least a couple rehab appearances before joining the Orioles' bullpen.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:
  • Orioles' Mychal Givens: Slated for bullpen work

Rotowire  APR 7, 2023

Givens (knee) will throw a bullpen session Saturday, Rich Dubroff of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

Givens' recovery from left knee inflammation has been coming along more slowly than expected, but being able to throw from the bump again is an encouraging sign. The veteran reliever figures to need at least a couple rehab appearances before joining the Orioles' bullpen.

Any word on how Givens' bullpen went on Saturday?

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

True.  The bullpen has a MR hole, but that's frustrating because the rest of the team is pretty damn good.  You can point out a particular flaw without saying the whole team is screwed.  

I don't think the rotation is very good, which will screw the whole team if they can't improve it.

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Come on. Do you honestly believe that the Orioles offseason moves indicate that they are trying to compete this year? 

I think they are trying to compete, but as cheaply as possible.  JA has already blamed "the system" the Orioles are in as an excuse for not spending money, and likened the team to other teams who do not spend money.  So yes, I think because of the awful clown at the head of ownership, this is what a "competing" offseason and year will look like.

1 hour ago, HandsomeQuack said:

how long will they ride with three catchers, and who will come up when Bemboom gets sent down? The extra catcher was nice the other day when they were able to pinch-hit for McCann and keep Adley in the DH spot, but the third catcher is pointless when Adley is catching.

Sorry to have to repeat this point: It's no knock on Adley, just a built-in handicap when your best player is a catcher. Yes he may be the best in the game at his position, but the hidden cost is having to allot significant AB's for a backup catcher and a roster spot for a third-string catcher.

For an analogy, what if your best starting pitcher could only pitch 4 innings/start or 100 innings per year? He might be the best in the game, but his ceiling is effectively lowered by the limit on innings and the extra tax on the bullpen. 

It's baked into the Orioles roster for the long term now, so we have to live with this hidden downside of having your superstar and franchise player playing behind the dish. But who knows, maybe Rutschman is so unique that his total skills package makes up for the handicaps. 

Edited by now