Is Anybody else frustrated with the organizations pitching philosophy

backdoorslider

In the MLB, hitters will time and crank 97-98. Velocity isn't enough at this level. Go ahead and blow people away at A and AA and even perhaps AAA. The 97mph fastballs over the plate doesn't cut it in the AL East. I dont care that Hall and Rodriguez can throw 98. Doesnt matter to me.

All I'm asking for is 92-93 on the corner with movement and quality off speed. Is that too much to ask for? 

After a while I tired of seeing Os pitchers pumping in high velocity fastballs over the heart of the plate and getting rocked.

We should be scouting for command, not velocity. Especially with this left field wall keeping everything in the park.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Off-season acquisitions of Gibson and Irvin don't suggest the Orioles are prioritizing velocity over command.  In fact, quite the opposite.

We keep doing this though. Kevin Gausman and Jake Arrieta learned the hard way that 97 over the plate will flat out not get it done. They leave the Orioles and drop a few mph off the fastball and all of a sudden start hitting the corner and dominate baseball games. When are we going to start throwing fastballs low and away?

1 minute ago, backdoorslider said:

We keep doing this though. Kevin Gausman and Jake Arrieta learned the hard way that 97 over the plate will flat out not get it done. They leave the Orioles and drop a few mph off the fastball and all of a sudden start hitting the corner and dominate baseball games. When are we going to start throwing fastballs low and away?

Is that you, Leo Mazzone?

Both Gausman and Arrieta were products of the previous regime.  They do not reflect on the current regime's philosophies and/or failings.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Is that you, Leo Mazzone?

Both Gausman and Arrieta were products of the previous regime.  They do not reflect on the current regime's philosophies and/or failings.

My goal would be to win a lot of baseball games. I can't do this if I consistently acquire pitchers who like to throw 98mph over the middle of the plate.

My goal would be to win a lot of baseball games. I can't do this if I consistently acquire pitchers who like to throw 98mph over the middle of the plate.

You know there's actually a postive correlation between higher velocity and lower run allowance, right?

28 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

In the MLB, hitters will time and crank 97-98. Velocity isn't enough at this level. Go ahead and blow people away at A and AA and even perhaps AAA. The 97mph fastballs over the plate doesn't cut it in the AL East. I dont care that Hall and Rodriguez can throw 98. Doesnt matter to me.

All I'm asking for is 92-93 on the corner with movement and quality off speed. Is that too much to ask for? 

After a while I tired of seeing Os pitchers pumping in high velocity fastballs over the heart of the plate and getting rocked.

We should be scouting for command, not velocity. Especially with this left field wall keeping everything in the park.

I'm more concerned that this might be their actual philosophy. Bring in guys like Gibson and Irvin and expect the park to save them against good lineups. 

Yea and how is that working out for the Os?

Agian, what proof do you have the the Orioles are prioritizing velocity over command in their acquisitions?

I cited both of their major pitching acquisitions this offseason as proof of the opposite.

Would a team that prioritized velocity have signed and traded for Gibson and Irvin?

2 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm more concerned that this might be their actual philosophy. Bring in guys like Gibson and Irvin and expect the park to save them against good lineups. 

I'd much rather run out Gibson a craft veteran who at least gives you chance to win a baseball game. Than a stuff guy like Hall coming in and having a 50 percent chance of self destructing before the 4th inning even begins. 

Just now, backdoorslider said:

I'd much rather run out Gibson a craft veteran who at least gives you chance to win a baseball game. Than a stuff guy like Hall coming in and having a 50 percent chance of self destructing before the 4th inning even begins. 

Then you should be thrilled because the Orioles signed Gibson and sent Hall to the minors to work on command.  They're doing exactly what you want them to do.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

Gibson is an acceptable 5th starter. A rotation full of Gibsons will not win you a championship. Hall may never figure himself out, but the team desperately needs someone with his type of upside to establish themselves and go out-duel the Chris Sales and Gerrit Coles of the world.

There’s philosophy, and then there’s execution.  You can believe 93 on the corner is better than 96 down the middle, and throw one 93 down the middle.  Franchy’s two homers were on mistake pitches, for example.  No philosophy about it.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There’s philosophy, and then there’s execution.  You can believe 93 on the corner is better than 96 down the middle, and throw one 93 down the middle.  Franchy’s two homers were on mistake pitches, for example.  No philosophy about it.  

I agree. The iffy pitching so far has been about execution and some key guys being injured, causing others to be exposed in critical moments in the game. Don't throw meatballs and don't walk guys. We've been doing both, but it doesn't have anything to do with philosophy IMO.